“Good Chinese restaurant”

Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Transit: Take Metro Mover, and get off Omni station, we are on 1717 N. Bayshore Drive, in the Double Tree Grand hotel.
Description: Tony Chan's Water Club is an internationally renowned, Miami's premier Chinese restaurant located inside the Doubletree Grand Hotel lobby, next to the beautiful Biscayne Bay and the Sealine Marina. All cooking is MSG free; every dish is cooked to order. We serve contemporary Hong Kong-style Cantonese cuisine, which is light in salt and oil in-take. Our signature dishes include Peking duck, steamed Chilean sea bass, North Sea baked scallop, Abalone, and more.In addition, we offer fresh, high-quality sushi, and we also offer a full-service bar and an extensive wine list with a wide collection of domestic and international fine wines to enhance your dining enjoyment.At this upscale downtown favorite, we have romantic waterfront views overlooking the bay in addition to tables facing the chefs through the kitchen’s floor-to-ceiling windows. Come by today, and we guarantee that you’ll have “the best Chinese this side of Shanghai”.
Hong Kong, China
“Good Chinese restaurant”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I found this restaurant accidentally by walking around the shopping area next to Marriott. Since it said it is a Hong Kong style Chinese restaurant I decided to give a try. In fact I visited two times in two days.

Chinese food and Japanese food, though have some similarity, are two very distinct food cuisine. Whenever I visit a Japanese restaurant, I prefer to visit one owned and run by Japanese.

The restaurant has a sushi bar near the entrance, with a TV mounted on the wall. Guests can enjoy sushi and beer while watching NBA. I visited with 3 others so we selected a square table inside. There were not so many guests at dinner time so it is quiet. One does not always see a Chinese restaurant with a see-through kitchen wall like this unless the owner has high level of confidence in hygiene. It is interesting though that open kitchen of this type is not common in a Chinese restaurant.

For dinner we ordered a beef mignon, sweet and sour pork, fried morning glory vegetable as suggested by the waiter, fried rice vermicelli, and a corn soup. Portion is very generous. Taste is generally acceptable because I do not have very high expectation. But I would say a corn soup from a can cooked by myself is better than their soup.

The next day we came here again for lunch. We ordered some dim sum, fried rice, prawn with vermicelli and vegetable. Again, portion is big, the food is acceptable and service level is generally good.

There is one problem though is that a gratuity of 18% (roughly) was automatically added to our bill of party of 4 which I think is not the norm to do that.

Before I came here the previous evening, I surfed over tripadvisor for opinion. I saw one review published earlier that complained about finding bones in a steamed sea bass. I would like to share my opinion here. Chinese usually serve fish, especially steamed fish, in whole, meaning Chinese cook the whole fish from head to tail and serve as is, with ginger, green onion and soy sauce. So when Chinese serve fish, whether in whole or in part, bones is usually not taken away by the chef. It is the eater who needs to take the bones away. That is why the waiter did not think it is a problem to have bones in a fish. On the other hand I can understand why some people who do not eat fish that way found it unacceptable and frustrated to find bones in it. It is a matter of different culture and habbit. Just do not believe everything from a TV show. Whenever you go to an exotic restaurant or place be prepared to see and experience something different. Similar case for fortune cookies. It never appeared in China, only in American Chinese restaurants.

When you have Japanese sushi or sashimi, of course bones are taken away from the piece of fish before serving. When you order grill whole fish in Japan, the whole fish (usually small ones), including head, tail and bones is served. Even when you eat tempura in Japan, the fried fish comes with small bones.

• Visited May 2014
Jenny Z, Manager at Tony Chan's Water Club, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thanks for the recommendation! Glad you're such a fan of our food. As someone who knows authentic Hong Kong style food, your compliments mean the world to us. Next time you're in town, stop in and visit us.

Laguna Beach, California
“Not the best Chinese place I have been to”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I liked the location and the menu looked good. It was overpriced and the food was just ok. The place was pretty empty and a lot of employees chatting with one another. Service could have been better.

Visited May 2014
Jenny Z, Manager at Tony Chan's Water Club, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
We're disappointed to hear we didn't wow you. Thanks for the honest review, and we hope that the next time you're in Miami you'll give us another chance to impress you. We're confident we can step up to the plate!

Springfield, Tennessee
“Good Chinese Food”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We can't decide where to go for dinner and this place was close/convenient so we decided to try it. Good thing we did! The food and service was really good. The serving portion is a lot! I would recommend this place if you are in the area.

• Visited May 2014
Jenny Z, Manager at Tony Chan's Water Club, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
We couldn't be happier to hear you chose to grab a bite to eat with us! Thanks for the 4-star recommendation, as well as your kind words on our food and service. Hope you'll see us again the next time you're in Miami!

Sarasota, Florida
“Died and went to heaven”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Food, service and atmosphere were all first rate. My wife and I ate here and were totally satisfied in every respect. You can'y do better in Biscayne. I highly recommend this restaurant to all. You can see your food being prepared. Menu is extensive. Valet parking is $3.50.

• Visited April 2014
Jenny Z, Manager at Tony Chan's Water Club, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Wow, Paul, thanks so much for the 5-star review. So happy to hear you and your wife were impressed during your time with us. Come back and see us again the next time you're in Miami!

Colorado
“Old school delicious!”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I'm one of those people who loves Chinese cuisine, but the old original specialties made common in the New York China Town. Their menu is vast, the dining welcoming to all size parties, but it's not fancy nor laced with frills. The service is very good, and if you like, you can watch your meal being prepared thru a glass partition.
My husband and I love it because...the food's original, delicious, and the menu is vast.
They offer other oriental specialties, but we delight on what we have on our monthly visit.

• Visited February 2014
Jenny Z, Manager at Tony Chan's Water Club, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Glad to hear how much you and your husband love our restaurant! We appreciate you sharing in this wonderful 5-star review. It was our pleasure to serve you delicious dishes, and we can't wait to serve you many more in the future!

'Til next time,
Tony Chan's Water Club

Been to Tony Chan's Water Club? Share your experiences!