“Is this an authentic Cuban experience?”

Versailles Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 4,282 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Neighborhood: Little Havana
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was my first time having Cuban cuisine. The restaurant was filled with Spanish-only speakers (even the staff); people sitting and chatting for long periods after their food was gone. Our 2nd waitress (who spoke some English) was very helpful and attentive. Since we don't eat pork, we settled on 2 of the most popular chicken dishes -cooked until very dry - that came with traditional sides of rice, beans and sweet plantains (the best part of our meal). The flavors were light, including garlic and onions, and a predominance of butter. It was a fun experience, but I'm certain that Cuban cooking can be better.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We researched Cuban restaurants and stopped at Versailles last year on the way down to the Keys, and we enjoyed it a lot, so we wanted to stop again this year as we once again headed down to Marathon, but I am sad to say I was very disappointed with dinner (although the bakery was once again delightful). Last year my husband ordered the pork roast dinner and it was great so this year I ordered a cup of chicken soup and the beef roast dinner. First of all the soup was not hot and the beef was a pressed meat concoction similar to the canned or frozen meat you bought from Banquet Foods from the 1970's (at least that was the last time I bought it) AND IT WAS ALSO WAS COLD. I was so terribly disappointed because we had been really looking forward to our return visit. Ellen in St. Louis.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This restaurant is about 4-5 miles inland from downtown Miami. There were people outside waiting to be seated, we only waited about 30 minutes, we thought it would have been longer. The restaurant has about 80-100 tables. I had the chicken dish and it was very tender and delicious. My daughter had the steak and that too was very good. My kids saw how some other tables were mixing the black beans with the white rice, they did the same and loved it. The flan was no big deal, Mexican Flan is so much better. The plates are large, so sharing is a good idea, especially if you order appetizers.
After dinner we went over to the cafe and bakery and bought some guava pastries for breakfast - sooooo good!!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We tried their restaurant and we thought the food was so-so for someone who was trying the Cuban cuisine for the first time but their cortadito and their flan was delicioso...cafe con leche was not that great...language could be a problem if you are not good at Spanish but don't be afraid, its a landmark Cuban hotspot and there is a reason for that...chances of having English Speaking waitstaff over a weekend are much higher...

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had the Cuban Sampler and was surprised at how good it was. The atmosphere was little more diner than nice restaurant.

Been to Versailles Restaurant? Share your experiences!