“Very pleased with the MySpa Fitness Center”

InterContinental Miami
Ranked #9 of 122 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Miami, Florida
“Very pleased with the MySpa Fitness Center”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I work in Miami Center; the Hotel adjoins the office tower via connected lobbies. This review focuses mainly on the spa/fitness center facilities, from the perspective of a regular member.

About a year ago, I joined the MySpa Fitness Center, and have been so pleased with my membership there. It's a great place to stop in for a workout or to relax in the steam room, sauna, or poolside. One of the unique and fantastic aspects of the gym is that they provide your work-out gear: shirt, shorts, socks, shoes, and sports bra for ladies. This is a HUGE convenience both for regulars, and for travelers who don't have to pack bulky sneakers and work out clothes.

Recently, the Fitness Center sponsored a fun contest to award the person who visited the gym the most times before Thanksgiving. That extra motivation to get to the gym helped me break through a fitness plateau and lose 5lbs! Great motivation! Catherine and all of the staff are friendly, professional, and a pleasure to see every day.

The gym's cardio machines have televisions, and they face the windows looking out on downtown Miami and Bayfront Park. The windows provide nice natural light for workouts.

Location: the hotel is located on Biscayne Bay in downtown Miami, bordering Bayfront Park. For business clients or people who are in town for litigation matters, I always recommend this hotel. I would also recommend it for people who are planning to cruise out of the Port of Miami, or attend events at the American Airlines Arena. The causeway that takes you to South Beach is also nearby.

Gym and spa, overall: For my colleagues and friends downtown, I would not hesitate to recommend the fitness center. The ambiance of the spa facility is very relaxing. The fitness center, while not huge, has a good variety of free weights, weight machines, and cardio machines. The gym provides plenty of fresh towels, plus the work-out clothes, and the use of a locker while you work out or get a massage.

Price: The price of the membership is fair; the spa services also seem to be priced about the same as other hotel spas, but MySpa often runs promotions that make them an especially good deal. They also have packages which include monthly massages and other services. While I have not opted that that, the prices for those memberships are also fair.

The showers are stocked with soap, shampoo, conditioner, and shaving cream. I don't like the smell of the shaving cream, but that's about my only complaint.

The other aspects of the hotel that I can review are the restaurant in the lobby, and the cafe by the pool. At the restaurant in the lobby, I have had the buffet lunch, which is not cheap, has a good variety, whether you want to eat light or have a feast. The food at the cafe by the pool is just OK (I had pizza), but it is enhanced by the amazing view of the bay and port. I would recommend it, just for that reason. Get a window seat.

Thanks so much to the Hotel Intercontinental, and MySpa, for being an essential addition to my health routine and my daily life!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ponykrash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed November 20, 2011

My hats off to the staff. From the doormen to the spa service; the InterContinenal in Miami has a team of professionals. Thanks for making me feel right at home!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Harbor 1oth floor or above.
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Lovely, large hotel with great bay views and obviously popular with the business crowd. A bankers' convention was in residence during my overnight stay which meant hundreds of suits in the lobby and waits for everything...a wait to check in, a wait until the room was ready, a wait for my bag to be brought up once it was. But the large marble bathroom, updated decor and marvelous views made for an enjoyable stay in spite of the crowd. Suggest asking about occupancy rate if you're planning a relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a high floor with a bay view
Huntsville, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2011

This hotel was just average. I travel a lot for business and pleasure and this hotel did not stand out in any way! Service was good, room was clean, bed comfort was average. There is breakfast available for $20+, wifi available for $18 (and that's the slowest connection speed), the fitness center is $15 per use/person. Anything beyond a bed at this hotel is just a money grab. This was my first experience at an InterContinental and I would not recommend it for the money paid.

Boston
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed here overnight for a business trip. I showed up a little after 3 and was told check in time was at 4 and they asked for my cell to call me when a room was available. They called me about 3 minutes later, so not a big deal, but I've never had that happen at a major hotel before. Room was nice, though the chair that went with the desk wasn't exactly a desk chair (more of a dining table chair) and wasn't very comfortable given the height of the desk and the straightness of the back. They also charged a premium for higher speed wireless - $11 for "standard" 512k speed, and like 18 for 2mb speed, which I thought was lame. great view, good location next to the water (I was in room 1108). The bathroom hadn't been completely cleaned if you looked closely, but again, it was minor. Had breakfast in the hotel restaurant - food was acceptable, service was polite but horribly slow - I kept having to flag down the waiter for more coffee, to place the order, for the check, etc. overall, it was OK but I'd probably stay somewhere else next time. Based on the reviews I read of the hotel restaurant's dinner I ate at Area 31 a few blocks away, which was great.

Room Tip: ask for one looking out over the water - nice views of the boating in the harbor.
Edmonton, AB
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I was at the hotel for a couples nights before the Rick Springfield Cruise. The staff were amazing, eager to help and definitely knowledgeable of the area and its amenities; right from the porter thru to the concierge who do all the extra curricular booking etc. The room was extremely clean, very spacious, and had a good view (back corner so some bldg and some waterview). I had meals in both the dining room (great food but pricey), the swordfish is awesome as well as at the lounge. The bar-tender is a very funny guy and sure knows his stuff. Thanks for the education on different rum drinks!...all in all ... great hotel and would definitely stay again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 18, 2011

The hotel was newly renovated and we really liked their new furniture, new lighting fixtures, new carpet.....the entire hotel feels modern and luxurious.
Our room was spacious and has a view of the water. The automatic window treatments were very unexpected and such a wonderful surprise.
Lots of attention to details: from the floral arrangement in the lobby to the grommets on the shower curtain, everyone was well thought out and stream-lined.
Front desk and concierge were both super curtious.
The security and bell staff were very helpful and not only pointed us to the closest attractions and stores, but also walked with us a little to make sure we were in the right direction.
There is a Walgreens and CVS close by, with in 10 minutes walking.
One negative thing that made this trip a 4-star was the room service: we ordered breakfast and it took them over an hour to deliver it. We called twice to check on it. By the time we got it, it was cold, and overcooked. We did not get all the items we ordered. And when we called a third time to request some ketchup, it took the staff over 20 minutes to get it to us.
Otherwise, it was a good hotel and we would definitely stay there again.
Especially when the NBA lock down is over (if ever), because the hotel is only 5 minutes from the basketball arena.

Room Tip: We booked our room on Priceline and received a delux king room for $120.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple