“Weekend stay in Florida” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle
Ranked #79 of 121 Hotels in Miami
Media, Pennsylvania, United States
“Weekend stay in Florida”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Loved this beautiful hotel and spa on Grove Isle. Our room was nicely decorated and was very large. From the room we had a gorgeous view of the bay. Quiet and romantic.
We ate at the restaurant for dinner and had lunch at the pool. The food was very good and service was also good. They do add a 20 percent gratuity so make sure you are aware of this and it is pricey.
The pool was very nice and the adults only area was marked and allowed us to be apart from some families with small children.
I have to say the only negative thing about the hotel is the parking fee of 24 dollars a day and then the tipping to get in and out of the lot really adds up. Yet it is worth it because of the unusual location.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Gigi P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I was at the Grove Isle Hotel & Spa for 3 nights. We booked the Florida residents special which to this day, their website says includes a complimentary bottle of wine, even though “they don’t do that anymore.”

Elevators are very slow and hot as a sauna in the Summer.
I e-mailed them prior to posting my review on TripAdvisor to give them a chance to excuse themselves yet again. I completed the survey we received via e-mail from them. Never heard back. Speed is not their strength. For the most part our stay was enjoyable and relaxing. Had it not been for repeated terrible service in the pool bar, our stay may have been exceptional. Repeated bad service meaning 3 or 4 times. Perhaps, there is no motivation to provide good service if they know that 20% gratuity is automatically added to the bills.

In our survey we did mention the great service we received in the restaurant, Gibraltar, on Sunday night (Aug 11). Kevin provided such a superior experience that it was the opposite end of the spectrum from the pool bar team. We ordered drinks upon arrival, and on the first try, two drinks were wrong. The one correct drink was a glass of wine. On the second attempt, another drink was correct but one was still not. I opted to have a glass of water and forget about the arrival cocktail. How nice would it have been to enjoy a cool drink just after arrival? Little did I know how much I was going t need it. In fact, we had a coupon for a free drink we didn't use because of this experience.

We saw a pool bar team member chop garnishes and retrieve a towel from the used pool towel bin to wipe his hands "clean". On a Sunday we went to the pool at 5:00 PM and were told we could not have a towel to lounge by the pool and swim because they were out. They were not really out of towels. It is just that all the used towels were left on lounge chairs after people left so if you wanted to use the pool, you would have to know to bring a towel from your room and clean an area yourself to use.

I did become fed up with the consistent bad service at the pool bar. I did report the towel incident to Rodolfo (acting manager) who was very professional. He indicated that there was no excuse for that experience and sent a bottle of champagne to the room. Not only did he send the bottle up with a cheese plate but he came up himself to once more apologize. Bravo!

We were travelling with two small dogs. Upon arrival, we immediately were looking for a patch of grass to allow the dogs to relieve themselves. Fortunately, we had bags with us to pick up after them because none were within sight, nor was there a trash receptacle to dispose of the bag. One of the valet men was kind enough to take it from us. It may be worth considering a receptacle and bags so we don't leave another valet guy "holding the bag". I cannot imagine what happens when guests arrive unprepared with big dogs.
Ice is in high demand in the hot summer. Don’t expect to see much of it here. Every day I requested ice and sometimes I had to place multiple calls before the icemancometh.
I sent an e-mail and filled out their online survey and look forward to a return e-mail from Judith Garcia (GM) or somebody on her team. I doubt I will hear back.

Incidentally, the welcome letter signed by Judith Garcia, found in the room, has a grammatical error in the first paragraph but I realize that can happen to anyone.

Room Tip: If you book the Florida special, take a snap shot of what you are promised because once you arrive...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Angel R
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Reminded me of the nicer properties when I was a child in the early eighties. Not much for kids and some "adults only" signs wherever you roam. With that in mind it's also a very serene place. The landscaping is lush, like the rest of Coconut Grove.
The service is slow but sure; as they are usually short staffed and sometimes you have to call twice. Beware of 18% tips for eats, delivery charges for room service, and $24 daily parking.
It's on an island and is a visually stunning place. If you like a quiet, upscale, lushy place you will do fine here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RickF9
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Beautiful resort location and hotel. Nice staff. American Breakfast for two had tips automatically included and ran over 50 dollars no alcohol.

Be aware that the resort charges an additional 25 dollars a day just for booking with Orbitz. This is on top of all other charges and automatic tipping.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joseph S
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

The location is glamorous and beautiful. The lobby, restaurant and spa beautiful.

Customer Service was brutal. No one seemed to know what they were doing, and always blaming someone else for the bad service. The restaurants food was amazing, but be prepared to wait along time for it.

