“Nice Rooms, Nice Location But Not Perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
Ranked #20 of 119 Hotels in Miami
Memphis, Tennessee
“Nice Rooms, Nice Location But Not Perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

The hotel is located conveniently. It is a reasonable drive or taxi ride to most Miami tourist destinations. We enjoyed our room. It was clean and comfortable. The view was very nice, but for what we paid it was nothing special.
In general the service was good, but we waited a very long time for the valet to bring out car one morning. The big insult was the price list for minor toiletry items such as toothbrush or toothpaste that most hotels provide for free.
We may return here if we come back to the area, but we will first look hard for a different hotel in the same area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Jcstich
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your visit. Our valet manager has followed up with his team to ensure we are meeting our retrieval times. We are pleased that the cleanliness and the view were enjoyed.
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

This place is overrated . The rooms are average at best. When I first checked into my suite room the front door would not work at all. I found out that the door lock was broken and it took over an hour to fix.. Ok you might say to your self no big deal except when you get into your room the carpeting is stained and the room it's self looks and feels beat up, far from pristine and top shelf like the all the hotel advertising wants to portray. I needed a roll away bed which i ordered up to the room which was delivered standing upright against the wall not set up. I ended up setting up the bed myself and when I got into the bed the bed springs were sticking into my back. Again to me this is not luxury service. I ended up getting a new bed the next day which was much better. I had dirty glasses in my room which the housekeeper never picked up from 2 days sitting around. There was a bunch of other stuff too like when I went down to the pool to relax and play my mini guitar I was told I can not play it on the pool deck and trust me I was the only one who could hear it and there were maybe only 6 people on the deck on the other side from where I was sitting. I was later told sorry yes you can play.. At night I asked the front desk could they recommend a great local Coconut Groove restaurant, a steak & seafood spot and all they could come up with was chain restaurants and the ridiculously overpriced hotel restaurant. I had a conversation about my dissatisfaction with the hotel manager about everything above and they refunded the cost of the roll away bed.. This place needs a complete renovation, I'm just tired of paying top dollar and getting ripped off.

• 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank JJ H
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Mr. H,
Please accept my apologies again on behalf of the hotel that your stay did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately your two night stay did not allow us the opportunity to address all of your concerns before your departure. Although you preferred not to change rooms, we were able to replace the rollaway and service your room again and I hope the second night of your stay was more enjoyable. Additionally please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your hotel account.
Marrero, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed here for our 15th Wedding Anniversary and enjoyed our visit. The staff was very helpful, friendly and even allowed us to check in early. The food, service and rooms were great. The pool area was very relaxing. I did not want to go back home. Looking forward to our next visit. The guys taking care of our rental car were great as well. The front desk staff was always helpful. Coconut Grove was a nice area. Be sure to visit this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dani-Rich
Happy Anniversary! We are always pleased when we have the opportunity to celebrate special events with our guests. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit and we hope that you will consider coming back every year to celebrate.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had a fabulous experience at the Sonesta Bayfront in Coconut Grove! We flew our colleaugues in from all over the world, 45 of us to be exact, and had a perfect experience from check-in to departure. The meeting room was exactly what we needed, set up and equiped to cater to all of our needs. Speaking of catering-the food was off the charts! The staff was beyond helpful and if I may, I would like to mention Jammie and Carmen as two points of contact that made the entire experience smooth from start to finish. Many Thanks!

Room Tip: I suggest that you request a room higher than the 11th floor (where I was). There is a club very nea...
Lauren F
Thank you for selecting the Sonesta for your recent event. We are pleased that our catering and food and beverage team made such a positive impression. We will be sure to share your feedback with them, especially Carmen and Jamie. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I recently hosted our annual Women's Forum at the Sonesta Coconut Grove. The venue fit perfectly for what we needed. The staff was very helpful, the food was amazing and the accommodations were a good fit for our group. I could see a hotel room renovation in their future, but the rooms were clean and served their purpose. They were very flexible to help fit everything into our budget. We will definitely consider this property again for our next event in the Miami area.

Room Tip: Suggest a Bayfront Room on a high floor. The views are spectacular.
Berms1919
We are pleased that your annual conference was a perfect fit for our hotel. We enjoyed serving your group and hope to see you again next year.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We enjoyed our long weekend stay here, although would have preferred a slightly larger room if we were staying longer. Great pool area and restaurant (delicious ceviche!) and staff that we found VERY accommodating by Miami standards. Great location, as you are an easy stroll to Cocowalk and some of the other more local bars and restaurants. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Erinmoliver
Thank you for sharing about your experience at our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and await your return.
Fort Pierce, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Our weekend here was like a visit to your aunt's, and not your favorite aunt's, old condo in Miami. The hotel is obviously a former condo building that has been converted to a hotel/short-term residence. A decent lobby area, but cold and uncaring reception at check-in. The rooms, although clean, are converted condos with kitchenettes, small bathrooms, a relatively plain sleeping area and balconies that have been separated by canvas walls that block most of the view of the bay that you have paid extra to enjoy. There is a good view from the rooftop pool area but very limited space for swimmers and sunbathers and you must share this space with outdoor tables from the small and unimpressive hotel restaurant. This may be a good refuge for weary international travelers or traveling business people, but it is not worthy of the classification of a luxury hotel.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Traveltc36
Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel that our property did not meet your expectations. We offer many of the same hotel amenities as larger hotels but with a “boutique” style of design. Many of our units have kitchens or kitchenettes which is a great option for some travelers. Thank you for sharing your comments and for staying with us.