Had to visit Miami to attend a funeral; it was my first time there and I thought staying on an 'island' would be fun. My iPad directed me to the location perfectly although there were some surprises not explained on the website:
1. There are condo bldgs on the island as well as the hotel and there is a security gate. One has to go through this with every entrance/exit. Once you realize you can just hold up the door key and they let you in, it's not too bad but still, it was unexpected.
2. Valet parking (at $24/day) is the ONLY option. I had no idea. I had to rent a car to get to/from the airport, church, reception location, and other family meeting places and since parking fees were not mentioned on the website anywhere, I just assumed there was free parking available. That fee (plus tips every time you want your car) really increases the daily pricing.
3. Had to order ice from the front desk - which means more tipping - since there aren't any ice/vending rooms on any floors. Or ice buckets in the room, either. And others have already written about no mini-fridge to even keep snacks or cold water - a real minus considering much of this are standard amenities everywhere in the U.S. now.
4. Not enough multi-plug electrical outlets. The table where one would setup a laptop had one 2-outlet plug and the lamp for the table took up one of those outlets. So the laptop took up the other and my cell phone had to be plugged in between the beds (which only had one 2-outlet plug as well and the clock radio took up one of those) and the iPad had to be plugged in yet another location in the room. Hate to split everything up like that b/c it increases the chances of leaving a device and/or charger behind.
In fact, I ironed one blouse that I then hung up in the closet and that, I did forget about and leave behind. I called the 800# of the hotel the first time and the phone rang so many times the 800 service came on with the standard msg about the party not being available and to try again later. This is a hotel front desk, people; I don't think not answering the phone should be an option! I called back, and someone did answer. He put me on hold to check in lost & found; he did not find my blouse. Said he was going to check with housekeeping and another lost & found area and call me right back. Never did; I called again and no one has seen the blouse. Quite amazing and not good on a trust scale. Housekeeping would have found it when they put the ironing board back in the closest and hung up a new robe for the next guest. I did notice there is a safe in the closet.
SW Air lost my bag for about 18 hrs so I had nothing the first night. I continued to follow up the next morning (and was given different estimated delivery times on every call) about its location but finally, the bag was delivered to the hotel around 11:30am (the funeral service was at 1pm and I had to shower, dress and get to the church). The front desk said someone would bring it up to me but after waiting 10 min., I went down and got it myself. Even though I had called 3 times that morning about expecting the delivery, the sense of urgency hadn't quite penetrated.
I will say the woman on the desk the night I arrived (7/22/2013), and needed directions to the closest CVS drugstore so I could get a toothbrush and contact solution for the first night with no bag, was very helpful printing maps and giving me a drink coupon for a toddy at the bar. By the time I had recovered from the shock of valet only parking and finished the late evening shopping, I was ready for a margarita and to retire; it was very nice to be comp'd.
But overall, between the extra fees, lack of room amenities, and having something left behind in the room actually disappear means if we ever return for a vacation here, I will be looking for a different venue.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Jetsetter and HotelQuickly so you can book your Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grove Isle Hotel Miami
- The Grove Isle Hotel And Spa
- Grove Isle Hotel