“Too expensive”

Casablanca Seafood Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Casablanca Seafood Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #184 of 4,314 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I went to the happy hour on March 25th, we ordered wine and oysters and then we decided to order a paella only with seafood. It arrived quite fast and it was ok, a bit overcooked and it also had chorizo and chicken. One of my friends found a rubber band in it and we let the server know. They did absolutely nothing to recover for the inconvenience until I spoke to the manager and told him about it to which he seemed non plussed and gave me a 10% discount. Our server Alex and his busser were extremely helpful, knowledgeable and nice and they apologised for the inconvience, something their manager never did.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I'm a native Miamian and had never visited this place that people rave about, so I decided to give it a try for a weekday lunch. It is a nicely decorated restaurant with a view of the Miami river warehouse, not a spectacular view but a view none the less. Ordered oysters and coconut shrimp as appetizers. Not an oyster lover but my husband said they are oysters like any other...coconut shrimp well is coconut shrimp. Normal sized, not huge or too small. Lobster bisque definitely not something I would order here. It was on the watery side and I could taste the flour as a thickening agent more than any other ingredient. It did have about 5 small pieces of lobster meat in there. My daughter ordered the grilled Mahi Mahi. Again, I'm still baffled by all the raves this place gets. The mahi mahi was a 4-5 oz grilled fillet completely tasteless served with a lemon butter sauce that tasted like bottled alfredo sauce watered down with milk. My husband ordered the snapper at a whooping $35!!! It was approximately 5-6 oz fillet covered with a nicely seasoned sauce with a few scallops thrown in. Two beers and a glass of wine - can't go wrong there, thank goodness! For dessert we had the brownie a la mode, but again they fell short, brownie was not even warm. I am not one to turn things back at restaurants given the horror stories I've heard so ate it as was. In conclusion, a huge disappointment and a huge bill. I found this place to be over rated and extremely over priced especially when I didn't even order a meal and the bill came to $140 for lunch, tip not included. Never again and no, I wouldn't recommend this place to visitors, clients or anyone, unless they lower their prices and better their cooking. For a lot less you can get good seafood in many other places around town.

2  Thank made1024
Reviewed March 15, 2013

How a so-called seafood restaurant can morally justify serving such awful seafood is beyond comprehension. I ordered "Casablanca's Famous Grilled Parrillada" priced at $29 and boasting, though only in print as I soon found out, of tiger prawn, scallops, calamari, mussels, clams and a grilled fish. All the items, without a single exception, were chewy, definitely frozen, not fresh, and to add insult to the diner's injury, the size of little buttons. Come to think of it, I had never even seen clams, scallops and mussels that tiny until Casablanca presented ne with its "famous" parrillada. My wife's large size stone crabs, priced at a hefty $49 for mere 4 pieces and hence no cheaper than at Joe's or Truluck's, were not quite the same taste as Joe's and the bland mustard sauce made the experience even less gratifying. In place of warm bakery quality bread, a minimum requirement went entree prices start north of $25, we were served a much cheaper plate of nacho chips with a fish, no "fish flavored," dip that was quite tasteless.

I cannot fault the waitress for any lapses, though the largely young staff did not seem trained to act as professionally as they should at a waterfront fine dining restaurant. On our way out we saw a staff member occupying a prime table and chowing down his free employee meal with gusto. I was reminded of the reality show Restaurant Stakeout. In fact this restaurant needs to be thoroughly revamped by these reality show gurus. Chef Gordon Ramsey needs to come down, chew everybody out and rub the owner's nose in all the tiny little clams and mussels kept frozen in the freezer.

The only redeeming part of the $167-for-two dining misadventure was the ambience. Though Miami River is more about tugboats and commercial buildings on the shores, the atmosphere was still as idyllic as in the better parts of the intracoastal in Broward. So if you do want to enjoy a couple of drinks on their patio, go for it.

Please do not waste your money eating at Casablanca. Mine was not a one-off experience. Read the poor and terrible reviews here. I had read them as well but I foolishly decided to brave it. We had to be in that area, and the idea of enjoying stone crabs on the water had blinded us to the many disparaging reviews.

2  Thank FloridianDesi
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Dinner was excellent, Everything we had - escargot, stone crab, shrimp was really good. Service was good.
We went for breakfast and sat for 20 minutes with no service so left.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were staying next door at the Marriott (which was dreadful). We stumbled across this restaurant and had a delicious final meal in Miami. the Peruvian Ceviche and Tuna Tartar were truly outstanding. A real pleasure.