“Excellent steaks”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 4,165 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: SE 5th Street
Transit: Brickell Avenue
Description: It’s fitting that the Miami River’s mouth opens wide at this enticing spot. Incomparable steaks dry aged on the premises led Miami Zagat Survey to observe, “a session here closes the deal every time.” You’ll strike gold in the Financial District with any dry aged steak you choose. We’re close to the Performing Arts Center and the Port of Miami. And next to none in incredible foodand service.
uk
“Excellent steaks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

On our first night and worse for wear after an nine hour flight we just visited this as it was the first restaurant we came across. What a gem. This is a must for special occasion dining. I had the salmon, it tasted amazing, my hubby and young son had the lamb chops which was ' the best they've ever tasted ' My other son had steak, which wAs truly delicious. The food coupled with excellent service and an extensive wine list makes this an excellent choice for a special occasion or in our case weary travellers.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank baahumbug

• Greek first
“I LUV THIS PLACE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

I honestly can say I have never had a bad meal at Capital.
Service can be spotty, depends on which waiter you draw.
Good value for the money. Love their steaks.

Visited July 2014
Miami, United States
“Flash backs of segregation...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

I had been to this restaurant a few years ago, it felt good when my good friend invited me for a belated birthday celebration. When we arrived (Friday, Jul 18th, 2014) we were immediately escorted to a room which during the day is used as a private party room which apparently on weekends is used as an overflow when the restaurant is very full.

My friend and I are dark skin Latinas and we were surprised that everyone in that room was dark skin. I joked to my friend and said, what is this, the black folks room? Our table was in a secluded corner and we asked the host to move us to e main dining room because we wanted to have the full restaurant experience and felt secluded and he claimed that there was a 1 hr wait. We decided to stay there.

What was interesting is that even though this "supposedly" was overflow room, no one else was brought to that area in the 2.5 hrs that we were there. When we were leaving we passed the main dinging room which was full of white people and I had an awful feeling, in my 34 years in this country, I had never had this type of experience and did not expected it in such a culturally diverse city as Miami.

Even though the food was exquisite and the service by a waiter named David was extraordinary, I found the staff and management very impersonal. I can't help to wonder if this was a weird coincidence or is recism still so alive and blatant?

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Angela C
Miami
“Another One That Is Loosing Its Luster”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Service was excellent - nothing to complain about that.
But, when we talk about a restaurant of the category of Capital Grille, they should have the responsibility to perform at a higher standard of excellency, at every level.
Lamb Chops - excellent - double cut - $45
Cesar Salad - mediocre to say the least - $11 - unjustifiable
Clam Chowder - espresso size cup - $10 - outrageous
I am assuming that since they are located Downtown, they are now focusing in the tourist crowd that is here one night and gone the next; but, locals do not have to put up with less quality at a higher price when we can find better for less somewhere else in the city.
Capital Grille was always the kind of restaurant that catered to a more sophisticated clientele. Unfortunately, we witnessed certain behaviors in people around us that were not exactly what you would expect at this level of dining.
We recognize that the restaurant is not responsible for the behavior of their guests; but, it certainly affect the image of the place when people around you are dressed inappropriately, are loud, or keep taking pictures (including selfies) like if it was the first time they ever saw a shrimp cocktail.
Dining out should be a satisfactory experience, that is the reason why we are so critical when one of our visits to a restaurant turns out to be less than that.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank OPSilver
Miami, Florida
“Never coming back!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Everyone can say what they want about how great this place is but in my opinion, it's not. To drive through the expressway to Downtown and to have the car valid in a underground parking lot to then go up the elevator and enter a dark restaurant is not worth the trip.

The restaurant is covered with dark wood, dark carpets and paintings along with deer heads on the wall. Far too dark for my taste. Our server was bland and was more interested in mingling with the table behind us than serve us. I asked for a drink from him and I never got it.

The food that I ordered was nothing special for a fancy restaurant. I ordered a cup of clam chowder that if you added a handle on the side, it looks like I'm eating from a coffee cup. $10 was how much this soup cost. Not worth it.

For the entrée I ordered a sesame seared tuna with ginger rice. Seeing as how I like tuna, I decided to have it. Once the plate was presented to me and took a bite, I will say I did like that it was moist and soft but lacked flavor. The ginger rice was horrible. I'm sorry but I've had better and for the price of $45? Not worth the money.

The dessert was simply crème brûlée and it did have a good taste. I believe the dessert was way better than my appetizer and entrée.

The Capital Grille may be in the center of DownTown Miami and be considered fancy and trendy for all around but don't let it fool you. Even if you got a certain dish that turned out good, ask yourself if it's worth the price?

For one, I'm not coming back.

• Visited July 2014