“A great place for a solo dinner”
Review of River Oyster Bar

Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 7th Street
Transit: 8th Street Metro Mover
Reviewed November 5, 2018 via mobile

Had a really excellent dinner here while on a business trip on my own.

Was in the classic dilemma of hotel room service or go and have a table for one, but this place turned out to be a really excellent option.

Sat at the bar and immediately got into a great conversation with a couple of friendly regular visitors to the bar.

The service was super friendly and the food and drink excellent. I had a mixed ceviche which was really tasty and just the kind of ‘light seafood’ option I was looking for.

Great variety of drinks too - and atmosphere had a nice buzz without being too overstated.

Will definitely return when I’m next in Miami.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed October 22, 2018

I wrote a glowing review of the restaurant a while back after enjoying what was the best lobster roll ("Bun") in Miami.
I returned with my husband on Saturday, looking forward to enjoying this item again. There were many empty tables when we arrived at 5:00pm and we were told by the hostess that we could have a table as long as we vacated it by 7:00pm. We agreed to this, were seated and given menus. I was excited to see the Lobster Bun still on the menu. My husband made his selection and we were set to order. The waiter told us that the menus we had been given were the dinner menu and the items on it were not available until 6:00pm. He explained that the only items available now would be raw bar items or the bar menu. He also explained that there was no printed bar menu but he could take a picture of the menu with our phones. This seemed very strange but we agreed. With the very limited bar menu now on one of our phones we debated ordering or leaving. We decided to order a couple of items from the raw bar menu and I ordered the lobster cocktail from the bar menu. The items arrived and the lobster cocktail was very disappointing. The lobster was overcooked, rubbery and difficult to cut with a knive, due to the overcooking and the silly presentation of the half lobster on top of ice, making it even more difficult to attempt to cut into bite size pieces. We finished eating and still being a little hungry, we ordered the warm chocolate cherry desert. We waited over 20 minutes for something that just required warming up. We finally agreed this was ridiculous, asked for the check, paid and left. I was very disappointed and embarrassed that I had told my husband that the meal would be a nice treat. Sadly, we are not planning to return.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 18, 2018 via mobile

I have come here since Brickell City Center did not exist and this place continues to be one of the hidden gems in Miami. Food is fresh and honest (no, this is not a gourmet highly sophisticated Milo’s like place), great selection of drinks and the best part is a neighborhood type of service.

Turnover among servers is low and it is a always a pleasure to come in when they know you by name.

Have some spare time? Come in, order a martini and half a dozen oysters and your day will get better, promise

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 17, 2018

Been coming to River Oyster for years and have never been disappointed. Food is always fresh and well prepared. The bar area is always busy and has a great ambiance. Service is also pleasant and the wait staff are well informed and prepared. There are a few go-to restaurants on my list while in Miami...River Oyster is at the top of this list. Absolutely love it.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed September 17, 2018

Tried River Oyster Bar the day before I went to PAO. We stayed at the Mandarin Hotel and asked the Concierge where to go for a nice seafood restaurant close by (walking distance). They recommended the River Oyster Bar as well as many bloggers here in TripAdvisor. Sad to say it was a terrible disappointment.
First, the front of the house was not very accommodating. The hostess "gene" was not inherited here. Our server on the other hand was very good. My food review is split right down the middle. We ordered Oysters and they were good. Now here is the not so good part: the vegetables, the mahi mahi, the rice and everything else that was "main entrees" were inedible. Salt must have been a gift from somewhere to the restaurant because they used it freely. Everything that came out of the "hot" kitchen was salty to the point of spitting the food out of my mouth and rinsing it with water for about 5 minutes. So so sad. My husband kept insisting, due to all the recommendations given to us, that something was wrong in the kitchen that maybe the chef was sick or something. I said no that is not an excuse for salty food. But he wants to try it again, Maybe I dont know Im still drinking water to clean the salt off my mouth since Friday and today is Monday (a little exaggeration but gosh darn it try putting plain salt in your mouth and swallow it) It was not good to say the least. Sorry about this review but needed to say it.

Date of visit: September 2018
2  Thank Ana S

Been to River Oyster Bar? Share your experiences!