“Poor Customer Service + Unuseable Bath/Shower = 1 star” 1 of 5 bubbles

InterContinental Miami
Ranked #8 of 121 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersGold level
new york, new york
“Poor Customer Service + Unuseable Bath/Shower = 1 star”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2011

First, let me note that the night before I stayed at the InterContinental I stayed at the Epic Hotel down the street and provided a five star review for my stay there. The reason for the different star ratings between the InterContinental and the Epic is poor customer service at the InterContinental.

I stayed at the InterContinental on May 3, 2011. I was assigned one of the bi-level suites on the 33rd floor. The room itself was well appointed and all was fine with my stay with the exception of the last 40 minutes I was there. Approximately 20 minutes before I was scheduled to be picked up for my ride to the airport, I attempted to take a shower. The water that came out was only one temperature – extremely hot. Nothing I did to try to cool down the flow would work and I could not therefore take either a bath or a shower. Because I was in a hurry, I opted to wash up using the sink. I then went down to the front desk to check out and to alert the hotel staff to the situation in my suite.

That’s when the poor customer service began. After I received my folio I asked the front desk clerk to please note that the bath/shower in the unit was unusable due to extremely hot water. Rather than simply noting that, the front desk clerk informed me that I “should have called down to let us know so we could have fixed the situation.” I replied, “Well, if I had done that, would I have been able to check out now as I am doing,” to which the front desk clerk sarcastically replied, “maybe.” I then asked her to please clarify her initial statement: “Do you mean that you want guests who are disrobed and trying to use a non-functioning shower to re-robe, call downstairs, wait for an engineer who likely would not be able to fix the situation on the spot, and then (and only then) wash up in a sink?” The front desk clerk responded, “well if it could not have been fixed we could have tried to arrange for you to take a shower in the spa.” I said, “but then I most certainly would not have been able to check out right now.”

At that point I got the sense that the front desk clerk really did not believe that what I was reporting was accurate. Not appreciating the apparent reality that my character and credibility were being challenged, I asked to speak with the front desk manager. I asked that manager to accompany back up to the 33rd floor so I could demonstrate that what I was stating was true. The front desk manager indeed tested the water himself and observed first hand what I had reported to the front desk clerk 10 minutes earlier. I explained to the manager that I was disappointed with how the front desk clerk handled my initial request and that I felt like she was challenging my credibility, thus causing me to now be 10 minutes late for my scheduled airport ride. The front desk manager did nothing more that apologize on behalf of the hotel and to give me his card.

At no point thereafter did anyone at the hotel follow up with me about the situation. No phone call, no email, no nothing. That is in contrast to how the Epic handled the minor hiccups I experienced there. Not only did management at the Epic deal with the situation on the spot and offer me some sort of compensation for my troubles, but two different members of management emailed me within 48 hours after my stay to invite me to speak with them.

In short, a non-functional bath/shower plus poor customer service resulted in a one star rating.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TripfanaticNYC
lichyun, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
Dear TripfanaticNYC:

I would like to apologize for the defect in the shower during your recent stay with us and furthermore, for our shortfall in handling your claim at check-out by our staff. I would really appreciate if you can please provide your contact information to me at li.chyun.yang@ihg.com in order to allow me to discuss your concern further and deliver a satisfactory solution.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience we have caused to you and I am looking forward to personally talking to you in the near future.

Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,206)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St. Augustine, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

The hotel is beautiful and great location. The pool is ultra small, always in the shade. Not a kid friendly pool by any means. The treadmill costs an extra 15 dollars per person on top of the high price just to stay there. The Starbucks in the hotel is never allowed to be open because of the restaurant in the hotel at ultra high prices.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Campinas São Paulo- Brasil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

Wonderfull hotel, clean,great beds, huge bathrrom, big closet, wonderfull view of the Miami Bay and Port.Parking very expensive

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
lichyun, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Dear Valeriachouzal,

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We thank you again for choosing InterContinental Miami and we hope to welcome you back next year during the Sony Ericsson Tournament.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

DH and I have always avoided anywhere with double beds (4ft 6" wide) but here there was no alternative. We had two beds between the 3 of us so i asked for a rollaway for DD and was quoted 35 dollars A NIGHT extra but was then told that it was illegal to have one in the room. Anyway we ended up shoving the two beds together and unearthing a lot of dust.

