“Better than Expected”
Review of Miami Sun Hotel

Miami Sun Hotel
Ranked #106 of 128 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed February 23, 2011

During a recent convention weekend, Miami prices were driven up astronomically. My South Beach hotel tripled from a previous rate and mediocre properties were charging well in excess of $100. Given some of the reviews, I was hesitant to try the Miami Sun but couldn't resist the $60 rate.

I found the accommodations to be acceptable and even stayed two nights. Don't expect much, but the bed was fine, the a/c worked well and it was fairly quiet. Wi-fi worked perfectly in my third floor room. The front desk staff was exceptionally friendly and went out of their way to give advice on attractions and transportation. When you arrive it does have the slight appearance of a transient hotel but once settled in, that impression went away. It is a darker, quieter area of downtown, but is easily accessible to restaurants, shops and on close to major public transit routes. The only huge complaint I have is that the shower was either scalding hot or cold, making for a challenging shower.

If you are on a budget and other hotels are significantly pricier, I would recommend the Miami Sun for a very basic choice.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank rjc260

Reviewed January 10, 2011

Before going on a cruise, thought we would stay at a cheap hotel close to the port. Worst decision. In retrospect...would def splurge on a more expensive hotel. The first sign of danger was when our cab driver asked us why we were staying there because he thought it was dirty. He was def right! After we got off of the rickety elevator to our room we saw the disaster. It looked like there was blood on the ceiling and a bullet hole through the window. We didn't sleep under the sheets for fear of what we might catch and even thought of sleeping on the towels we brought. I was awoken at 1:30am to 2 men pounding on our door wearing all black. I obviously didn't answer and they eventually left. I laid in bed the rest of the night scared for my life. I have traveled to many foreign countries where we may not have stayed in the nicest places, but this is the first place I have def been scared for my life. Would never stay at again and would def never recommend!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2010

The hotel makes a regular habit of letting what appear to be homeless men sleep in the chairs in the lobby. The clientele in the hotel was very similar, however, and people who were not guests seemed to come and go fairly regularly. (I know because I was sitting in the lobby with my laptop. It is the only place where you can connect to the internet). The rooms were very basic with window a/c. Although the mattress was decent, the pillows were almost flat. There weren't proper curtains over the windows so the room stayed lit. There were about five channels on the tv. The furniture looked like it had seen better days. The worst part was the bad bug bites that I got, which are currently swollen and very itchy. The only good thing about the hotel is the location, which is near to the free peoplemover. There is no parking, and I had to use a nearby garage, which charged $16 a night.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2010

The hotel is awful! When you see it from outside, it is an old pink building resembling a jail. The glass on front door is broken. The reception TRIES to look very nice. We booked the rooms online, but they charged the whole stay immediately, is it the normal way the hotels should operate? The elevator is sooooo slow! And it jerks as if it is going to fall down. Inside it seems no one lives there, but you can see poorly dressed people sometimes, they all look like drunk people, some of them like homeless ones. The smell in rooms is awful! All my clothes were stinky after a night. The shower and toilet room is so small, that you can hardly move there. The shower cubicle is 70 by 70 cms only! The towels are dirty, you can see hairs on them. The covers on beds are in holes from cigarettes. The window is filthy, you would never want to even look at it. The wash basin is in the room. The TV-set is on the shelf near the ceiling, but you need to be careful not to touch it as it seems it can easily fall down. The rate was moderate, but I'd better pay twice or thrice and never stay in that hell! Internet is only in the lobby. They say you can use it on your floor, but I saw some people complaining it did not work (the receptionist is a LIAR!) The only good thing was that we just came back to hotel only to sleep, though taking a shower was a real attempt. If you ever go to that hotel, just close your eyes and nose and maybe you will be able to survive.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sallibra
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Do not stay here under any circumstance. If you are this hard up for cheap lodging you should drive to a better area and just sleep in your car. No kidding.

I am absolutely AMAZED that this place is still in business and not shut down by the health or police department. When you enter your room(if you make it that far) you WILL stop dead in your tracks and be completely aghast. It's like something out of a horror film - so incredibly filthy, stinking, and run down that you will quite literally marvel at it's decrepitude. I've stayed in some nasty hotels all over the world and I cannot believe that this place is even in the United States.

This place should be demolished so thoroughly that the ground beneath it could be plowed, and the front desk staff (such as it is) should be publicly flogged for their complete rudeness and apathy. If you set out to INTENTIONALLY make the filthiest, nastiest crackhouse possible you could not make a worse place. It is nothing short of surreal, particularly when darkness falls.

Hotel and local attractions include hordes of homeless people just sort of hanging out around the entrance, drunken people openly urinating not only in the streets but right in the stairwells of the hotel, a deep pungent smell of vomit in the carpets so old that the regurgitants that made it are probably all dead by now, and a rude and disinterested staff that would put a flophouse in a third-world country to shame.

Shopping/services would include a wide variety of prostitutes readily available in both the local area and hotel proper, illegal drugs of every description being sold right in the hotel lobby and right out front, and stolen merchandise is also easily obtained from many of the unsavory creatures wandering around.

If you cancel you will not get your money back, and if you book through Priceline here is what will happen: Priceline will tell you that the refund authorization has to come from the hotel. The hotel will very rudely tell you that it has to come from Priceline. So kiss your money goodbye.

Please take my advice and do not even begin to consider staying at this apocalyptically awful place. It may have been a decent hotel 60 or 70 years ago but now unfortunately it is a filthy tenement like something out of 'New Jack City', 'Escape From New York' or 'The Crow'.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank dominus69
Reviewed February 18, 2010

The woman at the counter refused to look in the computer to find our reservation, so we waited about an hour for her coworker to come downstairs. He was absolutely obnoxious about him not having our reservation and rude about it on top of that. There are vagrants stationed in the front of the building, and completely unprofessional or courteous staff. The very safety of the neighborhood is questionable, and the building decrepit and in bad need of many repairs. I washed my hands as soon as I left the building. And I dont think I am ever going back to Miami if I can help it.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank HasStandards
Reviewed September 21, 2009

for a broke college student!...
This place was amazing. The price was perfect. We paid for 5 nights and got 2 free!.. It did seem a little sketchy at first, but then we discovered that the location was great and the people weren't that bad. The hotel is secured at night. They close the lobby doors at 11pm and you have to show an id to get in... They offered room cleaning for an EXTRA CHARGE but we were more than welcome to bring down dirty linen to be exchanged for fresh ones and to use their broom! =D
Susan and Tony (hotel staff) were kick a$$! They were both very down to earth & helpful.
I did not see any roaches or other bugs, thank God!
It's not a fancy schmancy hotel, but who needs one when you're here to enjoy Miami. I was only in my room at night to sleep...
This is a great hotel if you're not high maintenance!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple