“Fantastic day out with my 2 & 4 year old” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 318 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Miami Children’s Museum (MCM) is dedicated to enriching the lives of all children by fostering a love of learning and enabling children to realize their highest potential. We encourage visitors of all ages to play, learn, imagine and create. We are a non-profit educational institution that meets the needs of all children in our multicultural community. We offer interactive exhibits, programs, and learning materials related to arts, culture, community and communication. MCM’s Vision: It is our vision to be recognized as a premier institution serving children and their families while inspiring children to learn about themselves and the culturally diverse community we live in through the arts, literacy, and early childhood education.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Fantastic day out with my 2 & 4 year old”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Just spent a great afternoon here with my girls and husband. So much to do, see, learn and play with. The downstairs area is set up so kids can play at different occupations with rooms set up like a bank, hospital, dentist, fire station, construction and vet. There is a small soft play area for under 1's too. Upstairs is a cruise ship, music area, art gallery, real working cranes to play with, motor boats and the teddy bear area which has a reading corner and some games. The highlight for me was the wizard of oz area. It is so well thought out, loads of education but fun activities based loosely around the story. We played here for ages and even hubby and me had a go at some of the activities. There is an outdoor playground within the museum for the kids to burn off some energy and we finished with a climb on the climbing wall.
This museum is great fun and well worth a visit. The only downside is the food, it's a subway. You could bring your own snacks but you can't eat inside the museum. I'd say the museum suits ages 2 - 10.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Emmaloocoo

• Czech first
Central NJ
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Terrible!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I took my 20 month old to museum while visiting Florida. Having visited numerous children's museum in the north east I was expecting something very different. This place was awful! There were few activities suitable for my son.

What was for him was either broken or very limited. The blocks were grimy. The music area had a couple tambourines but all other instruments were broken. At the cruise ship a motorized boat was disabled.

The construction zone, a favorite of my son's, was very limited. There were a few hard hats and some blocks but that was it. No trucks or anything to grab a kid's attention.

There was a Wizard of Oz exhibit that had nothing to offer. All the kids could do was push buttons to make sounds or light ups.

As mentioned earlier, my son has been to a bunch in the NY area. We are members of the Please Touch Museum in Philadelphia and were able to enter the Miami Museum for free because of our membership ($16 otherwise). He is used to just walking in and going to play. I usually have to drag him to another exhibit to explore. At this museum he willingly followed me around as if looking for something to play with. We were out of there in 40 minutes.

I could see an older child enjoying some aspects of the museum. I would definitely skip this if your children are young, trust me, they won't have a lot of fun.

Visited November 2012
Miami
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Boring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My kids are 9 and 11. They did not like this place. It is geared for young kids. The location is nice. It is pricey considering its a museum and pretty boring. I dont think we will be back

Visited April 2012
2 Thank jadejoann4
Charlotte, North Carolina
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Gift shop was a bit small”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I stopped at the gift shop only and it was a bit small but has some great items esepecially he sale items. Like the majority of miamiians the staff was nice.

Delray beach, fl
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Plenty to do”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went in the morning, left for lunch and returned for the afternoon with our 5 and 7 year olds. We really enjoyed the wizard of oz display and every thing else available. It was nice getting there 1st thing in the morning as we had the place almost to ourselves for the first hour. The real motorcycle was cool! and they had a drumming for wellness session that was fun for us all. My daughter loved trying out real crutches in the Dr. office and the arts and crafts were great. Well worth the $.

Visited October 2012