“A Good Value and Decent Food”

Luis Galindo Latin America
Ranked #297 of 4,366 Restaurants in Miami
Cuisines: Cuban
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Luis Galindo Latin American (LGLA) has been around for quite some time. The restaurant/cafeteria offers typical Cuban fare at very reasonable prices. On a recent trip to Miami (January 2014), my partner and I had breakfast and lunch there several times. The menu does not vary much, although there are specials every day.

First, breakfast. You can have a very satisfying breakfast at this eatery, consisting of eggs, bacon, potatoes, Cuban toast, and "cafe con leche" for less than $5. The "cafe con leche" itself, generously served in a mug of hot milk (no skim milk here - sorry dieters) and freshly made Cuban (espresso) coffee is filling by itself. Add to that the eggs, bacon (or sausage), potatoes and an equally generous serving of delicious toasted and buttered Cuban bread and you don't need to eat very much at all for the rest of the day. The breakfast menu is not very long (no pancakes, waffles, or French toast are served). On my first visit, I had a ham and onion omelet that was perfectly cooked and big enough for two.

For dinner, I had the classic Cuban "picadillo" (sauteed ground beef with tomato sauce, olives, and raisins) with whitr rice, black beans, and sweet fried plantains ("maduros," as the locals call them). On another occasion, I had the "boliche" (another Cuban classic: braised eye round until it becomes quite tender) with "moros" ( rice and beans) and "maduros). The dishes were flavorful, NOT greasy, and served in generous portions.

Don't expect fancy food here, or a fancy decor (the restaurant could use a good paint job). This busy restaurant is noisy; the service is friendly; and the prices are extremely reasonable. If you want honest, down home Cuban food, then this is a place not to miss. By the way, the "croquetas de jamon": (ham croquettes) are also quite good and they make excellent shakes ("batidos") with fresh fruit.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

The bakery dining area of this popular Cuban restaurant is a clean, bright place to start your day. Cafe con leche is excellent and over-medium eggs are fried perfectly. Cuban toast is tasteless and soggy, the ham is average, and tater tots are greasy. Breakfast at rock-bottom prices is served until noon.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

This is a great little Bakery right next to the parents house. This little cuban bakery does have it all. Coffee is excellent.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is not a high end fancy restaurant,but the food could be put into one and you would never know the difference.It probably was the best meal my wife and I had during our recent Florida trip.I speak very little Spanish,but the staff made us feel very comfortable.My wife had the pork chunks and I had the steak with garlic sauce,WOW.We shared a fan for dessert,but I easily could have eaten it by myself.The meal with taxes and tip was under 30.00-crazy.We travel to Florida a lot,we will make it a point to stop here at least once every trip.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I visit Miami several times a year, each visit I will eat at least one breakfast, lunch, and dinner here. It is about as authentic Cuban food as you can get anywhere. There are other excellent restaurants in Miami, Cuban and otherwise, but for home cooked Cuban food, this is where I go.
The servings are huge and it is very reasonably priced.

The breakfasts are a bargain. I love their cafe con leche with Cuban toast.

The Cuban sandwiches and Media Noche sandwiches are fantastic. The are made with plenty of ham and pork and the pork is always very lean. The bread is just right every time. On my way to the airport, I will stop and pick up 2 or 3 sandwiches to take home with me.

The menu for lunch and dinner is extensive. There are daily specials which cost a little less than the the menu items. The ropa vieja (shredded beef), vaca frita (fried shredded beef with onions), and fried pork chunks are delicious. Every entree is served with white rice, congri (rice cooked in red kidney bean water), or moros (rice cooked in black bean water). The congri and moros are delicious. Surprisingly enough, I like those so much, I have never ordered their black beans. If the other dishes are any indication, they will be delicious too.

For sides, you have a choice of fried plantains or yucca. Both are excellent.

The servings are large enough to stuff 2 people, and I rarely eat the whole plate.

If you have room after your dinner, try the flan.

Been to Luis Galindo Latin America? Share your experiences!