“Best sushi in Miami.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Machiya Modern Japanese - CLOSED

Machiya Modern Japanese
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Thai, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: enjoy our fusion of traditional and contemporary Japanese cuisine. We take special delight in introducing our guests to new wines, great cuisine and unique pairings of food with wines and sake. Inspired by our executive chefs, the red miso braised Japanese short ribs and roasted Japanese Sea-bass with ginger tomato and spiced potato crisp are a celebration of flavor.Our fresh, mouthwatering sushi and sushi rolls create new ways to present the best ingredients we have to offer.
Bonita Springs, Florida
“Best sushi in Miami.”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

If you are a sushi fan, don't miss this place! It was delightful, possibly the best sushi in Miami. I definitely go back and recommend to everyone. Cheer!! Machiya!!

• Visited April 2013

US
“Great small meal”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Invited by a group of friend I stumbled into this great Modern-Miami-Japanese. The reason for the hyphens is because i don't think is neither Modern or Miami or Japanese. The food I've tasted "Roasted Japanese Sea-bass Ginger/ Tomato / Spiced Potato Crisp " was served with some crispy rice noodles. Served mostly with tomatoes , the tomato was seared just like the fish in ginger sauce . The whole dish was well balanced though and it was both enjoyable as well as modestly priced. The crowd was mixed in the various various areas of the restaurant that cater to all the taste, there was the booth, the bar, the tables and the outside to enjoy a cool evening in Miami's upcoming midtown.

• Visited March 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Machiya Midtown captures a delicate balancing act of cultures”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Definitely born out of the Nobu style era of Japanese restaurants in Miami, this show stopper walks a thin line. Listen to the music, a clear distinct loungy edgy South Beach vibe; read the menu, Japanese cuisine with a good dose of South America. Enter the restaurant and be transported to a chic urban space with bold statement wall art. Far from the calm tranquil, subdued culture of Japan, this restaurant has embraced it’s location in the Design District of Miami.

Before Nobu Matsuhisa set foot on Miami manmade South Beach at the Shore Club Hotel, the Japanese dining scene was all traditional. Calm little restaurants graced South Beach, Aventura, and Kendall. Then followed the splashy “it” spots that featured sexy sushi infused with South American ingredients. Now follows Machiya.

With its green outdoor seating and huge center stage liquor and sushi bar surrounded by several high tables booths and tables, this restaurant caters for any diner. The menu offers a huge selection of Ramen with various toppings and accompaniments. Small share plates, Tapas style, offers diners a chance to graze rather than fill up. Model cuisine, since Miami is known as home to many would-be and working models. The wine list is a good sample from global destinations, while the sake list is a little disappointing. I expected a little more weight and magnitude in sake selection for a restaurant of this caliber. But the full liquor bar makes up for any alcohol pit falls. Contrary to the proverbial “fried desserts” in Japanese restaurants, these creations may actually be worth eating.

Grilled Octopus Cherry tomato / yuzu aioli / bonito flakes. Wow! Tender succulent morsels of octopus with slight charred flavors exploded with umami. A spectacular dish, bowl licking good.

Fluke Tiradito Fluke sashimi / lava salt / cilantro / chili / yuzu lemon juice. A tiradito showcases the Peruvian preparation of raw fish that differs from ceviche by the way the fish is cut. These flavors combine into a marvelous profile of symphony. My only challenge was to get the chopstick under a wet cucumber disc to pick up these little mouth plops. Delicate fluke texture was infused to perfection. Sexy presentation.

Tempura Rock Shrimp Bun Cole slaw / panko tomato / pickled cucumber / spicy aioli. This just goes to show the versatility of the Gua Bao, Chinese steamed buns, which can be a vessel for just about anything. With a squeeze of lime, grab these sponges, lean over and insert into mouth. Models be extremely careful, spillage could occur. A sinful treat.

Fire Scallop Maki Scallop / Avocado / Fried Garlic / Masago / Wasabi Aioli. They had me at fire, but wait there is more, it is wrapped in rice paper. Fire? Yes, they take an actual blow torch and light the roll. It is wonderfully charred with delicious smokiness and creaminess from the masago, mayo, krab topping. Normally, I stay away from mayo toppings, but this looks very light. Knock out.

This was a light lunch. But I really want to try a ramen dish. Next time. The flavors were very pronounced and textures stood out individually. Combining these ingredients in such a clever way attest to the thought put into this menu. After all, it is Japanese cuisine in Miami. I like to think of Miami as not part of the US, but mostly global with a heavy South American and European influences. Machiya has managed to capture the palate representative of it’s local patrons. When will Orlando ever embrace these flavors?

• Visited February 2013
miami
“Beautiful Decor”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

They have the most beautiful decor. Food was fantastic everything was delicious not dissappointed at all it was just perfect for me. Cocktail was also great they sure are not shady with the alcohol lol I love it. Def will be back and recommend it to all my friends.

• Visited February 2013
Miami, Florida, United States
“Excellent sushi!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I ate here last night. I was drawn in by the sandwich board boasting half price sushi rolls. I don't know if they do this every Sunday, but I ordered 2 sushi rolls and my bills was $12!! For this price, you expect very little, but I must say this was QUALITY sushi. I'm very picky about my sushi as well.

The downside: service was slow and disorganized. One man seated me and told me my server would be with me shortly, but then he kept coming around asking me if there was anything I needed as though he was my waiter...and he did not appear to be the owner. Also one roll came out after 5-10 minutes, but the second roll didn't come out for another 10 minutes or so. But hey, when you're paying half price, you don't really complain. Long story short--> I would definitely go back! Especially for half price sushi.

• Visited January 2013