“Miami's little secret”

Neighborhood: Little Havana
Miami, Florida
“Miami's little secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

This restaurant is not the typical "Miami style" restaurant, which makes Hyvong so incredibly original. I love coming here to eat since its out of the norm. It is a very long wait but it is so worth every second. The food is made to order which is why Kathy's food is delicious and authentic. I honestly have tried many dishes here and have yet anything bad to say about any of them.

My families favorites are:
Pork rolling cakes
The chocolate chip cake
The coffee

Springfield, NJ
“Reasonable wait/ great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

After reading the love it or hate it reviews we were curious to try this place. We only waited about 15 minutes for a table. We sat outside and were able to order drinks while we waited. We did go late- about 9:30 on a Wednesday. A few tables came in after us and got in even more quickly. We had the spring rolls for an appetizer. It was awesome- but there were only two small rolls so order your own! I had the beef with vermicelli noodles and my husband had the pork with noodles. In hindsight we wish we would have ordered dishes that were not so similar. The food was tasty and fresh and we both enjoyed the meal. Our bill for one appetizer, two noodle dishes and two glasses of wine was in the $50 range. The service could have been more attentive, but we will go back--late.

Visited April 2013
Plantation, FL
“Very disappointed and will not return or recommend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Ate here with my wife and 14-year old on a weeknight because I had heard good things and had read positive reviews in the past. Other reviewers have noted the very slow service. I second those opinions and add that the service is not only very slow but very sloppy and unprofessional. As for the food, it was simply not good and in some cases repulsive. The squash soup that others have raved about (and that came complimentary with the dinner entree) was inedbile and smelled like dirty feet. It actually caused my wife and son to gag. The entrees my wife and I ordered were not much better. We ordered the chicken curry with sweet potato. The pieces of chicken were all on the bone and were almost all bone. The chuncks of sweet potato in the watery sauce contained big spots of grey! As for my son, he ordered a beef rice noodle dish and was brought a shrimp noodle dish. When they subsittuted with the right dish, it was nothing special (althought it was the best meal that was presented). Also, for what you get, the prices are very high.
We complained about the food and service and they did the right thing -- comped us. But the owner/manager -- who is not Vietnamese; not even Oreintal (there ddi not appear tobe a single Oreintal person workign there, not even in the kitchen) -- in so doing, made some obnoxious comments that she "would not apologize for her food" and that we probably did not know good Vietnamese food from bad.
Do not go here. Bad experience.

1 Thank rhannah
miami
“...and yest another successful visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

After over 25 years of coming to Hy-Vong, I have to say that it remains my favorite restaurant. I can pay more money at other places, but the food to me is very consistent here and can not come close to others.. Often, when visiting a new restaurant, the feeling of dissappointment often accompanies a very large bill. Yes, sometimes is a long wait, yes, sometimes they run out of your favite dishes, but if you get there right when it opens, and set yourself for an enjoyable couple of hours, your rewards will be without measure! The duck is aways a sure winner!

Miami, Florida
“Incredible cuisine. Be prepared to wait .... and wait.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Wow! What a great restaurant. Hy Vong does not take reservations for less than five people. We arrived at 7:10 and finally sat around 8:00. The restaurant is small with not so special decor. Although the service is very friendly, it is extremely slow all around. The most important aspect is the food. We had the calamari salad and pumpkin soup which were both excellent. We split the Lemon Grass Chicken (very spicy) and Shrimp Rice Noodles. Both were amazingly good. The price was very reasonable.

Can't wait to return and absolutely worth the wait.