“Good hotel awkward hotel parking”

Hyatt Regency Miami
Ranked #49 of 123 Hotels in Miami
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Good hotel awkward hotel parking”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

All around good. Starbucks coffee for sale in the lobby. But self parking is shady. It's shared next door with the convention center. There's a few homeless guys lingering around the parking lot unfortunately. Never threatened but took me aback at first. Hotel gym isn't that bad. Good front desk service. Inconvenient that you have to pay for wifi.

• Stayed July 2012
MHyatt313, Sales Coordinator at Hyatt Regency Miami, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Salamantino,

Thank you for your warm and positive comments about the Hyatt Regency Miami. We appreciate your insights and look forward to serving you again in the future.

The Hyatt Regency Miami Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The lobby area fools you into thinking that this may be a nice 3 1/2 or 4 star hotel but when you get to the rooms, they're 2 star quality. They even upgraded me to a suite and that room was just a bigger dissapointment. FYI-don't expect to take a picture of the outside- the windows are filthy.

Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Hyatt Regency Miami.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and for taking your time to leave a review. We value your business and we will certainly evaluate your suggestions. We appreciate your comments as this feedback allows us to further improve our property. We hope to welcome you once again in the future.

The Hyatt Regency Miami Team
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 16, 2012

First, let me be up front and say that due to everything that happened, the management of the hotel tried really hard to be nice and compensate me, including crediting two free nights and giving me a meal credit, as well as bringing snacks to my room on the last night. Thru everything, the management was very, very kind. But it doesn't change the fact that the property itself was absolutely horrible!

Despite the kindness of the management, my property was so horrible that I just had to write a review to prevent others from experiencing this hotel.

I went to this hotel because a conference I was attending was being held here. I arrived on Wednesday afternoon to a beat up, absolutely filthy, smelly room. I asked for another room and was told the only available room was a handicapped room. Since it was cleanER (still old and gross but tolerable) and smelled some better I took it. Late that night when I went to go to bed, I saw that the sheets were dirty. There were two beds in the room. So I slept in the other bed that appeared to have clean sheets. Thursday morning I left a note on the desk (with a tip) asking for no air freshener and clean sheets. I also left a note on the opened bed, right by where the dirt was on the sheets. I came back to my room in the early afternoon. Room had been cleaned, but no clean sheets. So I called housekeeping and went to the front desk asking for clean sheets. I came back to the room a few hours later - still no clean sheets. So I went back to the front desk. Finally, after the fifth request, I got clean sheets!

Then Friday at about 5 we returned to the room to find that it had not been cleaned all day, with a note saying that since we requested privacy they did not clean our room. Our privacy request was still in the back of the door! We never requested privacy! Something seemed fishy, but we just asked for cleaning at that time. Came back to the room at 8. Still no cleaning. With a migraine and desperately wanting to take a shower, asked for just clean towels to be brought to the room. It took 40 minutes to get clean towels.

Then Saturday, our room was serviced - but we were not given wash cloths! They did come when requested though.

Additionally, the roof in the hallway had a water leak, and there was another water leak in the room where we stored all of our materials for the conference, ruining product.

And to top it all off, at check out the charged me the wrong rate for the room. Thankfully we caught it and it was fixed. But just one more frustration.

Like I said, everyone was really nice. But the property is just awful. I have traveled thru all 50 states, much of Canada, Hong Kong and China. In all of that travel, I can only remember two hotels worse than this one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank srbot
MHyatt313, Sales Coordinator at Hyatt Regency Miami, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Hyatt Regency Miami. Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and for taking your time to leave a review.

Most certainly the conditions you noted are not typical of our standards and you can be assured that we have not only addressed these issues, but have taken corrective action to prevent similar occurrences in the future. We hope you will once again return to our property, allowing us another opportunity to serve you in the manner you have come to expect from a Hyatt hotel.

Thank you for your feedback and sincerely hope you will visit with us again in the near future.

Marisol Quintana
Cary, NC
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Thanks to having a good special it wasn't super expensive, but still expensive for an old hotel the rooms are weird, the internet terrible. Food though was great at both the breakfast place and the bar.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Worldwide
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel, apparently opened in 1982, is convenient to the Riverwalk, Knight (convention and event) Center, and the Knight Center Metro Mover station. The hotel is helped by this location, and by all the staff that I encountered. It is hampered by maintenance, and IMHO safety and convenience issues that might be understandable (if still unacceptable) for an old Motel 6, but not for a Hyatt (if Hyatt wants a reputation for excellence).

