“Great location”

Ranked #52 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Long Island, New York
“Great location”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed at this Holiday Inn on April 3rd, 2014 for just one night as we were taking a cruise the next day. It is just across the street from the Bayside Marketplace which was a fun place to go for a couple of hours. The hotel itself is clean and comfortable and the rates very affordable. We did not have enough time to fully explore the hotel. Unfortunately, the front desk staff needs to admit when they have made an error and not try to make it look like the customers fault. When I initially made our reservations, weeks in advance, I made the mistake of booking a day earlier than I should have. I immediately called to rectify and thought it was settled. On arrival I was told that my reservation was cancelled because we did not show on the date of reservation. After explaining what happened to the desk person I was told "we'll see what we can do". It certainly would have been better had I brought my confirmation email with me. So, I will take the blame here but I was not happy with the attitude from the front desk. ...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CuppaT
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Cuppa T,

Thank you so much for staying with us before your cruise and for taking the time to give us feedback! I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel clean and comfortable. I am truly sorry for our mistake in handling your reservation and for making you feel like it was your fault. We handled that incorrectly and I appreciate you letting us know. We have discussed this with the Front Desk team to insure we handle in the right way. Please accept my apology. We do hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Donna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Eureka ca
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I took a cruise with two friends and booked our embarkation hotel at HI. Staff was great and let us into our room early so we could sleep off our jet lag. Convenient to South Beach and restaurants. A little pricey for a sofa bed instead of two queens. The convenience was worth it. OK breakfast buffet. (Not free)

Room Tip: Shop around.All the rooms were OK.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear bouncey,

Thank you so much for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us!! I am glad you felt like your trip here could be stress free and enjoyable. I am pleased to know you enjoyed our staff, as well as our convenient location. We are fortunate to be close to the Port of Miami, South Beach, shopping, dining and so much more. Please come back again on your next cruise.

Maryland
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at this holiday inn on a Saturday night October 5th, before our cruise left Sunday morning. We arrived by taxi around 6pm. Our room was immediately ready, check in process was smooth. We dropped our bags off in our room before heading out to tour Miami. Our room was spacious and clean. We had 2 double beds and the bathroom had shower/tub combo. There is a restaurant/bar on site which is very convenient. We met friends at the bar and we each ordered a fresh mojito per the recommendation of the bartender. His name escapes my mind right now, but his drinks were fabulous and he was so knowledgeable. He gave us great recommendations of where to visit that evening in Miami. The hotel is conveniently located right across the street from bayside market which is where we had dinner. There are a ton of restaurants, bars and shopping to choose from. There is a nice outdoor pool on site which we sat by the next morning before leaving. Our room was high enough that we could see the entrance to the port of Miami so if you are cruising out, the hotel is so close by. The cab ride to the port cost us $10. Overall whenever I leave out of the port of Miami it will choose to stay at this holiday inn.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear iluvdisney,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for your great comments about your stay! I am pleased you enjoyed our staff, the hotel, the great view, and our ideal location in Downtown Miami. I am happy you enjoyed our fresh mojitos in our lounge. I appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed here during December 2013, other than the great location for taking a cruise and being located just opposite the Bayfront plaza, not much more going for it.
If all you are looking for is convenience in terms of location, then choose this hotel. Overall not very competitively priced for the standard of the rooms and facilities
The management are aware of the popularity of the hotel for its location and actually do not pay much attention to issues with the standard of the accommodation or the facilities
Would recommend that you rather choose a hotel - and there are many on Ocean Drive that a better ambience and boutique feel.........

Room Tip: Do your research well and compare the hotels along Ocean Drive before settling on this one!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RoySingh,

Thank you so much for providing feedback regarding your stay with us! I am pleased you liked our location. I am truly sorry we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We are an older property in Downtown Miami, and we have been recently renovated, and we are constantly working on projects to upgrade our hotel. As the General Manager, I can assure you we all work hard to provide a clean and well maintained property, and strive to insure exceptional service. We do have high standards, and I apologize you did not see that. It is true, we are not a boutique hotel on South Beach, but we do work constantly to insure our standards, product and service are high. I am sorry we dropped the ball during your stay.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I really liked this hotel. The check in & out process was quick & easy. There's a nice standard pool in the back and a small gym. The decor in the lobby was fun and colorful- just like something I imagined I would see in Miami. They have a memorizing bubble art piece as a room divider. There is a bar and restaurant in the lobby.

