“Fantastic Meal”
Review of Tuyo Restaurant

Tuyo Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tuyo Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #239 of 4,282 Restaurants in Miami
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Transit: Metrorail
Description: Tuyo sits atop Miami Dade College's Miami Culinary Institute, offering a spectacular view of the bay and Miami skyline. Its breakthrough recipe for culinary excellence in the 21st century infuses a trailblazing menu with the Institute's state-of-the-art approach to the culinary arts, setting the table for food culture innovation by focusing on environmentally sound practices and drawing upon the food grown locally and in the Institute's edible organic garden.
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This is one of the best places in Miami. Having opened just 3 or 4 months ago, its no surprise to me that the place is already fabulous, as it's being run by Norman Van Aken... one of the best chefs in the USA. I used to love his place Norman's in Coral Gables and I'm so glad to see the chef back... and better than ever.

We were in town for the Food and Wine Festival in South Beach and decided to check out this new spot. Had an amazing tasting menu and some excellent wines from their well chosen list. Also, great views... located near the AA Arena. Highly recommend going.

3  Thank WINEandTRAVEL

Reviewed January 29, 2012

I must first admit that i have been a fan of Chef Norman for many years, since his early days in Key West. I have been fortunate to sample many of his meals at four different venues before, but i have never had a better meal or dining experience than at Tuyo. The service was warm and attentive, without overdoing it. The ambiance is stunning, and the food did not disappoint. We had the conch chowder and Oyster Pan stew to begin, and there was an incredible explosion of taste and texture in my oyster dish. I was initially disappointed in the smallish serving when i received it, but it was totally satisfying. The yellowtail snapper and the Pompano were excellent, again a feast of flavors and inventive combinations, which even carried over to the pumpkin cheesecake. I look forward to visiting again next time in Miami. Kudos to Chef VanAken, i was truly impressed once again with how great a meal can be!

Reviewed January 21, 2012

First course was RAW ceviche not cooked in lemon or lime as it should have been prepared. The chef's signature ,Key West fish, dish sat on a mound of mashed potatoes, topped by super salty spinach, almost to salty to eat.
The bread, ambiance and service were very good but not worth the high price.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

This is my wife and my first time visiting the Miami area. An acquaintance of mine, who is a chef, suggested Tuyo. Chef Norman Van Aken has a creative menu that, as suggested,"Every season brings new flavors to our pantry"

We were greeted at the door by a gentleman who,while we waited for our table, took us on a short tour of the facility which is mostly comprised of culinary school on the lower floors. Tuyo is situated at the top of the building with great views of Downtown Miami. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming with candle-lit tables and smart decor..

For an entree my wife had the Pan Cooked Fillet of Key West Yellow tail. It was one of the best prepared dishes she had in a while. The flavor was enhanced by the wonderful citrus butter sauce and the garlicky mashed potatoes were a nice compliment. I had the Grilled Pompano and Brazilian mussels in a "stew" of tomatoes, onions, and rice which was served with a sea urchin sauce. The Pompano fish was delicious and the sauce and stew and mussels combined well for nice surprise.

For desert we had the Fallen Chocolate Souffle which ended the meal nicely.

Overall it was a great choice! We heard several people asking for seats with a better view of the city scape. We were fine with ours. the tables were close and a window seat afforded a little more intimacy. My only request of Tuyo is to keep the online menu up to date. There were a few things on the online menu that we had our heart set on but were no longer available.

2  Thank Allante1
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I love everythink. Wines, food, service. For sure I come back!

Been to Tuyo Restaurant? Share your experiences!