Convenience issues:

The room was of reasonable size (sorry, forgot to measure it). The main part of the bedroom was separated from the bathing/washing-vanity/closet/dressing area by a wall about 5+ feet tall. The Tub/shower and toilet were in a separate small room off the dressing/vanity area, as was a walk-in closet with iron, ironing board, and safe (large enough for a fairly large laptop computer, camera, etc.). This may sound good, as one person can use the toilet or shower, and another use the sink. But the toilet-tub cubicle's door would wipe you out if it were opened while you were at the sink, and the door to the walk-in closet impedes traffic flow into the area. Those doorways should have been designed/hinged differently from the outset, or modified by now.

I could not find instructions on use of the ethernet “data ports”. These are listed as room features on the hotel's Website, and are visible and marked on both phones in the room. But there are no instructions on their usage in the room, and the staff that I talked with about them had no clue that they even existed, let alone how to use them. Of course, their use is technically straightforward; but administration may have some issues. I carried a short Ethernet cable to use – as I would rather use wired than wireless connectivity. But, as WiFi was (previously undocumented) gratis with my room rate, I just accepted the slower WiFi – which WAS slow. The hotel advertises two flavors of WiFi: slow for $9.95 per day, and presumably faster for $14.95 per day. Compared to increasing numbers of hotels with gratis WiFi, this sends a signal about management that is reinforced by maintenance and safety issues noted below, though countered in part by the great staff whom I encountered.

Tap water in Miami is not exactly delicious compared to some locales. A 1-litre bottle of drinking water was in the room as either a nice touch or a small scam, as there was no message as to possible gratis status or cost. Of course, I could have checked with staff. But I decided to take the lack of documentation as a sign that “the bottle wasn't really there for me.”

The aforementioned coffee maker came with coffee (1 packet of regular “Arabica” [sic], 1 of decaf) and tea (bags: 1 black, 1 “decaf” [sic]). But no carafe. Lacking instructions for safety or convenience, and lacking a carafe, I guessed and used 2/3 of a (paper) drinking cup. I then placed that paper coffee cup where the carafe would go. The result? My in-room morning coffee tasted like Miami dishwater: e.g. rather mediocre even by Motel 6 standards.

There was no fridge/minibar or microwave. To me, such things are almost standard issue these days – but missing here. On the plus side, there was an iron and ironing board.

All lights worked, except the ones next to the beds which were both dead (yes, I looked for hidden or quirky master switches elsewhere, but did not find one for these lights).

I was told at checkin that there were only rooms with two queen beds when I was offered my choice of high, mid-level, or low floor. Considering the hotel's location attached to the convention center, there should be enough solo guests to justify some (or more than they had but didn't mention?) single-bedded rooms – for more spaciousness for guests not needing two queen beds.

Chairs: The room had a so-so task chair (a type designed to look OK to the uninitiated, until one tries to use it for 15+ minutes), and an “office-style visitors chair” that's more akin to a dining chair in a restaurant. Neither chair was really comfortable to sit in, e.g. to read or watch TV. With an increasing number of hotels providing quite comfortable seating these days, this Hyatt is at a disadvantage.

Other furniture: Best Western or Quality Inn quality. Not what one would expect of a Hyatt. Mattresses, however, were firm yet plush (very comfortable IMHO). Each bed has three sleeping pillows, a cylindrical bolster, and two large throw pillows. Great if you want a pillow fight or want to resemble a chimichanga smothered in pillows at night. I don't use any pillow. So the second bed served as storage for those dozen pillows. I wonder how many others do that, and how many just throw them on the floor?

Safety issues:

One fire sprinkler sits over the entrance door, which is recessed far away from the main part of the room. The other sprinkler sits above the wash basin (e.g. along the same wall as the entrance door). No sprinkler at the center or other side of the room – thus leaving areas unreachable by the existing sprinklers. Shouldn't this design flaw have been fixed (forcibly by fire inspectors if not proactively by hotel management) by now?

Coffee maker. No instructions. No carafe (presumably one uses one of the supplied paper drinking cups?). Potentially a safety issue.

