“Very disappointed and will not return or recommend”
Review of Hy-Vong Vietnamese Cuisine - CLOSED

Hy-Vong Vietnamese Cuisine
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner
Neighborhood: Little Havana
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Ate here with my wife and 14-year old on a weeknight because I had heard good things and had read positive reviews in the past. Other reviewers have noted the very slow service. I second those opinions and add that the service is not only very slow but very sloppy and unprofessional. As for the food, it was simply not good and in some cases repulsive. The squash soup that others have raved about (and that came complimentary with the dinner entree) was inedbile and smelled like dirty feet. It actually caused my wife and son to gag. The entrees my wife and I ordered were not much better. We ordered the chicken curry with sweet potato. The pieces of chicken were all on the bone and were almost all bone. The chuncks of sweet potato in the watery sauce contained big spots of grey! As for my son, he ordered a beef rice noodle dish and was brought a shrimp noodle dish. When they subsittuted with the right dish, it was nothing special (althought it was the best meal that was presented). Also, for what you get, the prices are very high.
We complained about the food and service and they did the right thing -- comped us. But the owner/manager -- who is not Vietnamese; not even Oreintal (there ddi not appear tobe a single Oreintal person workign there, not even in the kitchen) -- in so doing, made some obnoxious comments that she "would not apologize for her food" and that we probably did not know good Vietnamese food from bad.
Do not go here. Bad experience.

1  Thank rhannah

Reviewed February 25, 2013

After over 25 years of coming to Hy-Vong, I have to say that it remains my favorite restaurant. I can pay more money at other places, but the food to me is very consistent here and can not come close to others.. Often, when visiting a new restaurant, the feeling of dissappointment often accompanies a very large bill. Yes, sometimes is a long wait, yes, sometimes they run out of your favite dishes, but if you get there right when it opens, and set yourself for an enjoyable couple of hours, your rewards will be without measure! The duck is aways a sure winner!

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Wow! What a great restaurant. Hy Vong does not take reservations for less than five people. We arrived at 7:10 and finally sat around 8:00. The restaurant is small with not so special decor. Although the service is very friendly, it is extremely slow all around. The most important aspect is the food. We had the calamari salad and pumpkin soup which were both excellent. We split the Lemon Grass Chicken (very spicy) and Shrimp Rice Noodles. Both were amazingly good. The price was very reasonable.

Can't wait to return and absolutely worth the wait.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

The wait is pretty long, the food is very good, but service is slow, don't go there if you are in a hurry.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have been eating there for 20 years. Yes, the wait can be more than 90 minutes to get a table, depending on when you arrive. BUT IT IS WORTH IT!!! The spring rolls are the best in the WORLD. And the Chicken in Pastry is to die for. The pumpkin soup is amazing. And the squid salad too. If you are anywhere within 50 miles of miami, you should go to this wonderful restaurant!!!! Cathy the owner, knows what she is doing! Amazing place