The view was incredible, we were on the 24th floor and were able to use the Club lounge which was very generous. We saved a lot having breakfast, snacks and drinks there.

The hotel is only a short walk from the Bayside shops and restaurants which we really enjoyed. Plenty of boat trips leaving from there.

The hotel is only a short cab ride from the port where the cruise ships dock.

The cost for internet is RIDICULOUS - 11.95 PER NIGHT. Parking is also extortionate and thankfully we didnt need it. In fact there is a Hertz just a short walk away.

Other places within a short walk include Subway, Marshalls and Ross.

Didnt use the spa but it was expensive so that was the reason why.

The elevators were really fast, we timed them at one second per floor.

Other comments were that when we walked through the front doors it wasnt obvious where reception was and it took a while to locate it tucked around the corner on the left.

We also contacted the concierge about shuttle buses and was told there werent any so we spent 85 dollars on a return cab ride to Dolphin Mall only to later find a letter on the desk of the concierge offering the same trip by shuttle for 10 dollars each return. Grrrrrrrrr.

Room Tip: Watch out for the extras
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

We stayed in Sobe at an art deco the night before.....and it was a pleasure to arrive at the Intercontinental! I am a platinum Priority Club member and was using a couple of free nights for our 3 night stay. They upgraded my room as always an had a great view on the bay from an upper floor. In my opinion....if you are planning a vacation to South Beach.....stay downtown instead of right in Sobe....you get the best of both worlds this way....the ICH is a great option!

• Stayed April 2011
Dear Bustravel2334,

We would like to express our sincere appreciation for your great feedback about your recent stay with us. We are also pleased that you have chosen us, among many other options in SoBe and you had wonderful stay with us. We hope we will have future opportunities when we can welcome you back to our hotel so we can continue to extend superior services to you.

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

Actually writing this in the room, I cannot believe some of the coments about the place.
None of the staff have been snobby to us yet we wander around the hotel in shorts and t shirts, the pool does hit shade at noon, and hits full sun again at 3 for a while but the pool terrace and garden get sun most of the afternoon. The room is plenty large enough for us and we got an upgrade for being a PC card holder - the first night was a free night!

Drinks are what you would expect, everything else is just good value. A hotel seamstress adjusted some clothes for me and asked me if five dollars would be ok? Hell no, if it isn't worth ten it isn't worth doing!

I had 3 packages delivered to the hotel, one of them 3 weeks before we arrived (my mistake) and when we got here, the receptionist told us as soon as we booked in, seriously, the staff are just so helpful, the conscierge has a flyer and a map for everything in the area.
Hard rock cafe and bayside market are 5 minutes walk away, walk into downtown and theres the free monorail as well as walgreens, ross and other conveniences as well as some electronics stores and a few cafe's.

Really enjoying the stay

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view or a bayside view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Mervous,

Thank you for submitting your feedback on the Tripadvisor and taking your valuable time to write this positive comment. It is always a pleasure to receive compliments about our services from our guests, especially from valuable Priority Club members like you. We thank you for choosing InterContinental Miami as your lodging option in South Florida and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

I stayed here one night in April while I was in Miami for work. Very pretty hotel. Very nice room. Both the room and bathroom were spacious and clean. The work station in the room was sufficient. I had a room with a partial view of the bay. I ate in the hotel restaurant because I didn't have time to venture elsewhere - - typical hotel fare but was just fine. The staff were helpful and accomodating. My only "complaint" is that it costs $15 to use the gym facility.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
lichyun, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Miami, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Dear GirlUnderPar:

Thank you very much for submitting your feedback and we are truly pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I will relay your concern about the fee to our Fitness Center to our Director of Spa for future consideration.

Thank you again for choosing the InterContinental Miami and we hope there will be another opportunity to welcome you back and to serve you again.