“Dine Before You Shop”

Cuisines: Latin
Description: HoursMon-Sun 7 am - 7 pmOpen Now
Description: HoursMon-Sun 7 am - 7 pmOpen Now
Reviewed September 14, 2016

My spouse and I dined at El Nuevo Siglo on a Saturday morning in early July 2016. El Nuevo Siglo is a supermarket and café that is located in the Little Havana neighborhood of Miami, on SW 8th Street (or “Calle Ocho”, which means “Eighth Street” in Spanish) at SW 13th Avenue. Its name “El Nuevo Siglo” means “The New Century” in Spanish. It is open daily from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm.

El Nuevo Siglo is a full-service grocery store, including a butcher counter, pastry counter, fresh, frozen, and packaged foods, and beverages (both alcoholic and non- alcoholic). Although our local supermarket sells Goya and other Latin products, we enjoyed perusing the wider variety of items at El Nuevo Siglo was (for instance, we saw jarred pacaya palm, frozen tamales, and so on).

You can sit at the long diner-style lunch counter or at one of the four or five wooden high-top tables with captain’s chairs (bar stools). The staff cook right in front of the customer in a no-frills environment.

We ordered the Cuban sandwich, which was large enough for two people to share. We wish that we had been hungry enough to try one of the chilled desserts that are displayed in a refrigerated case atop the lunch counter, because they looked delicious, although it would have been hard to choose just one from the appealing selection of panna cotta, tres leches, flan, etc. that were available. Portions are large, prices are reasonable, the menu is multi-lingual (one side in Spanish and the other side in English), and daily special dishes are offered. (We wish that we visited on Sunday, when the special is oxtail.) Staff and local diners were welcoming– in particular, a regular customer named Santiago who recommended various dishes to us.

When you are in Little Havana, stop by El Nuevo Siglo to pick up some Latin products and enjoy a good meal!

Date of visit: July 2016
Write a reviewReviews (46)

Reviewed May 14, 2016

At Nuevo Siglo you'll get excellent Cuban food at very good value prices. Quick and friendly service too. Great location in the heart of Little Havana, opposite the end of the Cuban Memorial Avenue. The filete de pargo (snapper) with beans, rice and plantain was fantastic. The fresh squeezed orange juice must be the best in Florida! Great coffee too. En este local se puede hablar ingles o castellano, por supuesto. De veras un sitio excelente - no lo pierdas!!

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank Chazza D
Reviewed March 12, 2016 via mobile

Avoiding the forced sales job on the restaurant at which the Hop on Hop off bus drops you, we crossed the street and walked to the right for a couple of blocks. This place we missed at first, but were glad we went back and looked in. No English is spoken, although the menu usefully is in both English and Spanish, so its not hard to make yourself understood. Get your beer from the grocery store coolers, order, and prepare for lots of food. The grilled fish was excellent. Not four stars like a gourmet place, but four for friendliness, local ambience, good food, and excellent service.

Date of visit: March 2016
2  Thank gwilliams
Reviewed February 20, 2016

Go early, before 6 pm at least. The specials of the day usually sell out. Plenty of food, small counter service to sit down and maybe 3 tables. Prices are very good and plentiful food. My favorite is the breaded steak with rice, black beans and plantains. My husband loves the liver. I like the vaca frita and their portions are big enough to take home left overs...

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed January 30, 2016

My husband and I came here from a Hop-on Hop-off bus tour, which dropped us off down the street at a much more expensive restaurant. We found this place by looking at Yelp reviews and we're so glad we did. This is a grocery store with a diner inside. All of the menus were in Spanish, but I pretty much knew what I wanted. When the waitress came over to take our order, she did not speak English, so I pointed at a fellow diner's plate to indicate that was what I wanted. My husband and I split a plate of ground beef with rice and beans and plantains. Everything was delicious! I was in heaven and never wanted to leave. There is also a bakery in the back of the store where I found empanadas. Our whole meal, with soda, coffee, and an empanada was less than $10! My stomach was so happy :-)

Date of visit: January 2016
Review collected in partnership with ASUS 12 W8 IE Bookmark
2  Thank abtisam1

Been to El Nuevo Siglo Supermarket? Share your experiences!