“#33”

Neighborhood: Little Havana
Miami
“#33”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

That was the number of the dish I ate. It was mutton snapper in some sort of broth with parsley, maybe lemon & butter with a few potatoes. It was served with black beans & rice with plantains. I couldn't stop eating it! I am not latin & was born in Miami. This place is nothing to look at, there is no ambiance, but it does not matter. The food & the prices more than make up for it. It's clean & that is important to me. They don't speak much english, but you get by if you don't speak their language. I will be going back.

• Visited January 2013

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Largest Selection of Cuban Sandwiches”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Ate lunch here Monday. After eating at Versailles for years, then moving on to the Carretta for a few more years I stumbled upon these guys one night years ago. I've been passing them for years. Regrets...Regrets. I should have dumped those other two places years ago. This place has a few daily specials 7 days a week. Get there early because frequently they run out. Has an extensive cuban menu, with almost 20 different sandwiches on offer too. The platano soup will bring you back from the dead. Endless selection of desserts. A coffee window that's open late. Friendly wait staff.

• Visited December 2012
Miami
“A taste of old Havana”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

If you want to experience what Havana might have been like 75 years ago (probably
would still be like left alone) visit Ayestaran. Great sandwiches and fine home cooked
style Cuban food. Generous portions and every Cuban dish known to exist. Been
coming here for decades. On Saturday evenings you see some of the older Cubanos
dress up a little to eat here and an older gentleman serves you wine with a towel
drapped over his arm which is delightful but somewhat incongruous in this
clean but less than elegant restaurant. Got to love the total experience.
This is a good size place, they also have a separate cocktail lounge, and
you can sit at the lunch counter or at a table and there is a big parking lot in back.
If you want good Cuban food at a good price in an authentic and comfortable
setting, this is the place. Bring an appetite. A batida and a Cuban Sandwich beats
the hell out of a Big Mac and a milk shake. And if the plantanes madura have been
sitting around too long, just tell your waitress; she'll bring you fresh ones.

• Visited April 2012
Texas
“Better than my mom's”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

It was late when we drove by, 7pm. We told the waitress we had been away for almost 30yrs and wanted some real Cuban food. We were not disappointed. I tried the soup of the day, Ajiaco, one of my favs and it was excellent. The soup is made up of root veggies, corn and a meat stock, the bowl had a piece of each plus a chunk of pork. I savored every drop. My husband ordered a childhood fav, crema de malanga, creamy and garlic spiced. I had to argue with my mom on why she never made that at home. It is worth another trip to Miami just to have another bowl. The family had media noche and cuban sandwiches which we each relished...wonderful memories of our childhood rushing back. We topped the evening off with cafe cubano. We were too full for dessert. But the place will be our first stop on our next trip.

• Visited December 2011
San Francisco, California
“Good food, no frills, well-priced. Awesome Espresso!”
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Not a luxury dining, but a great place to have decent sea food and other Cuban food. It is definitely Cuban (not Mexican pretending to be Cuban) - they did not know what Horchata was. the food is well-made, and very reasonably priced. We paid $58 for two people for oyster shot, shrimp dish, lobster dish, mojito, and 2 espressos with tax and a generous tip - a bargain, if you ask me. The most incredible were espressos. We have never seen such rich and thick crema, and we traveled in Italy and France. If nothing else, you just must come and have espressos there, if you are espresso fan. Overall, highly recommended, if you are looking to try decent Cuban food and not paying too much attention to the interior/exterior.

• Visited May 2011