“Great stay, great service.”

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
Ranked #22 of 124 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed July 11, 2014

My personal experience at the Sonesta Coconut Grove was positive. The staff is very attentive and friendly, my room was spacious, clean with a great view of Biscayne Bay. One particular encounter that stands out is the outstanding service and company my associates and I from the manager of the 8th floor restaurant and bar, John Avelino.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Carlos W
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Carlos W
We are glad that you enjoyed a great stay at our hotel. We will be sure to share your comments with John. We hope to see you soon.

There are newer reviews for Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Good:
*Cleaning
*Good toiletries
*Nice view
*Balcony
*stylish lobby

Bad:
*Reception staff was not service oriented at all. Looked tired, bothered and unmotivated.
* Overpriced
*Had to make a reservation at the restaurant in order to watch 4th july fireworks from the pool area.
*Parking is expensive in the area

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Altheo25

Altheo25
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for sharing your comments. We offer competitive room rates for the area and offer specials to our frequent guest through our Travel Pass program. We do require restaurant reservations for holidays and especially for July 4th because of the spectacular view of the fireworks.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I can't say enough about the Sonesta Coconut Grove. It's our home away from home whenever we visit Miami for business or pleasure. The property is stunning and the commitment to keeping it that way is top-notch. And truly, having stayed in many properties throughout Miami and Miami Beach, it has the best water views, bar none. This is one of those properties where you may find yourself never leaving the building. Pool, gym, sauna, Jacuzzi, squash courts, a quiet chaise for reading - it's all there. The 8th floor is the elevated pool and restaurant area. Charming Alex and his colleagues make sure you have everything you need poolside - towels, umbrella, drinks, menus - they are offered but never intrusively. Panorama has a terrific kitchen for dining room, al fresco and room service dining - John, Umberto, Remy, Svetlana and Erda are among the folks who make you feel like you're a member of a private club, not an anonymous hotel guest. The front desk and reservations folks are also a pleasure. Elizabeth Dubon and her team take the time to note their guests' preferences and carry them out for their return visits.
An earlier review mentioned parking. The in and out valet parking is quite reasonable given the attentive service and convenience. It is not, however, the only parking option available to guests. There is street parking right out front and public underground parking right next door.
When you do wander into Coconut Grove, you will love the easy walkability to countless shops, restaurants, water sport and historical attractions, and the Cocowalk complex with its excellent multi-screen moviehouse. Coconut Grove is a wonderful waterfront village within the exciting city of Miami.
Choosing the Sonesta Coconut Grove is never anything less than excellent.
(Oh, I forgot to mention, the hotel has a very impressive art collection. We invited friends to join us for sunset cocktails and they did a double take passing a Rauschenberg in the hallway.)

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

CherylG
Thank you for posting your comments about your experience at our hotel. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your business. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Overall, great hotel experience including pool-side, food & Panorama dining and front desk service.
Still, there were several issues with this hotel:
1. Future guests beware: The website states "Valet Parking is available" and states the price. Fine. What it does not say is, "Valet Parking is the ONLY form of parking allowed." When I asked about alternative options for parking, I was told there weren't any options. So, my stay started on a sour note knowing my cost jumped $25/day.
2. Once in the room, I opened the balcony to realize my "bay view" was actually a city view. Not a big deal, really, but I thought I'd ask. The hotel was full for the night so they moved me the second night.
3. There were two issues in the second room. First the entire wall of outlets by the tv did not work. I called and they sent the hotel engineer to correct the problem. It was close to 11pm at that point. Then I went in the bathroom and realized the commode was "running" water. Not a lot and, in my opinion, not something worth calling again at 11:30pm with a 4am check-out.
4. I was attending a small reunion. We made use of a conference room for dinner. I was surprised to learn the hotel could not provide a tv or projector for a reunion presentation - even when we contacted them in advance to make the request. I thought presentations were pretty standard for conferences regardless the size.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Byron S

Byron S
Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay. We offer valet parking only at our hotel similar to the other hotels in the area. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel that you experienced some maintenance issues in your guest room. Our meeting space can accommodate audio visual equipment however there is an additional charge for the set up and rental of the equipment. We hope that your classmates enjoyed your time in Miami and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Very friendly staff. Nice hotel with great rooftop pool with a great view and location. A little noisy if you are in a street side room because of surrounding area with no fault of the hotel. Valet parking is mandatory but great place to stay if you are not on the beach.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Nate P
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. We are pleased you and your classmates enjoyed your reunion. Like all of the other hotels in Coconut Grove, we offer Valet Parking only but there is lots to do within walking distance so many guests arrive without a vehicle. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

The hotel is good overall.
There is an annoying waitress in the panorama restaurant, middle age, tanned skin and short that has no professional manners, he speaks too loud getting your order that everybody in the room will know what you are having for dinner, not too mention that he stares at your boobs while taking the order. He is not a good fit.
The rest of the staff is corteous and very professional.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J S

JS
Thank you for posting your comments about your stay. We appreciate your feedback and have shared it with our Food and Beverage Manager. We are pleased that your overall experience was good and hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

From my experience, the rooms are focused on the bathrooms. The rooms are comfortable but cramped. The bathrooms could fit a cot! The bathrooms are outfitted with a very wide and angled mirror. The tub is huge and could possibly fit four people. I wish I had a bathroom at home that was such a sanctuary.

Now for the horrible bits... I contacted the "virtual concierge" about getting a spa appointment. I was never contacted back and had to make other arrangements. That was very disappointing and inconvenient. There was construction going on while we were there and it was noisy! It was raining the day we left. The front steps of the hotel were VERY slippery. I even commented to the valet about how slippery they were. I was not offered assistance and the next step I slipped. Moreover I had difficulty getting myself up because I could not get my footing. These steps need something to provide better traction in the rain! I left with a pretty good scrape on my partially skinned toe. That's not a good final impression.

Overall it was a comfortable visit. The location is fantastic - there was no need for my car while there. I'm not sure I would return because of the difficulties I faced while there and just prior to leaving. I would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Tara S

TaraS
We appreciate your comments about your recent stay. We offer several different room types and as such some rooms have larger bathrooms. Please accept my apology that our virtual concierge did not respond quickly to your request. Although your stay was less than perfect, we hope that we might have another opportunity to provide you with the service you have come to expect from Sonesta.