“"Across BAYSIDE"”

Ranked #52 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“"Across BAYSIDE"”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is my second stay at this hotel! The staff was very helpful. The rooms are nice but less decorated. And also clean. Back in Miami I will stay at the Holiday Inn, because of the location in Miami downtown and across Bayside (HARBOUR) I found the American Breakfast a little bit poor.

Room Tip: "Rooms on the BACK side are quieter"
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here recently purely based on that it was the cheapest non-flea bag hotel with free internet in downtown Miami. I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms, decor and whatnot are pretty standard, nothing to get excited about but fine. I was given a room on the tenth floor that had a great view of the port and further on the Miami Beach area. It was walking distance (10 minutes) to the Metrorail stop at Government Center stop, that will get you out to the airport for $2/person in half an hour. Across hte street there is some touristy shopping, and out front you can grab a bus to South Beach for $2 (takes half an hour). All in all I thought it was great value for the money. Most of the people staying there are going to a cruise or coming back. Some commenters mention noise from construction; I suffered no such inconvenience.

Room Tip: Joining the rewards program and registering with your rewards number will increase the odds that you...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed January 28, 2013

the hotel is in a great position but is in desperate need of refurbishment and was very run down (everywhere and in all respects). Reception staff were not friendly but the concierge was always very helpful. The bed was comfortable, room clean but the sliding door to the "wardrobe" (if you could call it that) was totally off the hinges and swayed every time it was moved. Air conditioning was extremely loud as was the ice machine in the hallway. Very expensive rates for such a disappointing hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear DeniseB1170,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations.

I greatly appreciate you calling out the cleanliness of our rooms and comfortable bed. While I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the not so good comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we already do. We will address these points and I hope that when you return you will see the improvements that have been made.

Thank you again for your review. I hope we have the opportunity in the future to provide you with a better experience.

Regards,
Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The hotel is in a great location. Close to Bayside where they have restaurants and shops. Service was average. The front desk attendants were not very friendly, but they answered my questions. The worst thing about this hotel was the smell of the room. It was very musty and the windows were locked shut for who knows how long. Overall, it's a decent hotel but it needs some work done to get rid of that smell.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Natsue23,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am pleased you liked the location. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had over the front desk staff, most especially the smell of the room. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G
Case Manager
New Kensington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is the second time that we've stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown. We chose it for the price and location near the port for the cruise that we were taking. We went the day before to avoid problems with air travel from the north and possibly missing our cruise.

The hotel itself is older, but we were looking for a clean, safe hotel not far from the port. While it was clean, safe and not far from the port, we got even more than that.

Our room faced Biscayne Boulevard with very large windows. On the morning of our cruise, we actually could see our ship pulling in from our window. It was an awesome experience.

The buffet breakfast at the hotel was great and you could order from the regular menu also.

The hotel is across the street from Bayside Marketplace. I LOVE THIS PLACE. It's really a mall on the water. There's entertainment and dancing. Our favorite band there was Brazilian Explosion. It was a wonderful,inexpensive way to spend time in Miami. It was also a very good way to kick off a week of fun!

The hotel is also across the street from American Airlines Arena and there was a Miami Heat Basketball game when we were there, but we didn't go.

We walked to church from the hotel Sunday morning. My daughter was a little uncomfortable walking where we walked (backstreets of the city) because she didn't feel as safe as she would have liked. However, we didn't experience anything that isn't felt in any big city.

There were many languages heard. Spanish, of course, the most prevalent.

We would recommend this hotel to Miami Cruise travelers.

Room Tip: I think that they generally give the rooms facing Biscayne Boulevard and the port to cruisers, but I...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Mary Anne D
Melbourne
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The service didn't match the hype this hotel has given itself. The reception staff were slightly indifferent, other service members were pleasant. The room was difficult to enter as the aged door lock was tempramental. There were no tea bags with the coffee making facilities and it was a effort for Reception to find two. The big wrap the Hotel gave itself for a complimentary 'Thank you to Priority Members' was a glass of the worst examples of beer and wine- we hadn't expected that. We both left the glasses at the bar after one sip.
The Location to the cruise Port was great and I guess that was what we were paying for.
The Waterfront Complex over the road sufficed our needs and we dined , breakfasted and shopped there.
If we had to leave on a cruise from Miami again we would stay there but have the advantage of our experience to prepare us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel for quietness
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear marshfish,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. We are delighted you liked the convenient location of our hotel. My deepest apologies for the inconvenience your room accommodation and the poor service caused you. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Karen C
Case Manager
Ashwaubenon, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Nice hotel, great location and friendly staff. I have stayed here 7/2012 and 1/2013, and I will stay again. I believe they are working hard on updating the property. So close to the port so great place to stay before a cruise, taxi is like 8ish to the cruise ships.

I don't understand the reviews saying that the staff is unfriendly or the comments about bad service from the staff, I feel my service has been excellent and everyone has been super friendly. If you have not been to Miami before, english is a 2nd langauge for a lot of people that live there, for me that's what I love about Miami.

A big plus for me is Bayside mall across the street, a lot of choices for eateries.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family