“Wedding weekend...hidden little gem-some bumps but all in all great”

Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle
Ranked #83 of 123 Hotels in Miami
new york
“Wedding weekend...hidden little gem-some bumps but all in all great”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We had our wedding at the Grove Isle Hotel & Spa (initially when I first joined wedding wire I was going to have it at Palms Hotel in Miami but decided not to based upon my meeting with a catering manager named Monica) I chose Grove Isle for its scenic views (every room has a view of water), it is a lovely backdrop for an outdoor ceremony. Christian is the catering manager and his professionalism and personality sealed the deal. The venue is pricey. I had 40 people and 5 children and had to reach their minimum of 8500 food and beverage. This became a bit challenging but with more guests it would be easy to do. Tax and service is separate also. If you choose the brunch the following day, when all is said and done with tax service, the ceremony fee etc...it can get pricey. I do have to say that I think what we spent on our wedding at Grove Isle was well worth it. The food is top notch. You are not having that standard "wedding food" that your guests usually pick at. Everything was tasty, well prepared, and well presented. Kudos to the chef and culinary team at Grove Isle. The brunch the following day was all the same if not even better! One of the reasons we chose Grove Isle is that it is pet friendly. I have a small yorkie- a well trained beautiful dog. He was welcome in most areas of the hotel. I was a bit disappointed that he could not swim in the pool, but I suppose I understand. They did allow a group of children, about 25 or so come to use the pool for about 2-3 hours in during prime pool time. It is a local tennis club and I believe Grove Ilse has an arrangement with them. This was a very bad idea. The children although adorable are loud and disruptive and this is a policy that they made that should be ceased right away. All the guests at the pool were very bothered. It is not worth the money Grove Isle may get from the tennis club to allow them to come. It will hurt future business. My dog also had to be leashed everywhere we went, even though he is trained to stay by me, another bummer for a dog not used to that. The week I was there with our guests the air conditioning units were on the fritz. About half the hotel had no a/c. My room included. This made it very uncomfortable during our stay-especially while I was getting ready on the wedding day. I had make-up/photographer/hair in my room. It was hot and uncomfortable. I was unable to switch rooms due to a completely booked hotel. We had our wedding on a Friday and there was another the next day. Being a 50 room boutique hotel, I am pretty certain myself and the other bride had the entire hotel booked. Side note-you will never share your day with another bride. They only do one per day-which is great! All attention/service on you for "your day"...Many of our guests had no a/c as well. It was embarrassing for me. I book this 5 star hotel and no a/c at end of June! Oy...BUT the hotel manager Catherine did the right thing and had our stay free of charge along with any of my guests that had no a/c as well. This is very important. I learned that as soon as we left it broke down completely and this is a half a million job to fix. The amount of complaints received from guests as well as the major loss of money (from all the accommodating free stays) must have been incredibly strenuous. I was very very pleased to see that a good business decision was made and I was very impressed. As the bride and groom we were even invited back for a free stay for as long as we wish along with dinner on them one night. Now that is service. There were a couple bumps in the road during our stay both with us and our guests but I am not going to mention them because the end result is we walked away satisfied and left feeling like we chose an exceptional place for our wedding. I would not dream of changing our venue. Any bride and groom deciding to book Grove Isle for their wedding will be exceptionally pleased. I am someone that puts a great deal of value on service/presentation/accommodation. I expect people to do their job and do it exceptional. If you have those expectations choose Grove Isle and you will not be disappointed

Room Tip: Choose a room ending in 05--they are the biggest
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mypointofviewNewYork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I'm amazed to see such good reviews for this hotel. I was just there for a wedding this weekend. Even though the wedding was BEAUTIFUL, the Hotel was the pits. I wore flip flops in the shower, need I say more? Hotel was run down, rooms were very low end. Half the rooms didn't have AC. Service was shameful! Food was WAY overpriced for the quality and ambience/service. Seems that camp comes mid day to use the pool facilities for the children, that was a treat for relaxing :(
Mediocre would have been fine, extremely disappointing. Time for renovations and new management!

6 Thank Dushi110

Travelers are raving about these Miami hotels

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We had a wonderful experience at Grove Isle. Friendly staff made our stay extra special. We will definitely return and will most definitely visit the restaurant again since we are local. The new chef has put together a delicious menu! Renee at the poolside cabana was wonderful with great recommendations and had a warm and welcoming way.

Room Tip: Room 202 was spectacular...beautiful open bay view and close to stairs and elevator.
Perdido Key, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The resort is truly special, but I thought the drink prices too high. The workout facilites are great, and the outdoor pool and hot tub nestled among some gorgeous old landscaping. Our room was perfect, with a walkout window wall onto a private patio and seating area, then a few steps through again lovely landscaping to the waterside walk that traverses the property. The staff was more than welcoming and helpful at all times. Even the bartender with his overpriced drinks. The weather was dreadful, but being at this resort you really didn't need beautiful weather to make the stay worthwhile. An indoor pool would have been nice, though.

Room Tip: I personally like the ground floor for the access to the walkway around the resort.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed June 26, 2012

If I had to decribe this hotel in one word it would be beatiful! The staff and service was excellent! Arrived at the hotel about 9:30 am from the cruise ship and my room was ready! They allow us to check in early and start our day by enjoying the city! Strongly recommend this hotel you will not be disappointed!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This hotel is ok but has too many hidden charges the valet was $25 a day , the mini bar was $24 a day and the basket of candy is also $25 a day, there is also a hotel fee of $25 for every night of your stay there. We payed $575 at checkout all from hidden charges thats just way too much for a 5 night stay. I wouldnt go back just because they over charge fir everything.

fernley, nv
Reviewed June 19, 2012

You will not be disappointed. The property is more beautiful then the pictures and the staff treats you like you are part of there family!! We will be going back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Melissa M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
The Mutiny Hotel
Mayfair Hotel & Spa
#47 of 123 in Miami
Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
The Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove, Miami

Been to Palmeiras Beach Club at Grove Isle? Share your experiences!