New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Miami Airport Marriott

Miami Airport Marriott
Ranked #46 of 121 Hotels in Miami
La Habra, California
“Airport convenient - free shuttle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Free shuttle to the hotel from the airport comes around every 15 minutes or it is only a $10 taxi ride from the airport.

Lobby was nicely decorated. Rooms were nice (not the best Marriott has to offer, but 4 out of 5).
Service at the front desk was very slow - needed more than 2 people checking people in at 10pm - which was disappointing.

Quick room service late at night was a plus.

Concierge breakfast for Elite Marriott members was very good with great fresh strawberries...

I did not see much of Miami - but super convenient to the airport. There is parking fee - so if you can maximize the taxi or shuttle from the airport, you could save some money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ALinCA5512
David_Cesario, General Manager at Miami Airport Marriott, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate the review on your recent stay. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our shuttle service, lobby, and Concierge lounge.
Thank you for staying with us and for being a loyal Rewards Member.

David Cesario

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I checked in late because of flight delays - the restaurant was open. I ordered a flatbread and it was delicious after a day of travel. I appreciated that they kept my water glass filled. The room was comfortable and spacious and the bathroom was very clean and very bright. There is a nice fitness center and the lobby is spacious and welcoming. I was with a large group and it was easy for everyone to gather. The Starbucks is handy - right off the lobby. There was a shuttle too and from the airport. The staff, I encountered, was friendly and welcoming. The only difficulty was in getting cabs in the morning - we had quite a long wait on our first day. The second day was much improved. I had a comfortable and convenient stay. A super clean bathroom is always a good thing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AnnieO11
David_Cesario, General Manager at Miami Airport Marriott, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and providing such great feed back. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will ensure to share your comments with our staff.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We were not happy to be checking in as we were only meant to be transitting through Miami but our flight connections were ruined (thanks for nothing, American Airlines). However the staff were welcoming and it is a comfortable hotel for an enforced layover. The beds are really comfortable and there is a great gym and nice pool. No views to speak of. The restaurant and bar were good enough and the buffet breakfast quite nice. Surprisingly you don't hear the planes from the room but the plumbing was noisy. The hotel and rooms are old but have been refurbed and the rooms themselves are large and comfortable. It is a short free shuttle to and from the airport so very convenient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
David_Cesario, General Manager at Miami Airport Marriott, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am happy to hear that you were pleasantly surprised during your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to review us and for the positive comments regarding our rooms, staff and food and beverage. We take pride in ensuring our guest have a comfortable and quiet stay.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stay here several times a year for business. The front desk staff is amazing, as is the entire Hotel staff. This hotel should give lessons on customer service. Nice clean rooms, great fitness center. Friendly Concierge Lounge Staff (great food also). Convenient to airport and the rest of Miami. Can't go wrong here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank palmbeachflguy
David_Cesario, General Manager at Miami Airport Marriott, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for the fantastic comments about our staff, service, cleanliness, and fitness center. It is great to hear that your stay was enjoyable and that you found the hotel convenient.

We will see you on your next visit,

Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Overall, a nice place. Great service and friendly staff. Concierge lounge staff extremely customer focused.
Restaurant was a huge disappointment. Too casual and obviously no dress code. Many folks sitting around in sleeveless shirts and ragged shorts. They would have been okay in the bar area, but not in a dining area of a fancy hotel.
Food also a disappointment and was only average. We were there for a night on our way to a Caribbean Island, and returned for another stay on the return trip. The second time we ordered room service rather than go to that restaurant again. Food again was fair, and they did not follow our request for my wife’s salad dressing to be served “on the side”.
Would I stay here again – most definitely but I would not have the same high expectations I had for a Marriott Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ray Z
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to review our property. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our staff service and our concierge lounge.
I do apologize that the food and beverage did not meet your expecations; We would have loved the opportunity to correct those items while you were staying with us.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you on your next visit to Miami.

o fallon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Hotel looked as tired as I felt. It took us 3 tries up and down the elevator to get a room with a lock that would open with our card. This included waiting for security to assist us and giving up after 15 minutes. The halls are dingy and worn. Our room was fine, but with a brief shower I had a good 3 inches of water around my ankles. No frig. Only stay here if you are too tired to go anywhere else.

Room Tip: If you have a long lay-over in Miami, the hotels 7th floor bar has a quiet lounge area where you can...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.
I would like to speak with you further regarding the issues you encountered during your stay with us.
Please contact me at your earliest convenience 305-649-5000.

