“Great location, a little run down”

Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown
Ranked #52 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great location, a little run down”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights before going on a cruise. My husband is very picky, and we chose this hotel because of its location, as it was across the street from the cruise terminal. When I walked in the front lobby, I felt like I was at a 5 star hotel; the decoration is amazing, really colorful, and catchy. The check in agent was extremely helpful, was always smiling and eager to help. She had great knowledge of the area and gave us various tips of what to do in Miami, as well as on the cruise. Since this was our first time in Miami and on a cruise ship, we were completely clueless, bus she really helped us out (her name is Renata, so ask for her when you stay in this hotel). We felt like royalty.
Unfortunately, the rooms weren't up to par with what we expected and they need a little refurbishing, but it wasn't a "make it or break it" for us. Great service though, would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Parking is expensive and inconvenient (valet). Restaurant is pretty good and offers good variety.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Jessica J
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Jessica J,

Thank you for staying with us on your trip to Miami for your cruise! I am happy you had a great experience when you arrived into our lobby and interacted with Renata. I am glad you enjoyed the location and most of your hotel experience. I do appreciate your comments on the rooms. I am not sure which room you were in, but I do hope you will return and enjoy one of our bayfront rooms with incredible views.

Donna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I am an IHG Platinum traveller and always try to stay at Holiday Inn or IHG member hotels. This hotel provided me good access to downtown area, a few restaurants (Bubba Gump, Hooters, Hard Rock Cafe), as well as the American Airlines Arena (to attend Miami Heat games).

However, as a business traveller, this hotel failed miserably. The internet access is the worst that I have ever experienced in the US, with the link going up and down throughout my stay. At one point the SSID was changed in the middle of a webex session I was hosting to attendees from all over the world. Very embarrassing. After raising the question about the unstable internet access, the front desk had no idea what I talked about, but promised to send an 'engineer'. Im still waiting...

I was not able to do even basic things such as scan a document.

There was no desk in my room. I had to position my laptop onto a tiny corner coffee table where I had to conduct my work from.

My phone's buttons weren't pre-programmed, so i had to 'find' the front desk by dialling a variety of numbers i guessed. Eventually 0 took me to the front desk every time.

The bath didn't work properly, so only showers were possible. I asked for 3 x hard pillows. I was promised 'someone' will deliver... I'm still waiting...

Every morning my passage area was littered with pages upon pages of takeaway restaurants wanting your business for in room deliveries.

Currently the elevators in the hotel is under repair/upgrade, which meant that the average time you had to wait for an elevator could vary from 5 mins to 30 mins. Again frustrating if you're on the 8th floor and seldom get to see an elevator.

I think next time I will find a hotel that is better suited to a business traveller.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view to the front of the hotel. it gets better sunlight and better view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank ASteyn
Dear ASteyn,

Thank you for taking the time to give us valuable feedback regarding your stay with us! I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations on your business trip. Your comments will help us get better, as we do value business travelers and want to make sure we have all the services and amenities you need. I am glad to hear you still enjoyed our great location. We do hope you will try us again on your next visit here to show you our improvements. We will complete our new elevator installation and internet upgrade in the next couple of months.

Michigan
Reviewed April 7, 2014

You can't beat the location of this hotel. It is right across the street from Bayside Marketplace in downtown Miami.

The hotel is nice, clean. Staff very accommodating. We arrived early after a cruise, our room wasn’t ready – but they kept our luggage so we could tour the area.

Our first room was right by the elevator – I asked to be moved, and they quickly found us a new location without issue.

They gave us a coupon for free breakfast – however when we arrived the next morning, they told us free was a small area of the buffet. If we wanted anything else it was an additional charge. I think it was only $4.00 extra per person plus the cost of your drink. It wasn’t a great breakfast, I will skip it next time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear travel920,

Thank you so much for staying with us on your trip to Miami! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the location, our staff, and the clean hotel. I appreciate your feedback regarding breakfast, and have shared that with the team. Your comments are important as we always work to improve the experience of our guests. Please come back and visit us again on your next visit to South Florida.

Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed April 6, 2014

What a great location. Right across the street from Bayside which is a great experience on it's own. Rooms were great, lots of room and very clean. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who may be staying prior/post cruise or just looking for a nice hotel in downtown Miami.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Llpotz,

Thank you for letting us know you loved our hotel during your recent stay! It is great to hear you enjoyed the staff, our great location near so much in Downtown Miami, and our clean hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback, and hope you will come stay with us again sometime soon.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

We had stayed at this hotel in early 2014. Love the location for the American Airlines Center and decided to stay there again. Pretty much the same except the parking had changed. It is now only valet and costs $25/night. Not wanting to leave our car on a municipal lot, we chose the hotel parking. Felt $25/ night was a bit high. It's also in a great location for shopping and lots of restaurants. Great night sleep as very quiet!

Room Tip: We stayed on the west side and although not a beautiful view, it was quiet for sleeping!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Karen R,

Thank you so much for returning to stay with us again! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, especially the location and the quiet sleep you got. We changed the parking to insure all guests could park and have staff on 24 hours to make sure all is secure for our guest cars. I do appreciate your feedback. I hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed at this holiday inn during Ultra Music Festival. This was one of the best experiences i have ever had hands down. My Ultra experience was made even more amazing because of the staff at this hotel. The STAFF is what made my stay at this hotel the best ever. There are three people in particular that I remember that were the most friendly and helpful. They were absolutely amazing. These guys are MARCO, MONTANA, and ALEJANDRO. Just awesome. So helpful and friendly they just killed it. They deserve serious praise. If you go to this hotel I hope you get to encounter them because they rule. Great service. Awesome vibes. 5 stars because of these guys!!

Room Tip: Go during Ultra. Book in advance. Also I paid like $35 for breakfast (for two people) which is ridic...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear RyanHumphries,

Thank you so much for letting us know this was the best hotel experience ever! I am so happy to hear you loved the staff, especially Montana, Marco and Alejandro. They were very pleased to insure your stay was excellent. Please come back and stay with us again on your next trip to Miami.

Conception Bay South, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed here March 22, 2014 before our cruise. The location of this hotel is perfect. Right in downtown Miami. Close the shopping, restaurants, bars, the waterfront and the cruise port. Our room from the seventh floor overlooked all of this. Rooms are spacious, but the bathroom is a bit small, no big deal. Our room had two double beds and a pullout couch. Very clean. The lobby is very nice and so to is the staff at the front desk, very helpful. Never spent any time at the pool, but it looked nice. We weren't there long before we dropped our bags and headed to the Bayside Market. This place was loaded with bars, restaurant, shopping and other activities. The next morning we had breakfast at the hotel restaurant. You could get the buffet or order from the menu. Good food and restaurant. Our cruise didn't depart until 4:00 pm and the front desk granted us a check out time an hour later than usual. No problem with getting a taxi to the cruise ship. Will surely stay here again, only this time it will be for more than one night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the harbor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank wmeade
Dear wmeade,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for wanting to stay with us again for a longer trip! I am so happy you loved the location close to so much in Downtown Miami- Bayside restaurants and shopping, Port of Miami, and so much more. What a great view you were able to enjoy, as well as our staff and the restaurant. We look forward to seeing you back in the near future.