“There's nothing like it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa
Ranked #2 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Miami
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Pritikin Center follows the eating and exercise plan of Nathan Pritikin, who said "All I want to do is cure heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and obesity." As the quote suggests, the focus is on health rather than weight loss, but weight loss happens. My husband and I have been here for two weeks (which I'd recommend for a first time stay). In that time, our weight/cholesterol/blood pressure/blood sugar have all dropped, his dramatically. We have exercised more than in the last 30 years and eaten more strategically than on any diet we've ever tried. Eating is simple--no fat, no salt, no sugar--but you need the program to learn how to do it in your own life. Virtually everyone here tells a story of dramatic life change, and generously share tips on how to follow through when you leave here. Some people come annually, some more often, and many have been doing so for decades. Overall, the Pritikin program combines five great characteristics: it's intelligent, delicious, gorgeous, healthy, and it's fun.
OK: of the many excellent features I'll just mention a few. The facility is very handsome (at present it's adjacent to the Doral Resort and Country Club) and convenient in terms of organization of services. We're staying in a suite because it's so close to the main building but rooms elsewhere here are also available. The food is delicious, varied, creative, and you're taught how to prepare it in daily cooking school sessions. The Fitness Center is great (it features diverse machines, yoga and aerobic studios, 3 pools, etc) but it's the staff who are truly remarkable. I hate exercise and fitness centers and the whole bit but here I've been taught how to use the equipment, encouraged to go at my own pace (or a little faster!), and had reasons for things explained.
The biggest surprise has been the lectures, given by physicians and other health professionals. In content and presentation, these are amazing. Everything from conceptual information about how the body works to the details of reading labels in the supermarket. As I write this, I'm about to go out to dinner to learn how to order strategically. So theory and practice, as it should be. And did I mention fun?

Room Tip: We got a suite but it's gigantic and probably not necessary for most. Only drawbacks: no micro...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paula T
There are newer reviews for Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a superbly well run facility, with a dedicated staff and tons of life-changing practical advice. The lectures are compelling, and they cover diet, exercise, and key health problems very thoroughly. The food is quite good, though you have to find the things you like. The doctors are willing to spend a great deal of time with you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cary N
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Truly a life changing experience!
Staff are experienced and very helpful. Excellent workouts .. Food a always available and always healthy.
I stayed I the t suite with my girlfriend and the space was wonderful. We had our own space and room to move .

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Amyholmes1968
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Wow! What a great place! Pritikin is part of the Doral resort. The grounds and facilities are incredibly beautiful, the service impeccable. Doral=golf resort; Pritikin=healthy eating and exercise. Yes, it's a great weight loss program (no salt, no fat, no sugar), but it works virtually for everyone. I came here just 4 days ago and am off blood pressure medicine for the first time in 15 years! The exercises range from cardio to yoga and tai chi to strength training, always a lot to choose from. Pritikin is well worth the extra money as compared to other weight loss centers. And I haven't even told readers yet about the most excellent spa! 3 heated, salt water pools! Nothing better anywhere!

Room Tip: ask for second or third floors...FL has bugs!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I arrived worried about my health - I left with a whole new way of living. The food is excellent (once I got used to less salt), the staff superb. Nothing is too much trouble for the doctors, nutrionists, exercise staff, dining room ...

I particulary like that losing weight is a side-effect, not the main focus!

I cannot recommend Pritikin highly enough both for a visit, and as a way of living. I will be back!

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I came to lose weight, but I now have a new lifestyle. The education is based on medical research. I am amazed about how much I have learned. Cooking school here has made me realize healthy eating tastes great too! The doctors, medical staff, exercise instructors, and nutritional staff work together as team so for the first time I have an individual blueprint for a healthy life.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

If you're looking for a health & wellness resort/spa, this is certainly the place! The program is fantastic, the staff and health professionals are helpful and knowledgeable and it's amazing what you can achieve with the right tools in place. Pritikin provides those tools. Wish I could stay another 2 weeks. Lifestyle change will be a permanent one this round!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Airport West/Doral
Hilton Garden Inn Miami Dolphin Mall
Hyatt Place Miami Airport-West/Doral
Hilton Garden Inn Miami Airport West
Marriott's Villas at Doral
Holiday Inn Express Miami Airport Doral Area

Been to Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa? Share your experiences!