“Thumbs Up!”

Neighborhood: Little Havana
west palm
“Thumbs Up!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Another satisfied visit to Yambo. I usually stop here for lunch but this time I arrived late in the evening. I dined inside which was not as busy as I'm accustomed to during the earlier hours.

Likes:
-Great value. Large portion of carne asada with rice and peas, fried plantains, and salad along with a large tamarind juice all for $10
-Food is tasty
-Service is prompt
-Not a chain restaurant

Dislikes:
-No longer accepts credit cards...cash only (ATM on the premises)

Will I return? Absolutely

• Visited August 2013

South Florida
“late night food, safe, clean & nice people there”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

i am very anglo but needed a place to eat after a late night of work near lil havana. tried to find a diner but duh, look at the neighborhood i work in?! found yambo's on trip advisor and decided to try.

they were close to my work and offer parking in a congested neighborhood. it's buffet behind the counter. i asked for possible language help but none needed because the woman serving was fully bi-lingual (we laughed at my assumption). they are nicaragua food which is similar to latin altho here is my take on it....

meats - pork chunks (delcious but quick fried so outside crisp!), chicken and tongue. tongue was recommended by the guy waiting in line next to me but maybe another day. they do only white rice, and there may a have been beans but i selected just the rice. they offer a "salad" which was good but a take on cole slaw - finely shredded cabbage with a sweet/sour vinegar dressing. i was very full and very satisfied with my dinner. i think my bill was $6 - unbelievable value!!

you pay for food at one window and can get beverages at another window. this girl didn't speak english, but who cared as you could easily point at what you wanted!

it was pouring rain the night i was there but the patio cover is more than large and there was at least 10 other people there. a nice mix of middle aged to quite young, english to spanish to spanglish. i felt totally safe and wanted.

it's 24/7 - so i'm sure they do a big late night biz after the night clubs in miami.

i'd definitely go again.

• Visited April 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“DELICIOUS!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Great good! NO, AMAZING FOOD! Had the pollo frito with rice and maduros. AMAZING. You must also try the queso frito. They have a salsa on the table and it was amazing, put some on the chicken and the rice and it is delicious. This place can get a line, but they are quick. I was craving Yambo the next day. I also heard they were 24 hours. Will definitely be visiting again very soon!

• Visited March 2013
florida
“Tasty, nicaraguan food”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Haven't had nicaraguan food in a while and this restaurant doesn't disappoint. When you arrive you can either sit outside and go through a cafeteria style line, or you can go inside and get served by a waitress.

I decided to have the sampler plate for $15, which had a bit of everything.

As seen on the photo, the sample platter is a monstrosity. I was expecting a few bites of different things, but that platter could have fed a whole table. The platter came with yuca, pork, salad, carne asada, rice and beans (gallo pinto), chicken tacos, moronga (bloody pork?), sweet plantains, platanos verdes (fried), fried cheese, and an enchilada, which is not like the ones you get in a mexican restaurant.

Overall the food on the platter was excellent, and I specially loved the carne asada or grilled meat. However, I thought that the pork was not as original as it should have tasted. I have actually had this dish made by a friend's mom who is from Nicaragua, and compared to that dish, I thought it was lacking flavor, but nonetheless, the pork was good, but definitely it lacked that true "chancho asado" flavor.

I also found the tacos to be dried, but then I was told I was supposed to put the sour cream on them. Ooops! Nonetheless, didn't care much for the tacos or the enchilada, which I thought was also dried, but then again, I'm comparing them to mexican food and I was told they are made different in Nicaragua.

I didn't dare try the moronga as it didn't look appetizing to me, and had I known, I would have asked to have chicharrón, instead of moronga, but will save that for my next trip.

I also ordered the tamarind juice and that was as homemade as my friend's mom used to make it so I also ordered the Calala to try, and it was also excellent. The juices at yambo are not watered down like in other miami places so definitely they are worth trying out, specially if you never had them before.

To finish, we had the buñuelos, which is fried yuca dipped with some type of sweet syrup; delicious, but they were cold; when I've had them in the past, they are warm and not cold. Nevertheless, they had the "nica" buñuelo taste, so would get that again, if I could.

If you're in the area, I highly recommend this place, although the parking situation is quite bad. Best to go there after the lunch rush hour, if possible. When I get back there, for sure I'm having the carne asada dish as it was delicious! And make sure you pour the sour cream on the gallo pinto for a tasty meal!

By the way, didn't think the waitress was all that friendly, but when we busted some spanish, her attitude changed. When in the south florida area though, friendliness at restaurants is the last thing I'm looking for.

• Visited January 2013
San Diego, California
“awesome food, good hostess and good decoration”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Awesome food! Awesome restaurant!
We found this on yelp, and it's Spanish only. We speak English and Chinese but still want to have a try. Luckily, there's some English explaining the dishes. As a seafood lover, I got the fried snapper for sure. It was a whole fish fried warmly with lemon aside. I finished the fish and leaving the bones only.
My friend got BBQ beef which was marinated well. Another one got a bit spicy pork which is also got a great seasoning. Another great thing is, they have huge portion side salad which made all of us pretty happy.
For drink, there's no explanation, so we just decided to try our luck. We got chalala (guava), cacou (choco), limonade and chicha (purple corn juice). I have to say they are all successful picks and chicha is really good tasting!
And the waitress is very nice and kind waiting us pointing at random things. :D

• Visited December 2012