“Okay; could be so much better.”

Hyatt Regency Miami
Ranked #46 of 125 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My sister and I stayed at this Hyatt in downtown Miami for one night before our cruise. It was on Dec. 1, 2013. This was the "un-named" hotel I received after bidding through Priceline. It happened to be a popular night so the rate was a bit more than I really wanted to pay. But it is only about 10 minutes by taxi to the Port of Miami.

All the staff members were friendly and helpful, but the hotel looked and smelled old and tired. It definitely needs to be updated with fresh paint/colors and carpet/window treatments/linens.

There is a restaurant inside the hotel but we thought it was a bit pricey. We ate dinner at a café down the street. And we had the hotel's breakfast bar yogurt-fruit-granola parfaits the next morning. It was very good; we ate in the dining area which overlooks the riverwalk behind the hotel---very pretty!

For the price I paid, I would be looking at other downtown options for something newer/fresher. But this was fine for a one night stay. The hotel is actually connected to the convention center next door. So, I assume they get a lot of convention business/travelers. It seems better suited to that than to a vacation hotel. One more thing---there are small room balconies, but no way to access them! There is no door to the balcony. Frustrating!

Room Tip: Ask not to be overlooking the convention center roof.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank myrabanjo

Reviewed July 7, 2013

For the price, there is nothing better. The view was great and it was right in downtown but not too close to be annoyed with all the hubbub. Our room was HUGE and we were very pleased with it. Miami is a great city but if you stay in the wrong place, you're experience will be less than perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor possible to get the best views!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rachel W
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Okay I'm getting older and I have to admit that I am gettting finnicky in my ways. I have no problem telling it like it is. This hotel offered all the basics but went above and beyond on their customer service. I enjoy going into a friendly and welcoming staff. The night of the 4th of July, rained hard and since we were out at the park marveling at the fireworks....40 of us walked in drenched and the staff delivered additional clean towels to our rooms within 10 minutes. I will make this my personal hotel to stay when I visit Miami! Congratulations to all employees there and see you next time.

Room Tip: All rooms have beautiful views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank babslicon
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Just got back from my 2nd stay at this hotel and I must say that even though the hotel is one of the older ones, my stay was very comfortable! It was the best I've ever slept away from home because the beds are so comfortable and my sheets were always changed. Service is exceptional with team members always smiling and greeting you daily. I must give special shout outs to Juan and Claudia(riverwalk cafe), Nairomi (front desk), Michael (concierge desk), the housekeeping ladies (i didn't get their names but they cleaned the 15th floor during the period 23rd June-2nd July) and the lady at the Regency club room(didn't get her name but she was very polite and professional). To the management of this hotel, your asset is definitely your team! They always went above and beyond to ensure that my friends and I were happy and I would like to say THANK YOU!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank R0byn08
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We checked the beds in our room and found them with hair and sand, the maid didn't change the sheets. I complained and was given a new room but the management neglected to document the new room so in the middle of the night their security guard broke into our room accusing us of not paying for the room. The manage said he would credit my credit card for the room and 9 days later that still hasn't been done. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Steve C
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is one of the older hotels in Miami. Stayed here for one night and enjoyed it very much. It is well maintained and furniture is modern. Location in the heart of downtown near the AA arena is fantastic. Mid priced but for the prime location is worth every penny. Staff was very friendly and welcoming and even upgraded me. Very great way to take care of guests. Lack of Internet access in rooms was a problem as I work a lot, however all other stay was good. Watch out for the 30 dollar valet charge. However worth everything within walking distance might be safer than driving for a night of fun. For people with the extra cash to burn Marriott around the corner has top lodgings. This is a better option for the thrifty yet discerning traveller. Ask for rooms with water views.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Obi1234
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I’ve stayed at this hotel on many occasions, and yes, it has improved over the past two years in terms of physical condition. That said, it started at a pretty low point and now, is average at best.

The rooms are very outdated in décor; not sure if this is a Hyatt standard, or if it’s a one-off, but the furniture is bland, worn and not very functional. A lot of noise from the streets and canal can be heard in the room (be sure your room does not face the very loud bridge); there is apparently no soundproofing on connecting room doors, either. High-speed internet is slow, and while the hotel has nice TVs, there are no HD channels, so all channels are somewhat blurry.

The restaurant and bar are OK – nothing fancy, but decent for a quick meal.

Front desk service is very attentive, but curiously, there is no express check-out – you must stop at the desk or kiosk to check-out and receive a statement.

All in all an OK stay, but this tired hotel does not live up to a “luxury” hotel brand promise.

Room Tip: stay away from bridge-facing rooms to avoid excessive noise
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business