There was a room safe – a plus.

Maintenance issues:

Many decades/layers of (currently) mustard-beige-colored paint appeared to be on walls, trim, and doors. Seemingly applied as on the hull of a ship (liberally slobbered on for coverage – but with no prep or follow-up to sand down blems - which thus accumulate over the hotel's 30 years). Numerous nicks and scuffs since the last painting were not touched up or cleaned.

Multi-hued mustard-beige carpeting may be adequately un-worn. But it certainly looks like it hasn't had a thorough cleaning since installation.

Plumbing fixtures are old – perhaps originals. The diverter knob in the “high-flow” bathtub faucet only “diverted” about half the water to the shower, leaving a healthy flow-spray through the faucet – perhaps a feature to “power wash&massage” your feet? - but a costly one for water conservation. The toilet is also an old (original?) high-flow model, though adjusted to a low fill level in the tank. I'm not one for changing fixtures “just to be new”, but some of these under-performing fixtures are past their refresh/replacement dates.

Public areas. Of course, this is not a new hotel. Those who want the latest may complain about furniture, layout, color scheme, or level of wear of some appointments. But I found the public areas adequately comfortable, functional, and well-used by guests (thus successful) - by 3.5 star hotel standards.

Staff: An asset to this hotel. All that I encountered were professional and pleasant. The person who checked me in could anticipate each question that I had, and answered each very thoroughly and cheerfully. I hope to see her as a VP (if not higher) for Hyatt some day. The only issue might be the complete lack of unfamiliarity by all staff that I talked with with the wired networking (mentioned on the hotel's Website and) apparently available in my room.

Note: I arrived, departed, and moved around by public transport. Though I saw indications of the strange, and potentially inconvenient, parking situation (described here by several other reviewers), I escaped having to deal with that issue.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank EarthlingOnline
Toronto
Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely lovely staff who are very helpful and very friendly. Very good breakfast with many choices such as 3 types of meat products, 3 types of fruit, 3 types of eggs, 3 kinds of cheese, cereal, breads, smoked salmon, juices, and many types of sweets. Enjoyed the club floor free beverages and some snacks. Overall great balue downtown but about 15 minutes to beach by taxi 20 dollArs.

1 Thank GlobalCitizenM
Michigan
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Stayed here for one night prior to taking a Royal Carib cruise out of port of miami. Got a great AAA rate at slightly over $100 with breakfast buffet included.

Check in: We arrived late, service at front desk was wonderful, which was good because their self check in kiosks weren't working. The room was on a high floor but there are lots of elevators so we didn't wait long. Had a cityscape view with a rooftop soccer field (which was neat) and the river. The room was mostly clean with a marble top desk and a new tv. Bath products were "White Ginger Portico Spa" - not bad. And a travel toothpaste! A/C worked well with a good fan setting for white noise. Ample luggage room. Bed was comfortable.

Room negatives: The lighting was poor, esp the bathroom area. No refigerator. No internet unless you are willing to pay (though I could't find a rate sheet in the room) and you MUST have a t-mobile hot spot account. I don't even know what that is.

Food: Pepsi products in vending machine, $1 pop (yay!). Evening bar serves amazing wings and nachos until midnight. Bar service was very good. Breakfast buffet was just okay; a few hot items but mostly continental. But you MUST arrive by 9 am or you will seriously wait an hour to be be seated - the line at 930 was about 50+ people long. The servers move fast but there aren't enough of them so everything takes a while or your request is simply forgotten. Had we not had it free in our room package we would have had breakfast elsewhere. Menu items for breakfast (like carmelized banana whole wheat pancakes) $11-14.

Nearby: CVS very close, also 24 hr Walgreens, starbucks and liquor store (open 9 am to 1 am most days) all within 4 blocks. River walk isn't much since it stops at private yacht clubs after a few hundred feet but it's still nice to see. TIP: go out the back of the hotel to access the river walk, not the front.

Check out: Kiosks working but printed me a completely blank receipt. Ended up further back in line than if I'd just started there.

Overall: We would most likely stay here again as it was an affordable, nice, quiet, comfortable pre cruise stay and only a short cab ride to the port (many of cabs out front 24/7 by the way). And were able to walk to buy sunscreen and 'beverages' for the cruise.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends