“Daughter was bit by tiger cub”

Zoological Wildlife Foundation
Ranked #6 of 307 things to do in Miami
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: ZWF Miami is the only zoo in South Florida with as many animal encounters. We carry more than 40 exotic species at our facility with many available for interactive activities involving our guests. The five acre zoo houses everything from domestic animals and primates to large predatory birds and mammals. Some of our popular selection of exotic zoo animals are Chimpanzees, Gibbon Apes, Sloths, Lemurs, Owls, Snakes, Anteater, Lions Cub,, Tiger Cubs, Ligers, Black Jaguar, and mischievous Capuchin monkeys - like those used in many movies. The Zoological Wildlife Foundation offers intimate tours and private encounters by appointment. Contact us to schedule a special tour with our exotic animals! It's an experience you will never forget!
Reviewed January 7, 2017 via mobile

Well had a nice visit till my daughter was bit by a tiger cub. I think it was not a common occurrence, but I do blame the fact that the guide did not have control over the animal. My daughter is fine and required only 3 stitches but it did put a damper on our vacation because she was told to rest and not put stress on her leg. They did check in with us but did not pick up any of our medical expenses, which is ok. And I had to ask for a refund, it was not offered. I was not happy about that part.

21  Thank Anne G
Maria T, Owner at Zoological Wildlife Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2017

Dear Anne, we are sincerely apologetic for the turn out of you and your families visit.

At ZWF we take pride in the caring of our animals and providing the unique possibility of sharing an up close personal experience with them. Considering our animals can be “a bit playful”, our foundation is focused on creating a safe environment for our visitors and furry friends.

As you mentioned, this was a rare incident and we hope it did not define your overall experience.

We are surprised you did not mention in your review that a full refund was made: We have documented proof you received a full refund of $642. Though I am aware that it was a bad experience due to the incident, you must admit that every step was taken to do our very best in every aspect. Including follow up calls.

We wish Charlotte the best I hope she continues to be brave for future adventures.
Mario, the director that spoke with you and tended to Charlotte still stands with his offer to personally be the handler whenever you are back in town to give you and your family a wonderful experience at no cost to you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)
All reviews
in 18 reviews
"regular zoo"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed January 6, 2017

Pricey but worth it tour of private zoo. We paid extra for a tiger cub session. The cub wasn't cooperating so they gave us a few other choices. We went for the sloth and I am so glad we did. It was the dearest things ever to hold and snuggle with. While we were waiting the handler noticed my daughter was enchanted with the otters and brought one out for her to meet as well. In all we had the chance to interact one-on-one with 10-12 different animals. Truly amazing visit and well worth the price of admission plus the long drive from South Beach. I justified the price thinking this would be a once-in-a-lifetime type activity but now I can't wait to go back again.

I suppose some might have been disappointed to pay for the cub encounter but not be able to play with it but I appreciated that they respected the animal and didn't push it to interact with humans when it didn't want to.

Date of experience: April 2016
2  Thank frisbee_jr
Reviewed January 4, 2017

The different between this and Zoo Miami is that it's a much smaller area to walk and the animals are right there in front of you. You get super close to them. You can't walk around on your own. You must make a reservation and go with a guide who tells you about each animal. The one hour tour actually lasts a little longer than that. (1:15) After they take you around you end up in a covered area where you get to touch, pet and hold a variety of animals. (Owl, snake, turtles, bird, armadillo, monkey) The last animal they bring out is the monkey. The kids absolutely love being able to hold & touch the animals.

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed January 1, 2017

I heard about this foundation through a friend, so I decided to try it on my birthday. My brother and I did the Special Wildlife Encounter and it was absolutely amazing. Our tour guide, Andrea, was fantastic. I would totally recommend her. We got to touch/hold/feed 15+ different animals. If you are an animal lover, you definitely need to visit.

1  Thank alissa t
See more reviews
Reviewed January 1, 2017

This place is cool but overpriced.

We did the general tour. You walk around for about an hour seeing animals as the tour guide tells you a bit about them. Monkeys and otters will reach their hands and tails out to you so you get to touch them a bit. This was one of the things I was looking forward to the most - but the tour guide was so rushed, I didn't get to play with the monkeys for more than a couple minutes.

DO NOT BUY THE 5 MINUTE TIGER CUB SESSION. Buy the $40 one that allows you to take 2 pictures with the cub. I bought the $80 one that allows you to spend 5 minutes. As I watched other groups who did the $40 one, I realized they ended up spending about 5 minutes with the cub anyway, because it takes a while to get 2 good photos. So I paid double the price for the same amount of time.
T
o the staff, I would recommend not rushing your groups through the tour. This is the only reason I consider this place overpriced.

2  Thank Sara C