“Gratuity is a bit much, especially for NO service!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Sushi Maki

Sushi Maki
Ranked #405 of 4,168 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Spreading the joy of what great sushi should be; delicious, responsibly sourced ingredients, creative and tasty combinations and an experience you want to have again and again.
San Fernando, Trinidad
“Gratuity is a bit much, especially for NO service!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Saw this restaurant on the way from MIA to DFW. Thought I would grab a quick bite. Got seated very quickly, and waitress took my order right away, brought the food but she soon disappeared. Mind you, this is a small restaurant, so I think they have to try really hard to 'disappear.' The food is good, but nothing spectacular, not that I was looking for that in an airport.

My bigger surprise was when the check arrived. 18% GRATUITY added to the bill automatically!!! I think that is a bit much, especially when no service was provided. I think that's the reason they get away with just serving and 'disappearing!'

• Visited January 2014

Southern California
“18% auto gratuity! ...and the disappearing waitress”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

The sushi was edible, actually better than I expected for an airport. Not great, certainly not as good as the average Valley strip-mall sushi bar in LA.

However, service was a joke. The waitress took my order, delivered my food and - POOF! - she was gone. No offers of water, no checking to see if I needed anything, nothing. I had to flag down other members of the wait-staff who did not look thrilled to have to attend to even refilling my water glass. AND THEN... the check and "INCLUDES 18% AUTOMATIC GRATUITY."

The restaurant was not crowded when I was there. I was a party of ONE and had such limited, POOR service! Management should be VERY ashamed.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Clearingcustoms
St Davids, Bermuda
“Has declined in the past year”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We travel through Miami airport several times a year and have sadly seen this restaurant decline in the last two times we've been. The food just isn't as fresh tasting as it used to be and looks like it has been sitting out all day. I then tried the fried rice and it came room temperature which wasn't appealing. Service is still nice and friendly but definitely noticed the decline in quality.

• Visited August 2013
Bel Air, Maryland
“Good Sushi but Interesting Gratuity Charge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

The sushi was good for an airport location because I wasn't sure what to expect. The hibachi chicken was average but anything with terayaki sauce added to it will be delicious. The only thing that I found very strange was that they added a gratuity charge when it was only 2 of us eating! My family owns restaurants and we have never done such a thing, I'm not sure your even allowed to in Maryland. It wasn't just 15% either it was 18%! It did say on the bottom if you wanted it removed to ask for a manager; therefore, I told myself why in the hell would they put it on there anyways. I was going to leave a 10 dollar tip anyways because I serve myself sometimes and know what it's like to get a bad tip or no tip. I was very shocked to see that added and don't think it's right. We SOMETIMES add a gratuity charge to parties of 6 or larger since they require much more work and if they jip you out on the tip then you get very angry. It was a good meal with average service and to add the gratuity when two people are dining is near unacceptable, but whatever I was going to leave the same amount anyways so it wasn't a big deal just very odd.

• Visited May 2013
Gold Coast
“Very Good Airport Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Ok, you've paid for your plane ticket, got your pass to the Admiral's Club Lounge but the food there is not so good. Why not head down to Sushi Maki. I understand from some of the other reviews it is a bit hit and miss as far as service goes. However, the restaurant is completely open: if the staff don't look inviting go back to the Admiral's Lounge. This place is not cheap but you do have the option of wavering the 18% auto gratuity if you are not happy. Always read the fine print. My sashimis unagi and tako were tasty and fresh. My wife enjoyed her edamane and tofu. I was still hungry so I had the sashimi salmon which was also pretty nice.

• Visited March 2013