“Not a vietnamese restaurant” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Little Havana
Montreal, Canada
“Not a vietnamese restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I know there is not many vietnamese restaurant in Miami but sometimes we're just looking for an average authentic cuisine and we would be happy. First when I got there I asked who was in the kitchen. The waiter said that the chef is not there and so the new chef is an american.

It says it all. The food is terrible. The chef doesn't even know how to make a simple fish sauce. Forget about the rest.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Michael T

Miami Beach, Florida, United States
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I visited Hy Vong last Sunday, July 26th with a friend. Except for a very good pork appetizer that was a special, this Vietnamese food was very disappointing. The spare rib appetizer came in a broth that put your mouth on fire and was full of grizzle. We had the recommended chicken that was enfolded in a pastry crust and covered with cream cheese. This was a glop of dry chicken, heavy pasty crust and the cream cheese was the worst. Who could eat this? We also had a noodle dish was okay but very little memorable taste. I don't know what all the fuss is about. This food is awful.

Tracy, Miami Beach Resident

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tracy G
Plantation, Florida
“Delicious Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Am already set in my ways with this delicious food, it is the calamari salad to start, can't even describe it, is just not what I was expecting in a wonderful way, the pumpkin soup, salad and an entree either some lemongrass chicken or the vegetable and tofu with fresh rice noodles, was just amazing, all the flavors and sauces taste so original and refreshing and the dessert was a no brainer, cant say enough, besides the owner is so nice. Enjoy

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Miami, Florida
“sometimes you will have to wait!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I don't like waiting, but we were already there...4 of us. The food was very good. Everything we ordered was fresh cooked (increased the waiting). The portions were generous and the price was very reasonable. The overall experience was good but not to the point that I will specially go out my way or wait so much to eat there.
Its a reliable good place, were the owner is in top of the business, I wish the menu will include some more fresh and or small dishes.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Miami, Florida
“Miami's little secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

This restaurant is not the typical "Miami style" restaurant, which makes Hyvong so incredibly original. I love coming here to eat since its out of the norm. It is a very long wait but it is so worth every second. The food is made to order which is why Kathy's food is delicious and authentic. I honestly have tried many dishes here and have yet anything bad to say about any of them.

My families favorites are: