“Tex mex elevated to an entirely new level”

Jaguar Ceviche Spoon Bar and Latin Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Jaguar Ceviche Spoon Bar and Latin Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 4,458 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Coconut Grove
Cross street: Matilda Street
Reviewed December 7, 2012

From the blue corn rolled chicken tacos to the fresh corn soup, Jaguar does not disappoint. Great for getting together with friends or for families. They bill themselves as Cuban. Outside of the black beans and rice (excellent by the way), the menu has more of a tex mex with sea food flavor to it. Highly recommended.

Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I had never had ceviche before, so I can't compare it to other restaurants, but the waiter was very helpful in explaining the dish and helping us chose what to order. The ceviche was excellent. We sat outside on a beautiful night and enjoyed the cozy patio atmosphere. Ii would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Second time I had dinner again loved it, quality and taste is consistant. Ceviche at its best, reasonable prices and have to highlight one gentleman Yusuf, i believe he is one of the managers, took care of us and gave excellent recommendations. He pretty much guided us through the whole dining experience..very knowledgable and genuenly cares, enjoys what he is doing..Do not pass the desert selection Banana desert is a must try..

Reviewed November 24, 2012

It was Friday night in the Grove, and my girlfriend and I had finally left work early enough to have dinner out like the rest of the civilized world.

Where do civilized people love to eat? Jaguar.

The ambiance was lively, and the bar had two seats available just for us. Now, bar dining is not the norm in Miami, but bar dining is kind of my thing. In many cases, I prefer it for a casual dinner with a friend to table dining. However, in this case, for sure not.

Our bartender, a surly, unhappy looking fellow, promptly addressed us when we sat and asked if we would like a drink. +1, surly bartender. +1

After perusing the menu, I ordered the Ipanema; my friend, the mango mojito. Both drinks were absolutely phenomenal, but did not necessarily pack too much of a punch. As avid drinkers whose livers have softened over the last few months as part of our more timid, work-oriented lifestyle, we were only a little disappointed.

We ordered the ceviche sampler.

My cocktail was dangerously low by the time the sampler arrived, and the bartender hastily dropped it off without so much as a brief explanation of all of the delicious varieties of ceviche we now had before us. When I looked up to address him, he was gone.

The Ceviche Oriental was my friend's favorite, and the Black Market was mine. For no less than twenty minutes, my drink was empty as we each took careful pieces of the ceviche, saving enough on each of the six spoons so that we could ask which variety was which the next time the bartender came by. When he finally arrived, we were able to ask about the ceviche, but he had vanished again before we could talk about my empty glass situation. Surly bartender is surly, and apparently well-versed in magic. I feel a little betrayed.

We begin to do that thing that annoying bar customers do; the thing that, as girls in the industry for many years, we promised we would never do. We begin to lean over the bar expectantly, following him with our eyes, until he notices us. We are good-looking and well-dressed. I only takes him another five minutes to swing near. We pounce.

I order the sangria, and it is in front of me like that magic I mentioned earlier. She orders the sauvignon blanc. It tastes like not very good sauvignon blanc. I am content with the sangria.

We order the crab cake, it comes out cold and fishy. We ask for another, and it comes out less cold and a little better. This is our fault; we ordered a crabcake at a ceviche restaurant, and I am pretty sure we know better than that.

We ask how the sangria is made, and the bartender informs us that "It is made with cha-bliss. Cha-bliss is a California wine." Oh, good. We decline to ask about the sauvignon blanc.

One awesome thing about sitting at the bar is that we have the opportunity to see all of the cold dishes being prepared, and there is a salmon tiradito that looks like it is just to die for. After we wait the typical ten minutes for Surly Bartender to wander back around, my friend inquires about it. The bartender informs us that "That's called 'salmon tiradito.' 'Tiradito' means 'thinly sliced.'" Awesome. We order it with the onions on the side.

It takes a while.

We order shots. Two shots of whiskey and two girly shot chasers. We leave the girly shots to his imagination, and he produces a mixture of Jaeger and Monster. Mmm. Girly. And creative, too.

Still waiting for that salmon.

We take the check. Charged for the crabcake, but not for the sangria. Apparently our salmon tiradito was free, but we never stuck around long enough to get it, as an hour and a half had been quite long enough for us.

Go for the ceviche, not for the wine knowledge or the crabcakes.

1  Thank Sergio_Clark
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Our party of five dined here recently, with three picky eaters among the group, and all five left extremely satisfied! The Latam Grill items were excellent - steaks were ideally cut and cooked, and the organic chicken with goat cheese was melt-in-your mouth perfection. The House Specialty Maqueca De Camaron had amazing flavor, and even our pickiest eater cleaned her plate of Chicken and Cheese Quesadillas.

We also shared a half-pitcher of white sangria, and two desserts - the flan and the banana/peach/cheese stuff pastry. All highly recommended.

The only tip to offer is to ask the waitstaff for guidance if you have any spice-adverse diners in your group. The menu is NOT well-marked to indicate which dishes have heat (and how much heat...) and we were (happily) surprised when some of our dishes arrived spicy.