The main beach road is directly in front of the hotel but I never heard any road noise. Parking is "valet only" directly behind the hotel, you enter via 4th St.

My room was really large and quite comfortable. Two double beds and a large living area with couch, coffee table and chairs. There was a small microwave and mini fridge under the TV. There was also a desk to work at. My room had a great view of the park and cruise port.

There is just a tiny amount of counter space in the bathroom- not a big deal but just odd. WIFI was iffy- perhaps ok for Facebook? But not adequate to get any work done. I had to switch to my cell carrier to get anything completed.

I had seen reviews that complained about the slow elevators and there were signs saying new high speed ones were going to be installed but I never had an issue. I did try to take the stairs for some exercise but the door at the bottom floor said "emergency use" only so I walked up a flight and then took the elevator down. I wasn't there long enough to ask a staff member if there was a way to use the stairs to get to the lobby..

The best part of this hotel was the location. There's a McDonald's behind the hotel. A CVS drug store about a block away and a 7-11 2 blocks away. There's also a huge Ross in an odd little shopping area about 3 blocks away.

Be warned there are lots of beggars on the streets- during the day/early evening there are also loads of tourists milling around so it's not too creepy. In fact my male business associate told me he engaged several of them in conversation and found out lots of interesting info abut the area. But after about 10pm it's just you and them (for the most part) and as a female traveling alone it's just uncomfortable to constantly be asked for $$.

The Bayside Market place (an open air but covered mall) is right across the street with loads of shops and restaurants. It's open late every day with bands and all kinds of excitement. It's also incredibly crowded even on a Sunday night at 10pm!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bay. The rooms are much larger than the back rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Jen78703
Dear Jen78703,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for your great and detailed comments regarding your stay with us! I appreciate the time that went into that, so we can work on the areas that were a challenge, including Wifi and elevators. We will be complete with our elevator project, having all new elevators in the next couple of months. I do appreciate your patience with that and the Wifi, which we will address. I am happy you found the location great and had an enjoyable stay. We hope you will come back for another visit soon.

Jenison, Michigan
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed here for one night before our cruise because it was close to the port. Montana did a great job taking care of us and gave us the perfect room (911). This suite has a wonderful view of the cruise ships and the Bayside Marketplace. Having the Bayside Marketplace close by is a real plus, with plenty of shopping and restaurants. Also, this hotel is very close to Christ Fellowship Church, which is within walking distance of the hotel. We attending Easter Service there and really enjoyed it. We will definitely stay here again, pre-cruise.

Room Tip: Suite 911 is an outstanding room with a great view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ken P
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Ken P,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know you had a great stay with us over Easter! I am happy to hear Montana took good care of you. We are fortunate to be located near some wonderful places in Downtown Miami. Great that you were able to attend Easter Service in the neighborhood. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

This hotel has an awesome location!
Right across from Bayside shopping/restaurants and close to the port! Short taxi ride to south beach
My husband and I decided to stay 3nights before our cruise. The front desk and bellhops were excellent to deal with. Very friendly and helpful as it was our first visit to Miami.

The room we had was a bit older but it was very clean and functional. Had a good view as well. We had a 3night AAA rate which made it very reasonable price.

The restaurant located there was really good food and breakfast yummy. Our servers were chatty and friendly as well

All over great stay! Would definitely choose this hotel again

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear kormoto,

We are pleased to hear you had a great stay with us and were able to enjoy a few days in Miami! Thank you for choosing out hotel and for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We are fortunate to have an incredible location near so much- Bayside, Port of Miami, shopping, South Beach and much more. We hope you will be back to visit us again on your next trip to Miami.