WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle

Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle
Ranked #80 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Evergreen, Colorado
“What an amazing business event”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Everything about this place was wonderful.

The service the food and being right by the water. My husband's Company arranged for music which just made it all the more fun. We were greeted with Mohitos and there was a full bar for those who didn't want one.

What a fabulous evening. Everyone enjoyed themselves.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

This past weekend my girlfriends and I spend a wonderful girls-only evening at the Grove Isle & Spa in honor of my birthday. Upon arrival the valet attendant – Harrison – was very warm and welcoming. At the front desk we were greeting with warm smiles – Becky quickly had us all set! She was also our check out! After quickly checking into the bayfront room we decided to take a dip in the pool. We were concerned that it was a bit cold but were pleasantly surprised that the water was nice and warm. We were able to swim around for about an hour in the middle of winter overlooking the bay! WONDERFUL! The pool area has a private bar where drinks were brought to us by Felipe – I had a delicious ginger margarita and my friend had the strawberry muddled margarita. She said she could do w/all the little extra pieces going up her straw but otherwise it was delicious! Back in our room we had two comfy queen size beds and our French doors opened up to a private walkway straight to the bay! Beautifully romantic for a couples weekend and refreshing for a girls getaway! There was a hint of humidity smell in the air but nothing that can’t be fixed by letting the room air out a bit –this is South Florida after all and humidity is a factor. After a restful night (and no noise level whatsoever!) we got ready to head to Gibraltar. The manager Rodolfo was very social and accommodating – we couldn’t make up our minds inside or outside. After being settled outside we decided to go back inside – too humid! Go figure…Jose, our waiter, was attentive and outgoing but as the restaurant filled up his attention quickly fizzled out a bit – it was made up by offering us some desert and coffee on the house. Thankfully the view was amazing and the atmosphere was light and refreshing! I ordered the Tuna Tostadas – AMAZING! Then I had the street tacos – the tuna was the best hands down! Warm bread and butter was also at the table. My friend had the Blackened Mahi Tuna w/truffle fries – she said it was perfectly spicy and the truffle fries were just BUTTERY DELICIOUS! The mimosas were just what we needed for our brunch and had a few of them before calling it a day! We walked around for a bit and enjoyed the scenery! To have such a gorgeous day in the middle of winter is a total blessing! Grove Isle is a hidden little vintage gem in a very secluded area of Coconut Grove. Don’t judge it for the “modern” luxuries it lacks but love it for the romantic and charming vibe it gives! One night made me feel rejuvenated, focus and centered!

The only cons – we ordered ice and the bucket never arrived. We did a second callback and finally we had ice! Also, we were in need of water but it was way late in the night – after 10pm according to a gentleman at the hotel there is no room service or any type of vending machine to get some water. We were in dire need of some water but managed to get our hands on some can sodas. Nothing to deter our nice getaway but something to keep in mind for next time if you will need these items!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Bluffton, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

A beautiful location but the service is terrible and there seems to be no one in charge. We ordered two drinks for dinner and the waitress without asking had them made with premium liquor, charging $13 each. next they automatically added a 20% service charge. The "breakfast package" which supposedly is a full breakfast includes only one item on the menu. There was only one robe in the room, the bidet did not work, there was no HDTV, and the thermostat didn't work. Additionally, the maids had not cleaned the room by 4 PM the next day. $273, plus $66 in taxes, and $24 a day for parking. They have seen the last of us!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeff s
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Recently stayed at this small hotel, whilst the rooms are slightly dated the hotel is set in an amazing location, stunning views and an easy drive into downtown Miami. Food is great, even had my hair done on site…. would definitely go back for a couple of nights.

1 Thank Alison V
Portimao, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

This hotel does a great job convincing potential brides & grooms to hold their event here, but once they've got your cash, it becomes a stressful experience. They booked my daughter's wedding for 4 pm but neglected to inform her that guests can only check in at 4 pm - so where were they supposed to get dressed for the event?? They offered a "special" rate for a block of rooms but then we discovered lower rates not only on sites like Expedia, but on the hotel's own website! Communication with staff is nearly impossible because their emails were practically illiterate. I got the runaround from the manager, who apparently tries to pass people off to others so as not to have to make any decisions.

My daughter's fiancé decorated the outdoor venue with pretty lights and was offered a fair amount of money by the hotel to leave them there. The following day, just before another wedding, they changed their minds - we presume they thought we'd just leave the expensive lights. We didn't - hope the next couple didn't mind getting married in the dark. Why don't they have their own lights?

We were not permitted to remove any of the leftover food from the catered event, even though we had obviously paid for it.

The hotel itself is a bit of a relic, but supposedly it is going to be demolished and rebuilt, so perhaps that's why they don't bother much with upkeep and maintenance. Food in the restaurant is good, but overpriced.

At checkout time, they had included valet and resort fees that were not supposed to be included in the bridal package and it took me quite some time to get it adjusted.

The wedding was fantastic, but only because my daughter and her husband planned it all themselves and provided the lights and decorations.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Zilana13
Pennington, New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

I can't think of one positive thing to say about this hotel. I was so disappointed, and I am not a pessimist!

The problems I encountered during my 4 day stay (I left a day early because I had enough!) were:

1) I reserved a room with 2 queen beds (there were 4 of us) but got a king with a pull out couch. There were no other choices. They were booked and must have given away my room because I booked thought Expedia.

2) Asked for a pull away cot...they said they were all out of them. So, I slept on the pull out and my daughter slept on the ceramic floor on the couch pillows. (They actually gave her instructions on how to properly sleep on the floor!). "Take the cushions off the couch, and we will bring up extra sheets." No blanket, just extra sheets!

3) $24 extra a night to park your car. No choice but to use the valet service, which was a total pain in the neck....waiting, waiting, and if you have to get up early and get out, no one is there to get your car! I had to search from someone to find my key each morning.

4) Cleaning service arrived...promptly...at 4pm everyday! When they finally got around to cleaning the room, they would leave one, maybe two towels for four people. No hand towels, no face towels...just one, maybe two if we were lucky, bath towels. Every day I had to call housekeeping (they rarely picked up) to order more. Never managed to get the hand or face cloths.

5) Rooms are very dusty! There was dust everywhere.

6) No extra anything for breakfast, like most hotels. Coffee and tea (after 7am). If you arrive by 8am, the coffee is gone and there are no more cups. If you ask for more, they don't offer it.

7) They have one (and only one) restaurant that actually has a nice atmosphere. However, we spent close to $250 for ceasar salads and chicken enchiladas (no beverages). The menu was quite limited.

8) We wanted to watch a movie while it was raining one day. Went to pay the $17.99 for the movie, but when we paid, the movie would not start. Ended up calling the front desk and we were told the "major switch" to run the movie was not working. Great!

9) No fridge, no microwave, no nothing in the room. The pics on the website look so much better then the rooms you end up with. Terrible!

10) Today I am going to call Expedia to see if I can get my money back for the last night. The hotel would do nothing to accommodate me because I did not book directly through them.

There are lots of beautiful hotels in the Coconut Grove area... do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. This hotel ruined my stay in Miami. I left a day early, and I will never return.

Room Tip: Awful!! Stay somewhere else!