“Great for business as well as pleasure”

InterContinental Miami
Ranked #9 of 122 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Great for business as well as pleasure”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I've been going to the InterContinental Miami for seven years now. My company holds an annual conference there. We've been extremely happy with the staff and the facilities. It's rare that you find a hotel with meeting space that is spread out--so the rooms are not all adjoining. Those air walls that normally separate meeting rooms do not always provide enough sound buffer. At this hotel, there are lots of meeting rooms that do not share any walls with the next room nearby. So you don't have to worry about the sound.

The food is always very good, and the decor around the lobby and public spaces is very stylish.

The adjacent Bayside Park and Bayside Market Place gives an open, resort-like feel to the property, which you wouldn't find at the other downtown hotels.

The spa has recently been renovated, and it's gorgeous. The pool area is very nice too.

The regular guest rooms are spacious and well furnished. The parlor suites are just like the regular guest rooms on one side, but there is also a very large living room and dining table on the other side.

All in all, this is a great property. I highly recommend it.

1 Thank LosAngelesTravelBug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alabama
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I was able to book this hotel through one of the booking sites where you do not know the hotel name until it is booked. This was the hotel I was wanting! We parked at the hotel on a 1 day visit last Thanksgiving and loved the proximity. We knew we were going to be using the Gray Line buses at the Bayfront Park and this was the perfect place to stay. We were in town for the first night of the NBA finals and it was neat to be right there at the arena where we could walk around and watch. The hotel room was large, the view was out of this world and the bathroon was magnificient! We did not eat at any of the hotel restuarants so I can't comment on that. The pool and grounds were beautiful even though we had no time for relaxation. The parking was expensive but we expected it and the valets were quick & friendly the few times we needed the car while we were there.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Orlando, FL
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed here for 11 days on a part business, part leisure trip with my wife. The hotel lobby is large, attractive and inviting. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. President Obama stayed here for one day while we were here, so it is upscale but not quite a Ritz or W hotel.

The room size was about average and no frills, but it was nice enough. The view of Biscayne Bay was outstanding. Room service food was okay but I wouldn't recommend it. The pool was a little plain, and we were shocked to learn there was no jacuzzi. Bummer. Also, the pool design was very poor. There is a bar and villa area that blocks the entire view of the ocean from the pool. I mean seriously what were they thinking there? Could have been spectacular but instead it is quite boring.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is right in the middle of the Bayside area downtown Miami. It is a quick walk next door to the Bayside Marketplace where there are TONS of shops, bars, restaurants and live music. Walk a little further and you are at the American Airlines Arena where the Miami Heat play. If South Beach is your destination it is just across the bridge, about a 5 minute drive.

Beware if you have a car, like most places in Miami parking is expensive. This hotel is Valet only at 34 bucks per night. There is metered parking which is great for temporary parking but not feasible for an entire trip.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Kingsize rooms are nicer. Ask for a bayside view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I booked this hotel for a business trip and I am globally not satisfied with the service for the following reasons:

- It's more or less a rip-off: everything (and I MEAN it) is chargeable - Fitness? Pay! Wi-fi? Pay! Using the mini bar fridge to put your OWN stuff? Pay! Every single charge is of course "four" star... so beware!

- The personnel is not friendly: this hotel is just a machine that lives for seminars and big events... when you check out they are actually very happy so that they can quickly put another fool in your room.

- Inconsistency: As money is key here they heavily delegated part of the premises to third parties without controling anything ... so what do you get? Inconsistent message from the hotel employees and the employees of the third party contractor. Try for "fun" to understand the Fitness Club rate rules ;)

- Disgusting Food: Worst ever for me at least - at a very high price of course... cocktails: they are OK - average and pricey (but that's the bassis here so I am not complaining)

- Outdated: everything is old so when they provide you with a printer.... welll... it HAS NO USB Connection... of course right!

- the location sucks if you have no car - if you do please pay 34 USD per day thx.

Ok so what are the good stuffs?

- the VIEW - I got a huge "intercontinental club" room in from of the Bay. Fantasti view to say the least.

- the Wifi is fast - that's a real business hotel.

- Rooms are big.

If you get a good discount then go here - this hotel has no soul and is undergoing major refurbishment to remain on track with the competition so they might have some good offers.

Funny enough they provide Wedding package... and here I am very serious: if you want to get married here plz reconsider... ;)

1 Thank Doberri
IHGCare, IHGCare at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear Doberri,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

I am glad to hear you did enjoy a large room with a great view, and our fast internet.
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy the other aspects of your stay.

Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Brenda Johnson
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Future guests:

Don't use wireless Internet services at the Hotel InterContinental unless you want to give hackers access to your banking accounts.

Within hours of using the hotel's secured, wi-fi network for online banking services via my laptop, bank representatives from two different banks with whom I have accounts called me to question unusual charges on my debit cards. One bank denied the charges while the other approved the transaction. Representatives from the latter bank tell me they will correct the error, however.

I reported the incident to hotel representatives, who will investigate the matter. I reported the incident to the Miami police department as well.

Needless to say, the experience was unsettling. It's likely I will not stay at an Intercontinental hotel or property in the future.

1 Thank rwm698
InterContinental_MIA, Director of Hotel Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear rwm698:

First and foremost, please know we are also troubled by your situation and are handling the matter very seriously as we do with all matters that affect the overall experience and perception of our guests. I have personally attempted to get in contact with you through the telephone number we have in our files and left you a message, in hopes we could get in contact as soon as possible since, I really wanted to have the opportunity to explain you all the steps we have taken to guarantee and demonstrate that we do have the ability to protect our valuable guests with a secure HSIA Gateway. We have been carefully researching the matter as well as tested our system, in order to make sure that it is indeed a secure gateway. In doing so, we have reached out and involved the top executives at our WI-FI provider, Superclick networks; we have asked them for their formal explanation and justification, in addition to a valid security certificate which was obtained and is available for you upon request. I am sorry that this situation occurred to you as you mentioned, but we have investigated and the police department is also assisting on that through the detailed information you provided in your report, I just want you to continue counting on us to assist you in anything that we can, so your case can successfully be resolved. Furthermore, we would love to have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel and it would be my pleasure to personally assist you; I will assure you that your perception will change and you will agree that this case was just an unfortunate and isolated case out of our control. I look forward to hear from you soon.

Arminio Rivero
Director of Hotel Operations
InterContinental Miami
Columbus, OH
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Booked this hotel for a weekend n Miami. Service was very good and very attentive from the moment we pulled up. I'm an Intercontinental Ambassador and got an upgrade to a suite that was huge! Rooms are a little dated but the service is great, the beds are super comfotable, and the hotel is very clean and nice. It is a really large place but the service is nice and everyone there offered help to us. Loved the location by the water and the Bayside park. Great value.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 26, 2011

The Hotel was in a perfect location and friendly from the moment I arrived. It was a great place to stay while visiting Miami.

Room Tip: NE View is great. All rooms seemed quiet.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled on business