“good food, service standards need a review”
Review of River Oyster Bar

Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 7th Street
Transit: 8th Street Metro Mover
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Good news: people are right the bar/bar food is great&a bargain. Clams casino, bacalo (skip the conch) fritters were great and $5 Stellas help you enjoy more. The clam linguine had an intriguing sauce with chiles, tomato, garlic blended & light. Dont understand the trend of adding pork to clams (Williamsburg too)--not my favorite. As everyone's noted--you can blink and be in serious $ here(so focus!); BUT I was traveling alone and there's definitely a pecking order: couples, men alone, then single women--the hostess midweek wasnt friendly or skilled; bartenders sunday were aces/not so mid week(everyone else got bread, water, attention...)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Nine family members ate here last night (Sunday). I realize there are challenges when you have that many people in a group vs. a table of two or four people, so I am definitely more forgiving and patient when eating in a group. Our server was adequate, not great, but competent, with a couple of exceptions. First course was a delicious mussels appetizer with coconut milk, lemongrass, lime, basil and chiles. DO NOT MISS THIS DISH! It was amazing! In fact, it was much better than my entree. Yeah, let's talk about my entree. The server and runners brought everyone's entree to the table except mine. My family wanted to wait for me to get my entree, but I told them to start. I'm glad I did. A few minutes after everyone was served, the server came back to me and said that my entree would be out in a few minutes. More than a few minutes passed. Some of the other diners were well halfway through their entrees when a woman who didn't bother to identify herself came over to me and told me there had been an "incident" with my entree and it would be out in a few more minutes. She was apologetic and not knowing what had happened, and not being told what happened, there was no way of knowing if the situation could have been avoided. I told her that I accepted her apology, but that didn't change the fact that everyone was well into their dinners and I hadn't started. My entree finally arrived and it was good. Not great. In a separate issue, my husband asked the server when ordering if the dish was spicy because he can't tolerate any spice at all. The server assured him it was not spicy. Guess what? When it arrived, it was too spicy for him to eat. And they tried to argue with him and tell him it was ginger, when it clearly was chiles of some kind. The good news is that everyone else enjoyed their meals. So.....there are too many good restaurants in Miami to go back here again.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Very nice atmosphere, feels more sophisticated than most restaurants in Miami, not ridiculously overpriced but not a cheap restaurant by any means. Seafood is very fresh and the jalapeno cornbread is so good.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Nice and cosy setting where the service was nice. Food was not exceptional. Would I go back? Yes, but remembering that it was not a 'wow' place. Prices were skewed to the higher end.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Well served, fresh oysters . Good wine list. Friendly service. I found lot of local people, that demonstrates the quality of food that for sure has the same patterns since long time.

Been to River Oyster Bar? Share your experiences!