“Awful and Scary” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 120 Hotels in Miami
Memphis, Tennessee
“Awful and Scary”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Upon finding this hotel, it was totally unrecognizable of pictures shown. Shady looking characters abounded. The cab driver who drove us to this place was even scared. Left us standing there with our luggage and raced away. When we made our way in I was chased down by some man demanding to know if I had parked my car in the lot. I thought he was a drug addict but he actually worked there, I told him we had taken a cab there. So there IS a fee to park here. Upon getting inside the front desk lady was very friendly. She also let us know the soda and vending machines were empty. The elevator license was expired and I thought we would crash from the creaky sounds that came from it. Upon arriving at our room, they had put us in a secluded corner with no lighting. We took it upon ourselves to try and change the bulb, but it shorted out [fire hazard] We felt like bait. Asked to be moved and were moved. Rooms are tiny and creepy. I did look for bed bugs but saw none. Sheets were stained. Asked for clean sheets and got more stained sheets. Ice is locked up in lobby if you can find a drink they will put ice in a sack for you. We had planned to stay 2 nights but we got out of there the next morning....never to return. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. The bed was lumpy. There was in all fairness an attempt at cleanliness, but this place needs to be condemned. I felt as if a terrible joke had been played on me. There were no amenities at all. Heed my word and stay very far away from this creepy hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank reno876

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Tabernash, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Please do not make a reservation in this hotel is terrible. We made a reservation because we never though would be that bad and it was just one night so even after to read all the comments we went there. When we just walked in we noticed that the building is really old but we didn't have other place so we checked in. The elevator stinks really bad and the room was a nightmare it was completely dirty same thing with the bathroom. This place is unacceptable, they shouldn't call it hotel at all. Anyway we couldn't stay there so we decided to get out of that place. As we expected they charged us full price but we didn't care we just wanted to leave, We spent the next 2 hours looking for other place but it was worth it. So if you want to stay there do not make a reservation go to the place and ask them to show you the rooms then yo can decide . I am writing this review because I don't want other travelers ruin their vacation for places like this.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chiwi123
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Thinking the reviews were just angered guests, and reading some positive reviews, I decided to book a "suite" at the Miami Sun. Homeless and drug addicts hanging outside the front doors. The front desk attendant was shoeless with his feet up on the desk. The elevator smelled like cigarettes, musk and mold. I was scared to look and see if the elevator was up to inspection because it was so creeky and slow. I feel really stupid for booking the room because we left after our event and drove home the same night of arriving. Location means nothing if your staying in filth. Stay away.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank 1kbb
Samui
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Please, never make a booking this hotel.
If you ever stay in chinese hotels you understand me. If you are lucky and don't know what is it.. I'll explain.
Cost is 60$. All amount prepaid.
When you are arrive..,you can see that all pictures were made with help of photoshop! Nothing look like! Small hotel, dirty , small room, half of staff are broken, no hot water in the smallest bathroom!
I was in shok. Highly recommend to look for other hotels.
Thank you for reading.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ina M
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel was gross. The room was dirty and out dated. The bathroom was filthly and small and the sink was outside of the bathroom. The bed was old and if you even touched it it made tons of noise. The spings in the matress were almost sticking all the way out. If i could give this hotel less than 1 i would. By far the worst place i have ever stayed. Please avoid at all costs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alisha R
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The reviewers have not been kind to Miami Sun Hotel. I stayed there for three nights recently and really enjoyed myself. It is a budget hotel. The place is old. it is weathered but I found it acceptable. I have stayed at other budget hotels and Miami Sun was neither better nor worse. It is in a great location. The area is very safe during the daytime and evening hours. I would be cautious late at night. Staff was helpful. Room was basic but bed was good. Hotel was very quiet. I would recommend it for those on a budget. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you do not smoke, ask for room in non-smoking area.