“Fantastic Pool, Nice Location”

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
Ranked #24 of 125 Hotels in Miami
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This hotel is quiet, clean, and friendly. The elevators to the guest room floors require a room key which is nice for safety purposes.

I had the opportunity to chat with some people who work here, and they were sincerely friendly and interesting people.

The pool area was perfect! What an incredible view! Wow! The nice part was the pool area was quiet when I was there mid-day (only about 3-5 people) and it was a hot day.

The rooms were spacious and clean, and my balcony had a wonderful view. I was so impressed by the view and would sit outside on my balcony (table and chairs were there) for hours.

There's a cute area within the block of shops, movie theatre and eateries. ALSO, you can catch the Miami hop-on hop-off double decker bus around the corner. It will take you to downtown Miami, where you can also ride the Miami Beach double decker bus.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel, and would book a room there in the future.

Room Tip: I think I had a "partial ocean view", but I really liked it as I could see the marina and...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank JulesReviews
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

JulesReviews
Thank you for staying at the Sonesta. We appreciate your feedback. Our pool has one of the best views in Miami and is a great place to relax. We hope you will return to Coconut Grove soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in Summer of 2008. I paid considerably less than the current advertised price as I got a deal through Expedia.co.uk. This hotel was finished to a very high standard and the staff were very helpful. The swimming pool was also excellent. Coco Walk is a short walk away from this hotel and we spent most of our nights in restaurants and bars in this area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Luke N

LukeN
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are pleased your enjoyed your visit to our hotel and Coconut Grove. Our prices are competitive with the other hotels in the area. You can also find great deals on our website and if you become a travel pass member, you will receive special offers throughout the year. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I'll get the negatives straight out of the way. If you don't get a bay view room, you get a 'city' view room. From our room on 19th floor we could see Coral Gables and the edge of downtown. We could also see and very much hear the air con units of the roofs below. We could also hear the nightclub across the street playing music until 2 or 3 am. Factor in the fridge in the room that whirs away as loudly as possible and I can say I've had better nights sleep. A request for a room on the other side of the hotel (already requested at the time of booking but not met) could have been fulfilled for a cost. A decent nights sleep is extra it seems.

The Sky Lounge bar and Panorama restaurant is small and pleasant enough but not quite the dining experience the website might lead you to believe.

The room we had was spacious with a fully equipped kitchen (although nothing to cook with if you were to choose to). There is free wifi but you'll need to pay extra if you want it to be fast enough for anything like skype.

The immediate area is great though. Coconut Grove is lovely and there are some great bars and restaurants all within a few minutes walk - Greenstreet Cafe, Lulus and the Grove Spot all worth a mention. The station is a 20 min walk away if you want to take public transport into downtown Miami or South towards the the shopping mall at Dadeview. A taxi to South Beach will cost around $30.

All in, the hotel is okay. It's clean, smart, well staffed and in a great spot. The reception area was beautifully decorated for Christmas and felt welcoming. It's good, but it just isn't great and sucks if you're on the wrong side of the building.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank phil_to_capacity
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Phil-to-capacity
We appreciate your comments and thank you for selecting our hotel for your recent trip to Miami. Like most hotels, we offer different rate categories for different views and room types. The best way to ensure we can accommodate a request is to book that room category or view when making your travel plans. We are pleased you enjoyed the neighborhood and found lots to due within walking distance of the hotel. We hope we will have the opportunity to make your next visit to Coconut Grove a great one.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed for 1 night in Dec. 2013 and paid more than $200 for a double room. The hotel is in a good location and right in walking distance from Coco Walk overlooking the Biscayne Bay. The pool on the 8th floor was nice but this was about it. Our hotel room was very small and furniture was old/worn, hotel floors are extremely ugly and reminded me off a cheap motel. Service/continental breakfast was poor. Would not stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BronzeKitty

Bronzekitty
Thank you for your recent stay and please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel that your accommodations did not meet your expectations. Although we missed the opportunity in terms of service we hope your visit our neighborhood Coconut Grove was enjoyable.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed for over 10 days during December... it must be the 10th time at stay at this hotel (though my son lives in Southbeach) - but always stay at the Sonesta. Service, rooms and spa are great, fabulous view... Always tried to accommodate my needs (in terms of room and early check in, even though I usually arrive from Brasil very early in the morning). Highly recommended. Only one bad experience with a bell boy...
Will be there again in January...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Pierre d

PierreD
Thank you for choosing the Sonesta when your travels bring you to Miami. We appreciate your business and are pleased that your experiences have been great. Your feedback as a returning guest helps us measure our success as we strive for consistency each day. We look forward to your return in January.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I don't write many reviews, but our experience deserves a comment. My family has dietary restrictions and gluten issues, which the cook was happy to accommodate. Frank, our host, was friendly and detail oriented. The meal and service were excellent.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Matthew F

MatthewF
We are pleased that you enjoyed dinning in Panorama and that the Chef, Frank and the entire staff were able to provide you with great food and service. Thank you for dinning with us.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I had booked a single night stay via Expedia for this property at the last minute due to a flight interruption. I chose it based on location in Coconut Grove. It was booked mid-day and I did not arrive until early evening for check-in. Of course, by the time I arrived there were no rooms available and the solution was to walk me to the Mayfair Hotel. It was raining fairly heavily that night and the hotel staff gave fairly poor directions to the Mayfair. Naturally, when we arrived at the Mayfair, they had no rooms either and claim they had informed the manager at the Sonesta we could not be accommodated. There were at least three other families at the Mayfair all in the same situation. We felt the management at Sonesta simply were willing to tell us anything to get us out of their property and clearly the Mayfair was fully booked. After another 2+ hours of waiting around Expedia finally came through with a room across town.

I do travel a lot for business and have been walked before. I understand hotels overbook and mistakes happen. What we were exceptionally frustrated with was the attitude and willingness of the hotel management to do anything to help us, especially at 6pm when it's raining heavily. They blamed Expedia for the mistake and simply sent us on our way. Beyond disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear SFO-World Traveller,
Booking with third party agencies is a great way to find last minute accommodations. On your arrival date your agency advised us that due to a booking error they had relocated you to another hotel and had advised you of the change. When payment is made to the third party we are required to follow their direction regarding reservation changes and these types of relocations. Sometimes these processes do not create the best guest experience. We appreciate your feedback and on behalf of the hotel, I would like to again apologize for all of the inconveniences. It is not something we would like any of our guests to experience and I am sure the same is true for the other hotel.