“It was good for the 3 days that i needed!”

Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown
Ranked #52 of 125 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed January 13, 2013

After i came back from central america i needed 3 days of rest in miami,i pick this hotel because of the rates,the only room they had was for handicape people, it had two beds it was also very big for just a room it locaded next to the bayside mall if you need a good meal it is a very nice place to be,the beds in my room are very nice and clean i had no problem sleeping,the shower was not EZ you have to put you hand on the shower to make sure that the water hit you,the lobby and resturant are very nice looking no problems with the front deck, over all for 3 days not bad at all.

Room Tip: Parking your CAR is a problem it cost $12 for the days but it is (not 24 hour for you) because one...
1  Thank vincent1182

Reviewed January 11, 2013

The hotel is exactly what you'd expect for a Holiday Inn - adequate facilities, clean presentation, comfortable bed and convenient location. We were here over New Year's Eve, and the hotel was in an ideal location to the fantastic concerts that were taking place in the Bayfront Park - right across the road! The concierge was very helpful in arranging a bus and boat tour of Miami. We had a perfectly comfortable room with a magnificent view over the Port of Miami. It's nothing flashy, but perfectly adequate. Having said that, it's probably a bit overpriced.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the building on higher floors have great views over the Port of Miami. Beware...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Bellagio2010,

Orlando A.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with my parents for two nights before our cruise. We picked it due to the location (very close to the port) and due to positive reviews. What a mistake!

The outside looks great, as does the lobby and restaurant/bar which look to have been recently renovated. But anything above that? Awful.

The rooms seem old and dirty, and the bathrooms need a lot of work. The hallways and carpet all need to be re-done. It really seems very seedy and not at all worth the high price. I believe they are undergoing more renovations, but until that's all finished I would avoid this hotel.

The recent is decent but the hotel staff are horrible! Rude and not friendly. The local area is nice - some shops and such within walking distance, but really this hotel is awful.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chantal S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Chantal S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us and if your stay was negatively affected by the cleanliness of our rooms and poor customer service from our staff. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. Rest assured, we will address this and will work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I did all the research I could before chosing a hotel near the port in Miami, but somehow missed any notes on this place being under renovation. Location is outstanding, right across from Bayside and only a mile from Port of Miami (a nice walk across the bridge if you wish). Also it is right across the street from where the Miami Heat play. Great location. Lots of things to do, restaurants, shopping, tours, all within walking distance.

Downside: The hotel is under renovation as of Dec 2012 (it desperately needs it). The lobby is gorgeous, restaurant nice and personnel/service was outstanding. But the elevators were not all working so it was SLOW to get up or down. Also, the stairs to the lobby area were closed - you could only get down to the 2nd floor via stairs. There was no pool access without walking outside around the building. The room we were in (10th floor) was in disrepair. Everything within the room was dated, and although likely clean, it just looked old and dirty.

For the price, the room/hotel was not worth it (I think I paid about $350 over 2 nights). For the location though, a different story. We greatly appreciated the location.

If you book here, be sure to know what you are getting into. Outstanding location, excellent service, beautiful lobby and marginal rooms (for the price... today). If they ever finish their renovation and get the elevators running faster/smoother, it will be a great place to stay.

We would LIKELY stay here again on the way in/out from a cruise due to location. Like I said though, be prepared for a disappointment on your actual room... at least until their renovations are finished.

Room Tip: Use the "pay in advance" option when booking to get best value. Just be sure of your trave...
1  Thank Clarkecoln
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Clarkecoln,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments such as our location, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We apologize about the renovation going on and I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Thank you again for your review.

Orlando A.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at the hotel one night pre cruise in December 2012.

First the good. The hotel is well situated, opposite the American Airlines Arena and Bayside, an outdoor shopping plaza.

The bad. We were in a room at the front of the hotel on the 3rd floor. Right outside our room was the roof of an overhang over the front entrance of the hotel. Workers started hammering away at 8am, right outside our window. We could not open the drapes to the room, as the workers would have had a birds eye view into our room. The room should never have been given out, and not without a warning.When we complained , the front desk staff was quite indifferent . I asked for a discount and was refused.

The dangerous. There was a power failure. There was no emergency lighting on the floor and no emergency exit signs lit up. Eventually some staff came upstairs with a flashlight to direct us to the staircases. I can only wonder what would have happened had there been a fire.

I would never stay here again.

2  Thank JB60TRAVELS
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear JB60TRAVELS,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I rely heavily on Trip Advisor when making my travel arrangements, and usually the reviews are spot on. However, not in this case. I am really surprised the hotel has such good reviews. My family of 6 stayed here on December 29, the night before our cruise. I had booked this hotel months in advance and inadvertently chose the full pre-payment option. I immediately called Holiday Inn customer service to see if my payment could be reversed, given our date of stay was so far out and was told no - strike one.

When we arrived, the lobby looked nice, the staff was friendly and check in was quick given that it was after midnight. As soon as we stepped foot off the elevators, I was surprised at the old, dilapidated hallways. This place looks as if it hasn't been renovated since the 60's! The pictures on the website are completely misleading! The carpets were old and dirty, the walls were dingy - it reminded me of a really old motel 6, and looked like the kind of place you would expect to find in a really seedy, drug infested part of town - strike 2.

When we got to our room, we only had two double beds, although I had reserved a double, with a soda bed to accommodate my family of six. I immediately went to the front desk and explained my situation. I was told the hotel was full and there were no other rooms - I booked my room over three months in advance! The front desk attendant offered to provide me with two roll away beds and told me to speak with the manager in the morning. The room was so cramped with the roll away beds that everyone in my family kept hitting toes on the roll away beds. The next morning I spoke with the manager who offered me a measly 15% discount, which really amounted to no discount at all because I had paid the cost of a double with a sofa, but only received a double.

If you have any standards at all, do not stay here. I am not picky and usually take negative reviews with a grain of salt, but this place is awful!

3  Thank Lynette T

Dear Lynette T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. For that reason, your comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I am relieved though that the hotel compensated the inconvenience of your stay and they made a way to accommodate your party by giving free rollaway beds. Nevertheless, I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly be forwarded to the appropriate departments and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I didn't have high expectations and the hotel didn't disappoint or exceed them. Did not get a good night's sleep - room was apparently located near supply closet or something, lots of noise. I don't generally complain about noise but there did not seem to be any soundproofing at all. The room was clean, but I would put it on the standard of a economy hotel for sure, but not as nice as a newer Hampton Inn, for comparison. The location can't be beat if you are going on a cruise, you are able to walk across the street to Bayside and shop, eat, etc. Won't stay here again, though, will try some of the other hotels in the vicinity. You pretty much get what you pay for---the staff is nice, though. Just want a bit nicer experience to kick off the cruise vacation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kathy W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear KathyMemphis,