“Yes for Miami”

Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 4,404 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N.E. 1st Avenue & N.E. 2nd Avenue
Transit: Miami Dade Transit Bus Lines # 2, # 3,# 9, # 10, # 36, # 93, # 202, # 236. For detailed route information go to: http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/tm_for_web.pdf
Description: Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink is a showcase for the cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Schwartz, with prices designed to encourage frequent dining. This unpretentious bistro seats 90 indoors and out, with another 14 seats at a handsome bar. Doubling as a casual neighborhood dining spot and a culinary destination, the bright, airy space in Miami’s evolving Design District showcases Schwartz’s trademark new American cuisine at prices designed to encourage frequent dining. Open daily for lunch and dinner, the menu is chock full of choices encouraging everything from a light bite to a multi-course feast. A quick glance at the menu and Michael's intentions for this restaurant are revealed. Notable is the frequency of the word homemade in the descriptions of dishes -- be it pasta, French fries or rabbit terrine. At the same time, Michael's takes advantage of the Chef’s decades-long relationships with winemakers to offer diners the opportunity to try a variety of wines at great value.
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Interesting location in a new and upcoming area of Miami. The food quality was very good. There were three of us and we were pretty hungry. But we still couldn't finish all our dishes. I started with Pork Belly. It was good, but the cut had more fat than meat. The accompanying Kimchi was excellent. My guest started with the beet & arugula salad. More beet would have been appreciated. We also ordered the Crispy Hominy and Pigs Ears. Both were very good.

For main courses, I had slow roasted pork shoulder. Very well cooked and truly a larger portion. My wife had the house made Gemelli Rustica and they made it without the meat. Thanks. My guest enjoyed the beef short rib which was cooked to perfection.

The service was very good and the wine list was extensive but expensive. We will try them again, but in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,210)

Reviewed August 11, 2014

I was a little nervous. I thought it might be a little pretentious. Fortunately, I was proved wrong. We started with crispy pig ears and homemade potato chips with homemade French onion dip. It was a great start. My main course was pork chops with cheese grits and my wife had a sweet & spicy pork belly. The pork chop was great, but the grits were literally the best grits I've ever had in my life. The pork belly melted in your mouth. It's definitely a restaurant we'll go to again.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Meal was really good. So many good choices, it was hard to decide. Pig ears were great! Loved the fresh ingredients including the fresh peaches. The passion fruit dessert was good as well. Robin took really good care of us!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had a delicious lunch at Michael's Genuine on a recent trip to Miami. The homemade pastrami sandwich and shortrib panini were fantastic with the high quality primary ingredients shining through. The Kale salad was very good with the addition of free-range chicken. We dined in the outdoor courtyard, which was a lovely spot and provided for great people watching.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Michael's had been our favorite restaurant for years, we lived abroad for a couple of years and came back to discover the place is just better every day. The local flare, the different sizes of the dishes and the casual chic ambience, make it a spacial place. Whether you try the chargrilled octopus, the quinoa salad or the dessert pot de creme, you will love it. Brunch is also a great option, ah, and the duck is worth the try