“As good as I read it was!...”

Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 4,369 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N.E. 1st Avenue & N.E. 2nd Avenue
Transit: Miami Dade Transit Bus Lines # 2, # 3,# 9, # 10, # 36, # 93, # 202, # 236. For detailed route information go to: http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/tm_for_web.pdf
Description: Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink is a showcase for the cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Schwartz, with prices designed to encourage frequent dining. This unpretentious bistro seats 90 indoors and out, with another 14 seats at a handsome bar. Doubling as a casual neighborhood dining spot and a culinary destination, the bright, airy space in Miami’s evolving Design District showcases Schwartz’s trademark new American cuisine at prices designed to encourage frequent dining. Open daily for lunch and dinner, the menu is chock full of choices encouraging everything from a light bite to a multi-course feast. A quick glance at the menu and Michael's intentions for this restaurant are revealed. Notable is the frequency of the word homemade in the descriptions of dishes -- be it pasta, French fries or rabbit terrine. At the same time, Michael's takes advantage of the Chef’s decades-long relationships with winemakers to offer diners the opportunity to try a variety of wines at great value.
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I visited MGF following Trip Advisor's reviews, and it was a good decision.
I went for sunday brunch with my wife and daughter, and had a great time.
We ordered several plates, and shared them, and were happy with everything.
Food is straightforward and bold, made from fine ingredients.
The place is really nice, and service is very good.
Oh, and extremely good coffee, which is not very common.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My GF and I both thought the other was making the reservation for this deservedly highly acclaimed restaurant. When we looked at each other and realized our mistake we were ecstatic to know that there were two great seats at the bar...which is where we prefer to eat anyway. And the WOWS would begin there. Not your typical bar where you would see 88 flavors of sugary vodka. This place has all the staples plus a menu of handcrafted cocktails that are as creative as they are tasty. What brings people to Michael's though beyond that is the ever-changing menu and carefully prepared dishes made from the freshest ingredients around.
For starters, i had the shrimp ceviche and she had the baked double yolk farm egg. She then had the crispy rice cake and i had the BLT salad. Im not going to bother with descriptions...JUST GO. I then had the short rib followed by two ridiculous desserts...the milk chocolate candy bar with popcorn ice-cream...and a pot de creme that was bowl-licking-worthy. WE could have had more...because everything was so good and we dont know when we'd be back.
The menu consists of small, medium and large plates...and the price-points are rather reasonable when you consider what you're getting. Quality trumps quantity every single time. The bar staff was attentive and friendly...the vibe of the restaurant is electric and...outside dining looks cool nestled amongst the trees and the higher-end boutiques. Only a 6 minute drive from downtown and located in the heart of the always-evolving Design District....this restaurant is a MUST.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We had a reservation for lunch here on Monday and this place was a mad house. We were late for a reservation and had called and said it would be no problem. When we arrived the hostess who was running around like crazy, but calm as a cucumber said it would be just a few minutes for our table which was no problem since we were about an hour late. We were seated within a few minutes we were promptly greeted with water and told our server would be right with us. For as busy as this place was it run like a well oiled machine. Everyone was working with each other and helping each other out, which is a nice thing to see in a restaurant.

I had saw on social media before we had arrived their drink special, fresh cucumber, mint, blueberries with vodka. I had to have one and boy am I glad it did it was delicious and you could taste the market fresh ingredients. We had the sweet and spicy pork belly appetizer which was the BEST I had ever had, literally perfect. I got the rock shrimp hoagie, its was good not great but the lemon aioli really made it. My dad got the pastrami sandwich and was HUGE. I have never seen such a big sandwich he really loved it. I love the touch of having coarse salt on the table if you wanted it. I love salt and added some to my fries and it made them even better.

It was my Dad birthday and they gave us a free dessert compliments of Chef Niven which was very thoughtful. We got the pot de crème which was fresh hot doughnuts with a custard and it was a great way to end an awesome meal. We will be back and next time it will be for dinner!!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I just recently found out about MG while in Mia for the holidays and what a Gem. Our server was Nicholas he rem us- He is always so nice and super friendly- ask for him he makes sure u r happy. I love the pizza here I am a veggie lover and every time I come they have squash or zuk"- yummy. MG pls keep the pizza & If u listen to any review U have to try the stracciatella its amazing fresh tomatoes, olive oil and the best stracciatella cheese ever. My friend got the Pork belly and loved it - Do ur self a favor and try MG' I will b bk save me some pizza & strac'
:))

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I have to go to MGFD when I go to Miami. If they had a hotel attached, I would simply stay and eat there every day. Seriously, it's that good. I prefer to sit outside in their beautiful little garden. The Manhattan is the best Manhattan I have had- even the cherries are special. This time we enjoyed the roasted double yolk egg- exquisitely done. Shared the pork shoulder- perfectly tender and flavored- a visual treat of pink and green (parsley sauce and pickled red onions). Sides of wood roasted green beans and fries- both outstanding. Dessert- tangerine pot de creme with buttermilk donuts. Another perfect meal at MGFD!