The hotel itself is run down and dirty. The pool and hot tub were dirty. The cabanas were filled with bug cacoons and nobody cleaned them, food and towels everywhere. The hot tub doesn't look like its worked for a long time.

This place was expensive and did not live up to expectations. It sad because the hotel has such great potential.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank skylaerke
GMGroveisle, General Manager at Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We appreciate our guests taking the time to share their experiences both with us and other travelers on TripAdvisors. com. We are committed to consistently providing genuine service. I am deeply concerned about your experience with us. Please feel free to reach out to me directly to further discuss.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Had to visit Miami to attend a funeral; it was my first time there and I thought staying on an 'island' would be fun. My iPad directed me to the location perfectly although there were some surprises not explained on the website:

1. There are condo bldgs on the island as well as the hotel and there is a security gate. One has to go through this with every entrance/exit. Once you realize you can just hold up the door key and they let you in, it's not too bad but still, it was unexpected.

2. Valet parking (at $24/day) is the ONLY option. I had no idea. I had to rent a car to get to/from the airport, church, reception location, and other family meeting places and since parking fees were not mentioned on the website anywhere, I just assumed there was free parking available. That fee (plus tips every time you want your car) really increases the daily pricing.

3. Had to order ice from the front desk - which means more tipping - since there aren't any ice/vending rooms on any floors. Or ice buckets in the room, either. And others have already written about no mini-fridge to even keep snacks or cold water - a real minus considering much of this are standard amenities everywhere in the U.S. now.

4. Not enough multi-plug electrical outlets. The table where one would setup a laptop had one 2-outlet plug and the lamp for the table took up one of those outlets. So the laptop took up the other and my cell phone had to be plugged in between the beds (which only had one 2-outlet plug as well and the clock radio took up one of those) and the iPad had to be plugged in yet another location in the room. Hate to split everything up like that b/c it increases the chances of leaving a device and/or charger behind.

In fact, I ironed one blouse that I then hung up in the closet and that, I did forget about and leave behind. I called the 800# of the hotel the first time and the phone rang so many times the 800 service came on with the standard msg about the party not being available and to try again later. This is a hotel front desk, people; I don't think not answering the phone should be an option! I called back, and someone did answer. He put me on hold to check in lost & found; he did not find my blouse. Said he was going to check with housekeeping and another lost & found area and call me right back. Never did; I called again and no one has seen the blouse. Quite amazing and not good on a trust scale. Housekeeping would have found it when they put the ironing board back in the closest and hung up a new robe for the next guest. I did notice there is a safe in the closet.

SW Air lost my bag for about 18 hrs so I had nothing the first night. I continued to follow up the next morning (and was given different estimated delivery times on every call) about its location but finally, the bag was delivered to the hotel around 11:30am (the funeral service was at 1pm and I had to shower, dress and get to the church). The front desk said someone would bring it up to me but after waiting 10 min., I went down and got it myself. Even though I had called 3 times that morning about expecting the delivery, the sense of urgency hadn't quite penetrated.

I will say the woman on the desk the night I arrived (7/22/2013), and needed directions to the closest CVS drugstore so I could get a toothbrush and contact solution for the first night with no bag, was very helpful printing maps and giving me a drink coupon for a toddy at the bar. By the time I had recovered from the shock of valet only parking and finished the late evening shopping, I was ready for a margarita and to retire; it was very nice to be comp'd.

But overall, between the extra fees, lack of room amenities, and having something left behind in the room actually disappear means if we ever return for a vacation here, I will be looking for a different venue.

Room Tip: 4th floor seemed fine. A/C worked; never saw any bugs or cockroaches that other reviewers mentioned...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DeAnnFreitag
Thank you for sharing feedback about your recent stay with us on tripadvisor. com. I am sorry to hear of the motives that brought you to our destination, So please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconsistent service you have received during your stay with us.

We are committed to consistently provide a positively unique experience to each guest that visits our hotel. Our property is boutique style and we do our very best to provide that atmosphere. We try very much to stay competitive and fair with our overall pricing. I have addressed the appropriate parties to ensure that all reservation costs are duly posted on our brand site.

If your plans ever bring you to the South Florida area again, I would love the opportunity to make it up to you. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at any time.

Kindest Regards,
Keystone Heights, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was there for a short getaway and I had a great time! The facility is beautiful wiith but tropical gardens and great views. I would walk each morning along the marina and winding path along the waterway. I had dinner with friends in the restaurant and the food, service and atmosphere was five star. I enjoyed the spa and i can't wait to go back. Every employee I encountered was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sylvia T
Thank you for the wonderful remarks. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to your repeat stay with us. Please feel free to reach out to me directly upon your next visit.

Have a great week!