“Comfortable business hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Comfortable business hotel”
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Well located hotel with quality service at a good price. Attended a conference and several of the rooms were less suitable for the kind of event that was occurring--limited wifi and some rooms quite dark and lecture/pew style rather than conversational. But easy to navigate and use, and affordable.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed here for a conference my wife was attending, but with a last minute change in our travel arrangements necessitating an early morning arrival, she asked whether it would be possible to get an early check-in. Not only was this arranged, but we were upgraded to a suite as a standard room wasn't ready. Claret took great care of us and she was exceptional, having informed the front desk so they were aware of our situation when we arrived. Every staff member was most accommodating. Perhaps there are some rooms that prompted some of the other negative reviews, but ours was fine. Yes, the closet arrangement is a little unusual as another guest wrote, but we didn't spend much of our stay in it. My wife was satisfied with the workings of her meeting, finding the food exceptional, and we had an very good meal one night in the Riverwalk Cafe. Our server, Carlos, was most attentive to our needs. On Thursdays they have a three-course special for $25.00 with a choice of any starter, entree and dessert off the regular menu, a great deal, especially as my entree alone would have been $10.00 more. Negatives? Even on the 19th floor there is a constant rumble of traffic on US 1 below as it crosses over the drawbridge, hence some difficulty getting to sleep. There is no onsite parking, although valet is available, and if one doesn't plan on leaving, there is a secure parking garage with a walkway to the hotel at $19.00 for 24 hrs. Overall good for business and conferences.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This property was probably a gem when it opened in the early 1980s as one of the original Hyatts. Big blocks of cement that meld into the attached convention center. But it hasn't been updated much since then. The lobby has been updated a bit, but my room hadn't. Old furniture and bathroom fixtures, really beat up carpeting and bedding, and 1980s motif. Most hotels are on a seven year replacement schedule. This one clearly isn't observing that rotation. It's functional for a meeting, but there are a lot of new hotels and old hotels that have been maintained in the area.

Room Tip: Surely there are floors that have been updated. Ask for one.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed April 5, 2014

My family and I spent two nights at the Hyatt Regency in Miami. We were pleased to be upgraded to a suite when we checked in. The staff were all very pleasant and accommodating, and the room was clean and quiet with a good view of the river and downtown. The only thing I didn't like was parking was very expensive. We did find a way around this. If you self park in the parking garage the hotel uses, and you are parked after 6pm and out of the garage by 9am, then the overnight parking is just $5. That worked for us since we were out all day when in Miami. if you have to go in and out then the valet service at $35 is the only real option. The pool and gym are both small, though both are nice. A lot of reviewers commented on the dated decor. I'd rate it as early 1990's decor. It was very clean and well maintained, and all in all a quality hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cougski
Oregon
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I can completely understand some of the 1-3 star ratings here based on how busy it can get. Based on the convenient location of this hotel in a metropolitan city like Miami, it's not surprising that the lobby and valet parking area sometimes resemble the 405 in LA during rush hour. If you're looking for a quiet, slow-paced place to find some peace and quiet, you'll need to suspend such expectations until you broach the gauntlet that can be the lobby, elevator and valet parking area and keep walking until you reach your room. And if you're there during spring break, prepare for a very diverse crowd wandering the property alongside of the business travelers bouncing between rooms at the adjoining convention center. The only other complaint I have is related to the so-called gym. There was only one working treadmill (the other was broken) and the space seemed cramped and sub par.

So, why the five stars? First, the room was nice. I found it modern, comfortable and well appointed. The view was outstanding. Next, the food. we ate in the restaurant and also had room service in the morning. The prices seemed reasonable and the food quality was very high. And lastly, the real reason for the slightly inflated review: the service. The service at the front desk was excellent. The cleaners, maintenance staff and restaurant employees were very helpful and friendly--unusually so. However, the prize in my book for most amazing service goes to Michael, one of the bellhops.

Michael has evidently worked at this hotel for years and his commitment to customers was exceptional. At one point during my stay, my room door lock malfunctioned and I was no longer able to enter my room using my card key. The front desk line was unusually long and I found myself stranded in the lobby, late for a conference presentation with my gym clothing on after a morning workout--very awkward and annoying. I approached Michael and asked him for assistance. While he was obviously harried by the small army of guests in the lobby, he put down luggage he was carrying, accompanied me up to my room and helped me assess the door lock as being defective. When I mentioned this situation later to the manager, she also handled the situation gracefully with an eye towards improving the situation. Kudos to the hotel manager who takes steps to improve a situation that leaves a guest displeased with a situation.

As if Michael hadn't already gone above and beyond, when we left, he spent time sharing more about things to see at our final destination and was kind enough to walk back into the hotel to secure a complimentary guide book for us. Hyatt, please take care of this very gracious and competent employee so he can continue to elevate the reputation of your service-centric hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights to attend a conference. The wifi was nonexistent and no wired option offered so if you intend to do any work, then avoid this hotel. The room's lighting was very dim & depressing. Dusty lampshades & overall blah stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank sistermercy

Travelers are raving about these Miami hotels

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt for several days. It was cheaper than staying in South Beach. You can walk along the water near the hotel (not the beach, but a pedestrian area near some boats). It's in downtown Miami, but you can take the MetroMover (which is a free, above-ground train) to get to various attractions (highly recommend a house tour of the mansion called Vizcaya--take the MetroMover and connect to the MetroRail via Government Center; also, 10th St. Promenade is a cute area with restaurants that you can easily get to via MetroMover).

The MetroMover is connected to the hotel, but you have to walk through a series of hallways and you should ask for directions because it's sort of hidden. There is also a free trolley that goes around town. To get to South Beach, you should probably take a cab or drive. We didn't bring a car, and it was fine. We didn't want to be stuck in traffic or deal with parking.

The room was quite large. It had a nice view, but was a little dated, with a small sink. I didn't sleep particularly well in that bed, but I'm very sensitive to different beds and pillows. We didn't have any issues with noise (and I'm an extremely light sleeper) because there is a loud A/C fan you can control in the room, which is genius and drowns out the noise from planes and cars. However, when we got to the hotel, the bathroom floor wasn't clean, but on the subsequent days, they did clean it. I hate to complain about it because I’m sure it’s not easy to be a hotel maid, but I haven’t had that issue before at other hotels.

When we arrived, they had the thermostat in the room set at 60 degrees F, which was freezing. Why you would waste money to make it freezing, I have no idea. The lobby was also pretty cold, but the weather was lovely outside. Strange. Also, many "snow birds" come to Florida to enjoy the warm weather, so we don't want to go to the hotel and then have to wear a sweater inside when we can do that at home.

Our flight got in fairly late and the restaurant was closed, so we had fish tacos at the bar, and they were excellent, and the service at the bar was also excellent. They have free wifi in the lobby and the rooms; you have to follow the instructions for both because it's not intuitive. In the lobby, they are constantly cleaning, which sounds like a good thing, but I set down my cup of tea for 2 seconds to get some food at the counter, and they already threw my tea in the garbage, which I had about 2 sips of.

At one point during our stay, there was a noxious smell in the hallway near our room, and they had removed a bunch of box springs and a desk from the nearby rooms and put them in the hallway. They never told us why, so of course I started imagining something bad was going on. Some information from the management would have been nice.

They do have a pool, but no spa that I could see, and the pool was on the small side. It was just Okay.

Overall, we had a good stay. It wasn't super fabulous, but it was acceptable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple