“long wait”

Chart House Restaurant
Ranked #1,663 of 4,167 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Coconut Grove
Cross street: South Bayshore
Description: Located minutes from downtown Miami in the exclusive Coconut Grove area, Chart House offers superb waterfront views of Dinner Key Marina & Biscayne Bay from both the dining room and patio. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 29 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From seafood specialties to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi or our Slow-roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines, and decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake.
Miami
“long wait”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

We made reservation for a Friday night at 8:30 p.m. however, when we arrived we were told they had to clear some tables before we could be seated. We were handed a beeper and told we could sit in the lobby or at the bar. After 1/2 hour of waiting in the lobby we went to ask about our table and was once again told they had to clean some tables before we could sit. As 1 hour approached of waiting we were ready to leave when the young woman told us our table was ready. Our beeper went off while she was speaking with us which was so stupid. We got up from the lobby sofa and now began waiting by the hostee desk for another 10 minutes while the women were running around trying to see who could sit us.Once we were seated my husband and I noticed that there were at least 3-4 empty tables around us. There certainly was no need for us to have waited 1 hour for dinner. By the time we started to order it was already 9:50.The food was good but nothing out of this world. I ordered the Best of Shrimp which was suppose to have 3 different types of shrimp however, I got stuff shrimp instead. When I asked the waiter where my shrimp scampi and coconut shrimp was he said he thought I ordered the stuff shrimp. He offered to change it for my but by now it was 10:30 and I was starving. The last winner event of the night was the fact that we were lucky enough to be seated behind a real loud mouth who really killed our romantic dinner. This place is not worth all the hype and if you want to spend a lot of money at the bar before dinner then this is your place to go. The Chart House knows how to take the reservations they just don't know how to keep them.

• Visited June 2014

• Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great view while dining outdoors”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

This Chart House restaurant is located a few miles south of downtown Miami in Coconut Grove and is right next to the Dinner Key Marina on Biscayne Bay. The view from the outdoor patio is great as you can watch all the boats coming and going. This restaurant is part of a chain of about 30 Chart House restaurant locations. The chain is owned by Landry’s, a large corporation that owns over 500 restaurants. There is also a bunch of sailboats anchored in front of the restaurant (I was told people actually live on these small boats). You can sit inside the restaurant or in the outdoor patio seating area (we sat outside).

I went on a Thursday evening in late May with two co-workers and generally enjoyed the experience. I had the fresh grouper and asparagus and the table shared a shrimp cocktail as an appetizer. The shrimp cocktail and the asparagus were really good but the grouper was a little dry and was only ok. For desert we split the hot chocolate lava cake (note – you must order it 30 minutes in advance). It was only 10.99 which was a bargain since it was large and all three of us shared it (and it was awesome).

The service was below average as he forgot about us a couple of times and it took a long time to get our food order in. I was amazed at how slow he was considering the small number of people in the restaurant. The server who was waiting on the table next to us was always around but our server was missing in action most of the time.

Even though the grouper was dry and the service was slow I enjoyed my dinner at the Miami Chart House and recommend it. I really enjoyed sitting outside in the fantastic weather with the great views of Biscayne Bay and the marina.

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Turned out to be a very nice dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

We were looking for good fresh seafood in coconut grove, read reviews and were a bit apprehensive. We didn't want to drive into Miami after spending the day there on the beach. When you first walk into the building it smells musty and old. So we opted for outside dining in the fresh air overlooking the harbor. (Excellent choice). My guy ordered the snapper and I had the stuffed tilapia, both cooked to perfection, ordered the chocolate dessert as suggested by Jay our server. He did an excellent job!! I would go back again, as long as I sat outside.

Orange Beach, Alabama
“Always a great dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Every time we are in Miami, we make sure to have dinner at Chart House. It's always a great dining experience.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A Very First-Class Fine Dining Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

I docked for the night at Dinner Key Marina and wanted to enjoy fine dining. The Chart House in Fort Lauderdale is one of my favorites but the Trip Advisor ratings of the Coconut Grove Chart House were quite mediocre,. Nonetheless, I could find nothing else in the area which met my needs, so I gave it a shot.

It was fantastic. The maître d' greeted us warmly and give us very nice seating on a busy Saturday night. The décor was attractive and the view of the bay outstanding. The server was pleasant and attentive; the food was prepared and cooked to perfection and delivered to our table promptly, although we were not rushed in any way. All in all, it was a first rate and memorable dining experience. I'll be sure to go there again the next time I visit the area.

• Visited April 2014

Been to Chart House Restaurant? Share your experiences!