“Delicious food and a great atmosphere!”

Michael's Genuine Food & Drink
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 4,202 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N.E. 1st Avenue & N.E. 2nd Avenue
Transit: Miami Dade Transit Bus Lines # 2, # 3,# 9, # 10, # 36, # 93, # 202, # 236. For detailed route information go to: http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/tm_for_web.pdf
Description: Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink is a showcase for the cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Schwartz, with prices designed to encourage frequent dining. This unpretentious bistro seats 90 indoors and out, with another 14 seats at a handsome bar. Doubling as a casual neighborhood dining spot and a culinary destination, the bright, airy space in Miami’s evolving Design District showcases Schwartz’s trademark new American cuisine at prices designed to encourage frequent dining. Open daily for lunch and dinner, the menu is chock full of choices encouraging everything from a light bite to a multi-course feast. A quick glance at the menu and Michael's intentions for this restaurant are revealed. Notable is the frequency of the word homemade in the descriptions of dishes -- be it pasta, French fries or rabbit terrine. At the same time, Michael's takes advantage of the Chef’s decades-long relationships with winemakers to offer diners the opportunity to try a variety of wines at great value.
Naples, Florida
“Delicious food and a great atmosphere!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I were in Miami last weekend for a concert and found Michael's genuine food and drink was recommended by a number of people. I first saw it in an online article as having one of the top five burgers in the country and I was immediately intrigue. We arrived around noon on Sunday for brunch – and stupidly did not have a reservation. Luckily someone no-showed their reservation and we were seated. I certainly recommend making a reservation if it all possible!

The waiter arrived and explained to us that the brunch is all small dishes and he recommended 2 to 4 separate items per person! I was very excited because as soon as I saw the menu I knew that I couldn't decide on just one. My husband and I shared five items between the two of us and it was perfect! (We had just been on a two hour bike ride, so if you are not too hungry five might be too much)

The food and the atmosphere were terrific! I especially loved the shrimp and grits!
We will definitely be visiting Michael's next time we are in Miami – and would highly recommend it to any of our friends!

Miami, Florida
“very average”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

4 of us went back to Michaels as it was so good last time. This time was not as good and I got the feeling that they are simply living on their reputation. The portions are small and expensive and not tasty. My biggest disappointment was that there was only one main course fish dish and that was swordfish. Surprisingly it was all gone by 8.15pm and was replaced by tile fish!
The desserts were mediocre and the service was perfunctory.
This restaurant has become too successful and it seems that the staff are either tired or disinterested. I think it needs a good kick in the pants.

1 Thank ChrisPaulAnnaMarie
“Food at it's best.”
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

The food, atmosphere and the service is fantastic here at Michael's Geniune Food. There are so many unique items on the menu and are constantly changing. Fresh ingredients prepared in the finest way. Truly enjoyable. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited November 2012
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food and service. A fantastic evening all round.”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is a must visit restaurant when in Miami. Not only were the staff warm and welcoming but they were all so knowledgable about the food and produce. Robin, our waiter, could not have been anymore attentive. The food was mouth watering and the range of locally sourced produce, meant we ended up sharing lots of different dishes as we could not decide what to eat! Everything was interesting and tasty.

Miami, Florida
“Overrated, over priced, rude!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I have lived in Miami for three years and finally went here on my birthday. Not only did the switch our check with the table next to ours but when they realized their mistake they left us standing in the hot sun for half an hour. When we complained about the issue to the manager she offered us 10%off of our meal and threw some money at us to leave. So tacky!

• Visited March 2013