“Beautiful hotel .. not so beautiful experience with the front desk clerk” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle

Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle
Ranked #75 of 122 Hotels in Miami
A TripAdvisor Member
“Beautiful hotel .. not so beautiful experience with the front desk clerk”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2004

I stayed two nights at Grove Isle Inn in a beautiful marina suite for my 30th birthday. I also booked 3 standard rooms for my guests that could rival the suite. Rooms were amazingly beautiful, the pool was gorgeous, and the staff, overall, were exquisite.
However, the front desk clerk on duty during the mornings during my stay left little to be desired. Evelyn was EXTREMELY rude to me, and also the 10 guests I had booked into the hotel. She was not only extremely rude during check in Saturday morning, but continued her poor attitude throughout Saturday afternoon, and well into Sunday. It was to the point which no one wanted to walk through the lobby because they would have to endure the scowl on her face.
I was even awoken at 8 am on Sunday and asked to come into the lobby, (in my pajamas ) by one of my guests having difficulty checking out due to the fact that they wanted to pay for the room even though the room was initially booked under my name. While standing at the desk , I overheard Evelyn ask my guest if anything was "missing from the room" (as opposed to asking if the mini bar had been used ), my guest replied with an "excuse me", with which Evelyn replied "did you take anything from the room ?"
Also, when asked if the room charges could be split 3 ways, we were met with a roll of the eyes.
After my guests departure at 8 am I returned to my room to find that coincidentally enough, my suite key had suddenly been de-programmed. Luckily there was someone in the room that let me back in.
Upon my check out I was met with more attitude and when I presented my credit card I was told that I was giving her the wrong card. I explained to her that this would have to be impossible being that I only have one credit card that I use for personal use. I asked if she would compare the card presented to her to the card that was imprinted upon check in and she quickly refused to do so, adding the comment, "your credit card is wrong, but I guess I will fix it."
Upon leaving the hotel, I was thankful that the valet service was so extremely kind and helpful. It definitely helped soothe over the entire "front desk experience".
In fact, I am very thankful to all the other hotel employees and even the front desk clerk on night duty for all their kindness and helpfulness during our stay.They definitely made the stay worthwhile and overshadowed the horror show called Evelyn.

I filled out a comment card and handed it to a manager, praising the entire staff (except Evelyn) for making my stay such an overall pleasure.
When contacted by the general manager who received my comment card, I was told Evelyn was under a lot of pressure and felt so bad about her behavior that she called the G.M. at home Sunday after my check out, to explain that she hadn't been very hospitable to one of the guests. { Talk about covering your own butt. } I wonder which "one" of us eleven guests she was talking about.
I find it amazing that she suddenly felt bad when I left and was told that I had turned in a comment card grading her behavior, but couldn't find it in her "professional" self to have felt bad on Saturday morning when she began being a NIGHTMARE to both me and my guests.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
South Hadley, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2004

My husband, daughter and I stayed at the Grove Isle while we were in Florida for our son's graduation from college. What a way to celebrate! It was fabulous! We were looking forward to some peace and quiet and it couldn't have been better. The room was beautiful, extremely well appointed and comfortable, with a beautiful water view. The pool area is gorgeous, although we spent most of our time under palm trees looking out at Key Biscayne. Gorgeous view. Stunning location. Breakfast was so-so, but the breathtaking view and relaxing atmosphere more than compensated. I loved this hotel. It is a great place if all you want to do is relax in a beautiful, peaceful setting. Hotel staff were also top notch.

2 Thank Spice27
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2004

My husband and I just spent a night here for our anniversary. The pool area was crowded and the pool bar staff wasn't very attentive. But the views are fabulous and you can't beat a nap in a hammock! Dinner at Baleen was fabulous and the wait staff is superb. The room was beautiful with a gorgeous view and nice patio. The hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating. We got a good deal on the room at the grove isle website.

• Stayed June 2004
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bbg8r
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2004

We just got back from the Grove Isle Resort and can't say enough good things about it. It is a charming smaller hotel with only 49 rooms.
But, it has such a warm and friendly feel. Our room was great with a view of the Bay and downtown Miami. There is a 3/4 mile jogging/walking path around the island which was great. The pool is lovely and quiet.
Although some feel the resort is isolated, we found it to be peaceful and VERY close to the action on South Beach and downtown. We found the food to be superb and very well priced for the quality. Our favorites were the oatmeal at breakfast, the BLT salad at lunch and ALL the desserts!! The outdoor portion of the restaurant is beautiful and peaceful both day and night. Roberto, the Manager and Jose the bellman were very helpful and charming as was the rest of the staff. We will definitely be returning in the near future.

1 Thank kimb27