“Upscale and Understated Miami Gem”
Review of River Oyster Bar

Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 7th Street
Transit: 8th Street Metro Mover
Miami, Florida
“Upscale and Understated Miami Gem”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

One of my very favorite spots in Miami, The River Oyster Bar is an upscale but understated gem of a local restaurant serving very high quality seafood and shellfish in an urbane, refined setting.

Prices are reasonable given the very high quality here, and the place has an urban, sophisticated feel to it. (The ambience sits somewhere between that of a Manhattan bistro and Venice Beach's Abbot Kinney area.)

Particularly on weekends, the bar can get quite crowded (with both drinkers and barside diners), and the tables fill up quickly, so a reservation is essential.

Standouts for me typically include Northwest oysters, perhaps the best bucatini with lobster fra diavolo in town, and consistently excellent fish dishes.

Very conveniently located in Brickell, too. One of Miami's very best, in my view.

Recent update: I believe the River Oyster Bar is soon to be affected or even closed by the ongoing construction for a major new commercial and residential development across the street in Miami's Brickell district. Call ahead before you go.

• Visited April 2013

Miami, Florida, United States
“This is my favourite oyster bar in Miami”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great oyster, I mean great selection, great service, wonderful appetizer, great atmosphere, no tourist at all. This place it's for local Miamians who loves seafood. Everything have always been perfect. I suggest to seat at the bar to eat: the bar tenders are very smart and it's a pleasure to deal with them. We use to come almost once a month. Ideal place for a romantic teta a tete even if there is no view the charming atmosphere it's perfect. Oyster po boy it's fabulous even if not always on the menu. The crispy calamari salad very very good. Everything I mean everiyhing!

• Visited December 2012
Ashland, Massachusetts
“knowlegable friendly staff producing great food”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I checked out the menu ahead of time and thought it looked interesting; everything that is but the blue crab gnocci. I love good blue crab and I occasionally enjoy gnocci - but together? - no thank you. To begin, we tried a mixed half dozen oysters. Awesome! A couple of other apppetizers came next, including some tasty razoe clams. I ordered the cobia as an entry. It was simple but excellence. My dinner date ordered the blud crab gnocci of all things. Unforntunately, I tried it and had to admit that I loved it. So much so that we switched plates half way through. There wasn't a negative the whole night between the food, the drinks, and the service.

• Visited June 2012
Miami, Florida
“Good atmosphere, pricy but very fresh seafood!”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We did not have oysters, but everything else we tried was fresh and excellent. Good drinks. We sat at the bar, very nice and friendly atmosphere.

Visited October 2012
Northbrook, Illinois
“Delicious Food”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Food is absolutely great - they know what they are doing. Very fun and lively environment. The crowd is diverse but mostly a younger crowd at the bar. It is a perfect restaurant in Brickell and a great place to go for happy hour. Service sometimes lags and when they get busy, they can easily get overwhelmed.

• Visited December 2012

Been to River Oyster Bar? Share your experiences!