“Worst and most horrible stay” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Miami Sun Hotel

Miami Sun Hotel
Ranked #102 of 121 Hotels in Miami
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Worst and most horrible stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

yes, the hotel is cheap but it is a dumpster, seriously. My wife and I wished we had slept in our car instead of staying in this trash. Not only that, but also the surrounding area is so dangerous and we were advised not to walk alone after 8PM. All night long there was a crowd of people fighting outside and we could not sleep. Therefore, at about 5:30AM we decided to check out and put an end to our horror night. When checking out, we were appalled to see the night-shift receptionist along with the two night guards all dancing to blaring rap beats. Definitely, one of the guards was drunk: I asked him about some directions and I could tell he was wasted. This trash hole deserves less than a zero rating.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Saleh2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

This hotel was amazing, in every aspect. From the moment we walked in we were warmly welcomed by Doris, who was very accomadating to our last minute changes. She helped us navigate miami and waz very kind. This hotel is located next to a deadmau5 barber shop that has music all day and night outside. And the best cuban bodega in the city is right next store...simply delicious. We will stay here every time we come to miami.

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank Raveharder
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

To start this review I will say that the prices for this hotel are very cheap, but of course you get what you pay for. Upon checking in you will be greeted by a very rude receptionist, and im not basing that on one individual im basing that on the entire staff of the hotel. Very unpleasent employees. Now onto to the room. If being roommates with mice and mold doesnt bother you than the room should be just fine. They are small, dirty and smell. If you look at the ceiling and walls you will quickly discover mold and water damage and leakage coming through. Gross is the only word to describe the rooms. The beds are old and just as filthy and you can bet your bottom dollar you will be spending the night with bed bugs. Not to mention being extremely uncomfortable. The bathrooms are just as out dated and neglected. I have no good things to say about the rooms in this hotel.
Being in Miami the hotel has an alright location just minutes away from south beach and etc. HOWEVER! beware that it is not in the greatest area of Miami.
All in all I do not recommend this hotel to anyone. Its old, dirty and neglected. The building is mold infested and really out dated. You will not enjoy any part of this hotel or your time in Miami if you are staying at the Miami Sun Hotel.
I would also like to mention this is my first review I have ever written about a hotel, it ruined my vacation so much that I do not want anyone else wasting their time or money here. This hotel disgusted me so much that I want to inform anyone thinking of booking here. Its not a good deal its a rip off!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank davidttr
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

This hotel is not only bad, but also very dangerous. Gangs on the street, weird people in the hotel and the most horrible rooms i've ever seen. Don't let the location of this hotel or some positive reviews on this site change your mind. You really don't want to sleep or even be there!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DeKleintjes
winchester,va
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

this has got to be the worst place that any could stay i would sooner sleep in street than in this place i will make it short we travel alot i dont care how cheap this place is or how close it is to miami port dont stay here it is very dangerous here drugs ,bums,dirt,blood ,vomit ,prostitutes,oh and did i mention more dirt DONT STAY HERE

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank 1crazyvaboy
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

During a recent convention weekend, Miami prices were driven up astronomically. My South Beach hotel tripled from a previous rate and mediocre properties were charging well in excess of $100. Given some of the reviews, I was hesitant to try the Miami Sun but couldn't resist the $60 rate.

I found the accommodations to be acceptable and even stayed two nights. Don't expect much, but the bed was fine, the a/c worked well and it was fairly quiet. Wi-fi worked perfectly in my third floor room. The front desk staff was exceptionally friendly and went out of their way to give advice on attractions and transportation. When you arrive it does have the slight appearance of a transient hotel but once settled in, that impression went away. It is a darker, quieter area of downtown, but is easily accessible to restaurants, shops and on close to major public transit routes. The only huge complaint I have is that the shower was either scalding hot or cold, making for a challenging shower.

If you are on a budget and other hotels are significantly pricier, I would recommend the Miami Sun for a very basic choice.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank rjc260
Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

Before going on a cruise, thought we would stay at a cheap hotel close to the port. Worst decision. In retrospect...would def splurge on a more expensive hotel. The first sign of danger was when our cab driver asked us why we were staying there because he thought it was dirty. He was def right! After we got off of the rickety elevator to our room we saw the disaster. It looked like there was blood on the ceiling and a bullet hole through the window. We didn't sleep under the sheets for fear of what we might catch and even thought of sleeping on the towels we brought. I was awoken at 1:30am to 2 men pounding on our door wearing all black. I obviously didn't answer and they eventually left. I laid in bed the rest of the night scared for my life. I have traveled to many foreign countries where we may not have stayed in the nicest places, but this is the first place I have def been scared for my life. Would never stay at again and would def never recommend!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple