All reviews blood pressure life changing weight loss exercise program no salt medical staff heart disease blood sugar healthier lifestyle eat healthier stay healthy spent two weeks nutrition cholesterol lecture medication fats
Reviewed October 15, 2012

There is nothing like the Pritikin Institute for changing your lifestyle and perhaps increasing your life than this facility.
Who knew that eating no salt,no sugar and no fat could lower your blood pressure significantly and reduce the medication needed to do so with the diet we ordinarily follow.
The staff is knowledgable,friendly and caring.
Where else are you able to sit and talk to a doctor at length about what health concerns you have? Where else are you monitored as you exercise?
Definitely give it a try.

Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I am not going to review the Pritikin aspect of the program, as the food, lectures and fitness aspects are as reported by other reviewers. Instead, I am going to comment on the apparently disconnected and unengaged management. For example, the indoor pool heater is broken, and I see no hope that it will be repaired. There is no information on progress, not only on this issue, but on the ladies room, which has been out of order for 3 weeks, or the washing machine which has been inoperable for a month. Just a few examples, BTW.

More than that, whoever runs the dang place is invisible. No welcome letter, absolutely no attention to quality of the facilities, no "hi, thanks for coming" And the list goes on. Pritikin is a great program, but if I was running the show, I'd fire the COO and GM and hire some people who are service oriented and understanding of the fact that the guests are their best sales team.

• Stayed: September 2012
11  Thank Irreverenttraveler
PritikinCenter, General Manager at Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am Hubert Wewer, the General Manager at Pritikin. I am happy to hear that you think well of the Pritikin food, fitness, and education program, and I deeply apologize for the hotel inconveniences you encountered.

I am also sorry that you did not receive my “Welcome Card,” which should have been attached to the “Arrivals Package” given to all guests the day they arrive at Pritikin. On the card are my direct phone number and office location, and my assurance that my door is always open. To personally answer our guests’ needs, I also attend our meet-and-greet parties, held every Monday afternoon. Like you, I firmly believe that “our guests are our best sales team,” and it pains me to think that I so thoroughly missed communicating with you.

I should have, first of all, informed you of the progress with the pool. After we heard that it had been out of the order over the weekend, we ordered a new heater element Monday morning. It arrived Tuesday, and we installed it Tuesday.

I regret any hotel malfunctions, but what I regret even more is your displeasure. Surely, with the rainy weather we recently had, you would have preferred the indoor pool to our two outdoor pools. And you would have appreciated knowing that we were in fact taking care of the problem.

The washing machine was replaced on September 27, and you are absolutely correct – it took too long. We lost days in our attempts to repair it, then days more in ordering, shipping, and installing new equipment. Once again, what bothers me most is the breakdown in communication. I – or another staff member – should have informed you that we have an alternative to the washing machines – a superb wash-and-fold service.

Unfortunately, one of the two women’s bathrooms on our main floor will be out of order for a while longer because it requires a large construction repair as well as acquisition of appropriate permits from the city. We’re making good progress, however.

In closing, I thank you greatly for your overall favorable rating. I also thank you for taking the time to write down your comments. Through constructive criticisms like yours, we learn and improve.

It is my fondest hope that in the near future you will return to the Pritikin Longevity Center so that you can continue enjoying the benefits of our renowned health and fitness program. And I promise you, I will do my best to ensure that you also enjoy a hotel management team that is spectacularly involved, a team devoted to making your stay the absolute best it can

In addition to this Trip Advisor reply, I will also be sending you a private reply.

Healthy regards,
Hubert Wewer

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I am a guest/patient at the Pritikin Longevity Center and Spa located at the Doral resort. The facilities are beautiful and the service is a-1. I am here for weight loss and general conditioning .
I exercise daily and eat the Pritikin diet. I have lost a pound a day while here for the first 6 days. My vital signs are inproved and i feel great. I am staying for two weeks but it is going so well I may extend another week. The lectures on nutrition and life style are resonating with me as I realize i can follow the Pritikin life style.The others in my group are getting fantastic results with reducing hypertension and other diseases. Above all the personal attention I am getting is beyond my expectations.All they promised is here.

Room Tip: the spa is best
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank bill z
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was blown away by the very best of healthy, tasty food.
I can't get enough of the Pritikin fare!
Wonderful accomodations in a stunningly beautiful location.
Motivating and qualified fitness instructors, regardless of your current physical condition! Varied exercise classes available for everyone's tastes and abilities! The staff really engages with the guests.
Educational. Doctors provide us with informative lectures, truly giving us insight to eating well, getting exercise and looking after our health.
A very well rounded healthy experience. I loved it and can't wait to return!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I attended with my adult daughter. She is thin and fit. My goals were to control my blood pressure and change my lifestyle to eat healthier, lose weight and develop an exercise routine. We both really enjoyed the program. We attended every lecture - they were excellent. We also participated in the available exercise classes and cooking classes- also excellent. The staff is also wonderful. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who wants to change to a healthier lifestyle, especially those at risk or suffering from heart disease or diabetes.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family