“Financial Security Compromised”

Chicago, Illinois
“Financial Security Compromised”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Future guests:

Don't use wireless Internet services at the Hotel InterContinental unless you want to give hackers access to your banking accounts.

Within hours of using the hotel's secured, wi-fi network for online banking services via my laptop, bank representatives from two different banks with whom I have accounts called me to question unusual charges on my debit cards. One bank denied the charges while the other approved the transaction. Representatives from the latter bank tell me they will correct the error, however.

I reported the incident to hotel representatives, who will investigate the matter. I reported the incident to the Miami police department as well.

Needless to say, the experience was unsettling. It's likely I will not stay at an Intercontinental hotel or property in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank rwm698
InterContinental_MIA, Director of Hotel Operations at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
Dear rwm698:

First and foremost, please know we are also troubled by your situation and are handling the matter very seriously as we do with all matters that affect the overall experience and perception of our guests. I have personally attempted to get in contact with you through the telephone number we have in our files and left you a message, in hopes we could get in contact as soon as possible since, I really wanted to have the opportunity to explain you all the steps we have taken to guarantee and demonstrate that we do have the ability to protect our valuable guests with a secure HSIA Gateway. We have been carefully researching the matter as well as tested our system, in order to make sure that it is indeed a secure gateway. In doing so, we have reached out and involved the top executives at our WI-FI provider, Superclick networks; we have asked them for their formal explanation and justification, in addition to a valid security certificate which was obtained and is available for you upon request. I am sorry that this situation occurred to you as you mentioned, but we have investigated and the police department is also assisting on that through the detailed information you provided in your report, I just want you to continue counting on us to assist you in anything that we can, so your case can successfully be resolved. Furthermore, we would love to have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel and it would be my pleasure to personally assist you; I will assure you that your perception will change and you will agree that this case was just an unfortunate and isolated case out of our control. I look forward to hear from you soon.

Arminio Rivero
Director of Hotel Operations
InterContinental Miami

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, OH
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Booked this hotel for a weekend n Miami. Service was very good and very attentive from the moment we pulled up. I'm an Intercontinental Ambassador and got an upgrade to a suite that was huge! Rooms are a little dated but the service is great, the beds are super comfotable, and the hotel is very clean and nice. It is a really large place but the service is nice and everyone there offered help to us. Loved the location by the water and the Bayside park. Great value.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 26, 2011

The Hotel was in a perfect location and friendly from the moment I arrived. It was a great place to stay while visiting Miami.

Room Tip: NE View is great. All rooms seemed quiet.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I stayed at this hotel while hosting some veterans. The hotel proudly flew the Marine Corps Flag upon arrival and kindly met us all outside. From the time we stepped foot on the grounds we felt like family. the rooms were perfect, the views of the bay were as well. The service was excellent. Would highly recommend to anyone, especially my brothers and sisters in uniform

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Cancun
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We were thrilled by our stay at this hotel from 5/19-5/23/11 with my daughter.
Everything about this hotel is first class; the rooms, the staff and the restaurants.
We had an incredible suite with beautiful view of Downtown Miami. We dined at every restaurant on the property and were never disappointed.

Our room was always beautifully cleaned and restocked.
The staff at club lounge, Recepcion, Restaurants, Bellman, Doorman were fabulous.

The waiters at the restaurants, bar, the staff at the gym and the spa were all attentive and polite, trying very hard to get you exactly what you want.

InterContinental Miami is a beautiful hotel with excellent staff and is an experience I would repeat.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Miramar Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the InterContinental Miami, the staff of the hotel was very helpful and friendly. The hotel is located in a great location with many restaurants and shopping located within walking distance from the hotel, this was important as we didn't rent a car and this kept cab rides to a minimum. Although we ate out most of the time we did eat at the hotel twice and the food was excellent.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I visited the hotel on occasion of a business lunch and the food was amazing! the service provided was great. The staff is very graceful and helpful and set up the room really nice for our group. I really recommend this hotel; my colleagues were very much satisfied with the services provided an the food is so fresh and excellent! I cannot describe....

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business