new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The title says it all, it actually was the only thing that prevented this place from getting a full five stars.
More on that at the bottom...
2 areas of note before going in dept
1) this hotel is not near downtown; at all. its by the airport and the crowd echoes that. a cab ride to south beach will run ya
2) while not transient, its still miami. watch your wallet... read on.....
This property apparently was remodeled recently (or so i was told) I stayed here for a week long business conference, and must say, by and large for the most part, they took care of us quite well. The building is kept in very good clean shape, and the staff up till the last night was very accommodating. We were a very large crowd (few hundred people) and they made sure things were running like clockwork; conference rooms were kept in good shape, meals prepared etc etc. The conference rooms, that came in all shapes and sizes, including the top floor skyline room were clean and current. The lobby (filled with all sorts of airport people, word has it this is where the cruiselines and airlines keep ya if there is trouble) was attractive, had a classy sportsbar type place, a starbucks, a small canteen 24 convenient store and very refreshing ice water, with lemon and orange. Important though, there were not enough computers; this may have changed since I have been there but there were only about 4-6 if I remember correctly. Comfy couches and nice futuristic artwork and lighting. Since we were here for conference we experienced everything this hotel had to offer, including the catered breakfast, which was very good, especially the mini omelets. The dinner in the ballroom was as well, well prepared. This is Miami, the staff (cleaning and waitstaff) were very helpful, however slow with the english language. slow. s-l-o-w. esss, ellll, owwwwe, double-youuuuu. think that conswello girl on that family guy tv show. yeah.
The gym is one of the best and plentiful a hotel can offer. No closet with a beat down treadmill and stationary bike with no seat. This was a big room with a soft floor. Stretch balls and free weights galore, a yoga area and even tv's. The gym where I live is good and has less then this hotel. The equipment overlooks the pool area, which as well, is very, very nice. Its not tropical, but it does have a nice large pool and hot tub (with very strong jets) and a nice bbq type area where for some groups they have nightly midnight snacks at the pool. I cant lie, they were yummy. The hot tub jets were not the only strong jets here, on certain days the flight patterns at the airport only a mile or 2 away gave way to the occasional jet taking off or landing, so there is some jet noise, sometimes they flew very close to the high rise! The jet noise is barely audible from inside the rooms though, however when there are a abundance of 'younger crowds' security locks the gate to the pool on request at night. This is a inconvenience because other guests can not use it if they wish, or they get in trouble for hopping the gate.
The rooms were updated and plush. A little on the small side, but did not feel cramped. The beds were some of the most comfortable I ever stayed on. The windows do not have a deck area overlooking the pool, apparently they did before the revamp, but would have been a nice addition. This is a nice, well maintained property, and everyone in my group enjoyed themeless. If you are by the airport or are holding a conference it is recommended. HOWEVER....
The last night my cell phone was stolen; right out from under me. I went for my nightly dip in the hot tub, instead of finding the usual airport layover crowd, there were drunks with tattoos, and a stereo. They seemed nice yes, however my cell phone and room key i left on the chair with my towel just inches away were gone as i discovered when i got out; only minutes after they did as well. How nice to have something stolen right out in front of you. This of course, is not the hotels fault, however what unfolded thereafter ... well, you decide...
I raced to the lobby, called my number; sim card already out, its probably been sold already on ebay. Figuring it may have slipped in the bushes the nightworker gave me his flashlight (very nice) and i ransacked the bushes to no avail. I even went to the other 2 hotels in the complex/community and asked if a cell phone surfaced. I told the front desk what happened. I told them a description of the people. At least they were honest and said, they checked them in late about a hour ago but it is not their policy to knock on doors over such issues and they just need a bigger sign by the pool "not responsible for lost or stolen". Considering the evidence I had I told them calmly yet sternly I was going to call the police. They directed me to "a policeman" who could help. Of course hes the night rent-a-cop, who actually, made things worse; talking to me in a tone that made me feel I was the perpetrator ("IM just telling YOU ...SIR.. whats going to happen with this action") He then gave me a form to fill out; you know the type "item stolen:____, what time:___where:___ etc" I asked where it was going and what can be done, and he just kept saying "you KNOW where its going.... *interrupts* you KNOW where its going" when I said no i dont know where its GOING he just said "in a record". When I asked what record he said "our records, in a file, and if you keep asking questions we will call the police". When I jumped for joy at hearing they were getting the police involved he told me to calm down and the cops were not coming for them, they would be coming for me.
-here is a friendly reminder to all travelers; remember, if god forbid items are stolen and the hotel tries to take it in their own hand, they take a note/report and it sits on a shelf. Filing with the hotel is different from filing with the police, which they do not want you to do, then it goes on public record. After being treated like a criminal from the hotel cop, I went to the phone in the lobby, began to dial miami police, when the front desk worker came over and told me if i bring the city police into this i can leave the property. "theres no need for that sir, we will make a report of it right here". Suffice it to say, all three parties got their way, I got the miami police over, the police got involved, and the hotel gave me the boot. True, by the time the police get a warrant for the hotel to hand the name and room number over of the thief's who took my phone they probably left already, but at least writing this exercises my right to free speech in a public forum and brings attention to how this was handled. Its not a crime ridden town (despite another person in my party having his computer stolen from a van in downtown miami on this trip as well) but watch your back. From here my trip concluded with a drive up to thunderbird flea market in ft lauderdale where i proceeded to buy a new cell phone; the exact same model as the one that was stolen, slightly used, probably stolen as well.. who knows, maybe it was my own.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank speedotorpedo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate all the positive comments about our decor, food, conference services, pool area and gym. I am very happy to hear that it was all to your liking.
It is very unfortunate that your cell phone was stolen and I can certainly understand your frustration. We do train our staff to follow certain protocol when it comes to situations such as these, and I will ensure to share your comments with my staff.

Thank you for staying with us.