“Good budget choice (3 1/2 "stars")” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Midtown Inn Miami

Midtown Inn Miami
Ranked #95 of 121 Hotels in Miami
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Good budget choice (3 1/2 "stars")”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I travelled to downtown Miami for a special annual event. I've now stayed at three different hotels/motels in the area over the past five years, including the Holiday Inn (Best Western) Port of Miami and the (Riande) Continental Bayside hotels.

This room was spacious, containing a more-than-double bed, table and two chairs, armchair, tv, mini-fridge and microwave. The carpet, bathroom, bed, and dressing area counter were clean, although I did find a dead (longtime dead) baby cockroach in the fridge. Based on some other reviews (bedbugs, roaches, airport flight path noise, etc.) I was a little hesitant about staying here, but the price was unbeatable for this location. I called three weeks in advance and asked if all or any of the rooms had stall showers (This being a motel, I thought it more likely than a hotel). There was only one, and it was reserved for me.

When I arrived at 8:30am on Nov. 17, I of course could not check in yet, but the desk clerk locked in the room for me, and I left. When I actually checked in at about 7:30pm, all was well (almost). The light switch by the door did not work (the lamp was unplugged, it turned out), and the smoke alarm was beeping (battery going bad). These problems were resolved immediately. There were no bedbugs or live roaches, and the noise of the planes was more than camouflaged by the constant noise (just like all motels from the 50s and 60s that I remember) from the large room air conditioner. The compressor switched quietly on and off, but the motor ran non-stop. My wake-up call rang precisely at the time I requested. The staff could not have been more attentive or friendly. The tv had over 40 channels, which is twice as many as I've ever had before, the fridge cooled my food quickly, and I slept wonderfully. I understand a free breakfast of coffee and doughnuts is provided, and I was told that it was tasty, but I didn't stay for it. All in all, it was well worth the money, and I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 101 has the stall shower, and is next door to the office, near the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank RoseNThal1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

There's a reason why this hotel is so cheap! I pre-paid through priceline, for a four night stay at Midtown Inn. We got to Miami around 10pm on a friday night. As soon as we checked-in, I was scoping around our room and found a CoCkRoaCH when I opened the fridge! EeWwWw.. The room we got had that dirty feel to it and a damp smell. I complained to whoever it was at the front desk, he didn't really care much and just handed us a different key to another room. The second room we got looked a little bit better than the first. BuT as I was checking the room, I flipped the comforter away from the bed and saw BeD StAiNS and BeD BuGS! GrOsS! We even took a photo of the bugs! AT this point I was not comfortable staying at this Inn but we had no choice since it was already close to midnight. We got transferred to another room ( for the 3rd time!) and decided to stay for the night and just check-out the next day.
We checked out on saturday morning, I told the person on the front desk that I prepaid for my stay for 4 nights, he said I just need to contact priceline about this and inform them my situation. I thought my ordeal with this place is over.. NoOtTt! Turns out, priceline will not give me a refund for my stay, since Midtown Inn is not giving them a refund as well. AAHH! I called Midtown Inn's manager and complained. She gave me an attitude! Never returned any calls from me. I had to keep on calling them regarding my status (almosst everyday for a couple of weeks!). In the end, She said she's not giving me my refund since they "reserved" 4 nights for me and I told them I checked out the next day!! I only stayed for OnE night and I'm paying for 4 nights??! She said they're loosing money if they will give me a refund!! StillL DiDn'T GeT My MoNeY BacK! I DoN'T KnoW WhaT To Do AnYmOrE!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sammy R
Poznan, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Great location to both down town and South/Miami Beaches. For traveling on a budget, this place was everything my group needed and more. We walked to down town every day and night, and baring traffic to south beach it was only a brief cab ride. The day staff was great and very helpful, but at night the guy who worked the desk was a real jerk. He would yell at us for being outside of the room, even if we weren't making any noise. All in all, a great value stay, especially if your looking for fun for a certain 3 day long concert that takes place downtown ;-). Check out must be timely, because the surcharge. Very poor breakfast (Eating standing up).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mery_master
Chicopee, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Ok for price. Not to clean though. Good location. Right down street from bayside mall. Ok if u need a cheap overnight stay somewhere

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank NPT1975
Curitiba, Brasil
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We purchased a room specifically with shuttle included to/from airport/port of miami. We received one trip from hotel to port, but making the second trip encountered rudeness from the clerk and a failure to comply with the conditions of sale, so that we had to pay the shuttle ourselves, after having paid the hotel. As if this were not bad enough, after writing 5 letters to the owner, Doug Patel, he pretended to be stupid, said he couldn't understand my plain English and has refused to do anything to rectify the fraud committed. In terms of the room, ours was OK, newly redecorated, but the staff are incompetent. Don't trust what is promised on their website. Even when they are wrong, they won't correct their mistakes.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DerekRichard
chatham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Where do I start.... DO NOT ENTER should be the welcome sign!
2 dirty diapers in the parking lot, rancid smell of pine sol, bugs walking on the carpet in room and office not to mention the BLACK mould in the bathroom which was quite fitting to the bath tub that was literally 30% rusted. Did we stay.... "HELL NO!" went to nearest pharmacy to buy disinfectant wipes to rid of germs lurching the place. Very rough part of town, not a safe place for the night time life unless you don't mind beggars and hispanics lurking the parking area.

Credit back to my Visa was not an issue as he stated this isn't the first time people have complained but they screwed me for a 1 night stay upon returning from our cruise. What did they think I was coming back!?!? Visa company in process of disputing charges.

Room Tip: Do not enter!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family